Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater

/ Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #1  

HMS

Which is the most economical heat for my insulated 22 X 30 shop in the long run. I have a free, year old, wall type propane heater but have to run a line from tank that supplies my house, about 65', that will cost me about $100. Or, I can buy a 220V baseboard heater from Lowes for about $65. I only use the shop a few days a week in the winter.
Appreciate any input.

Howard

/ Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #2  
Which is the most economical heat for my insulated 22 X 30 shop in the long run. I have a free, year old, wall type propane heater but have to run a line from tank that supplies my house, about 65', that will cost me about $100. Or, I can buy a 220V baseboard heater from Lowes for about $65. I only use the shop a few days a week in the winter.
Appreciate any i
Howard

I HEAT A 24X24 GARAGE 8 FOOT CEILING WITH A 20,000 BTU KEROSEEN HEATER AT 20 DEGRESE IN OHIO.

/ Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #3  
HMS said:
Which is the most economical heat for my insulated 22 X 30 shop in the long run

electric will be the least economical.

/ Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #4  
I heat a shop about the same size shop with a 10,000 btu vent free propane furnace
And with it on low setting it stays 45 degrees, I have 10' ceilings and 2' insulation in attic
And 6" in walls of pole barn. 100 gallon propane tank will last a michigan winter. That's $52 filled

/ Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #5  
In the long run using the propane heater would probably be more economical than an electric heater. You would probably need to buy some electric cable for the baseboard so your initial costs would be similar. You didn't mention the BTU's of the heaters either, that would make a difference as well.

Propane can smell, cause headaches or worse, and is explosive.
Electric smells when burning off the dust, but usually isn't explosive.
Wes

/ Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #6  
My vote would be propane, at least you can use it during a power outage. We used to keep a 40x60 shop comfortable in the winter with 2 5 plaque wall mounts. When you were working on stuff, it was just right. If we needed more, we fired up the wood heat. Now since the shop has grown, we have one of those fancy infared diesel fired heaters, for supplemental heat. The worst thing about propane in a small area, is the moisture output,if your shop is real tight, you may have to crack a window or such to let out the moisture. That is with ventless heaters.I have never been a fan of electric heat, but everyones needs vary. LUTT

/ Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #7  
Electric at $ 0.11 is about $ 33 / million BTUs. Propane at $ 2.75/gallon and a 90% furnace is $ 30 / million BTUs. Not much difference. Thje electric is a cheap install, propane furnace will cost quite a bit more. A simple wall heater (propane) is likely under 90% which makes the operating cost a wash.

paul

/ Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #8  
I have a gas furnace in my garage, that I only kick on when I'm there working. When I am there, I want to heat the place to a comfortable level in a hurry. Baseboard heaters have a long ramp-up time. I'd factor the amount of time you will be in the garage into your equation too.

/ Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #9  
I heat my garage with a used mobile home furnace (80,000 BTU). Bought it from a local furnace service guy cheap. Fuel used is kerosene in a 15 gallon plastic jug. I refill that with 5 gallon jugs and a battery operated pump as needed.

Attachments

• Garage furnace.jpg
    Garage furnace.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 386
   / Shop heat? 220 baseboard or propane wall heater #10  
Propane is the way to go in my opinion. I have a large ceiling unit (vented) in my 30x40 insulted shop and it is very efficient and warms that place right up. Nothing like working in a 70 degree shop when it is below 0 outside