Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,171  
Back from WM they had CF and Shotgun on the shelves NO 22's !

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,172  
Why haven't new manufacturing facilities been opened to produce more ammo? That's the American way, see demand for a product or service and open a business that meets the demand. There is money to be made if prices are high enough and there is a legitimate shortage. Surely a yearlong delay would be enough time to increase capacity and/or add new facilities. Is there something that limits competition among ammo mfgers?

Rim fire ammo is one of the hardest to manufacture and keep the cost down and there isn't much profit, the equipment is expensive and the profit margin is in the larger calibers. The brass, primer chemicals, propellant and lead are all in short supply as well.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,173  
and we are now upon hunting season.

12gbuck and pheasant shot/duck loads, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 7mm mag and 223 will be in higher than ormal demand.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,174  
Rim fire ammo is one of the hardest to manufacture and keep the cost down and there isn't much profit, the equipment is expensive and the profit margin is in the larger calibers. The brass, primer chemicals, propellant and lead are all in short supply as well.

I usually concur with ya, but not this time. If that was true, why was 22LR very reasonable before Sandy Hook?. CCI, Wolf, Remington, Winchester and others were always plentiful locally. The plants that make 22LR are dedicated, they don't make other calibers and those other calibers are all over the shelf now(at least here). So if in fact brass, powder and primer chem was in short supply the centerfire would not be sitting on the shelf....but it is.

I stocked up before SH, so I have not bought a single round of 22LR and have only shot a couple of bricks this year when the kids were up. I'm not shooting much because I really don't think I will be able to buy more in any quantity at reasonable prices.

One more thing, there used to be a video of the CCI plant in Idaho that makes .22LR. It was on several forums and youtube....it was "removed" about 6 months ago.....why?

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,175  
Im not sure I follow you. If it was massive plot, wouldn't they go after 7.62, .223, 9mm, .40, .45, ect.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,176  
It is not a conspiracy, it never was.

It's easy to understand that the manufacturers did not have a lot of excess capacity 12 months ago (pre-panic), it would have been bad business to have a lot of excess capacity.

When the panic-hoarding started it wiped out the existing supply quickly and the normal demand plus residual hoarding and scalping keeps the shelves empty now. Many are seeing the empty shelves and stocking up more than they used to when they get a chance. The "I'll get two bricks instead of one like I used to" factor. Manufacturers are hesitant to invest in more machinery, factories, labor for what they think is a temporary situation. .22 is taking longer to come back than center-fire because it's relatively cheap and the guns are incredibly common so the buyers are more willing to buy "extra" keeping the shelves empty. And yes, there are crazies that are sitting on 100k rounds (and still buying..) of .22LR for whatever doomsday scenario they believe in.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,177  
It is not a conspiracy, it never was.

It's easy to understand that the manufacturers did not have a lot of excess capacity 12 months ago (pre-panic), it would have been bad business to have a lot of excess capacity.

When the panic-hoarding started it wiped out the existing supply quickly and the normal demand plus residual hoarding and scalping keeps the shelves empty now. Many are seeing the empty shelves and stocking up more than they used to when they get a chance. The "I'll get two bricks instead of one like I used to" factor. Manufacturers are hesitant to invest in more machinery, factories, labor for what they think is a temporary situation. .22 is taking longer to come back than center-fire because it's relatively cheap and the guns are incredibly common so the buyers are more willing to buy "extra" keeping the shelves empty. And yes, there are crazies that are sitting on 100k rounds (and still buying..) of .22LR for whatever doomsday scenario they believe in.

That's it in a nutshell guys. ^

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,178  
Just a question without researching it...
...Do they still use nitro glycerin for the charge in the "rim" of rim fire cartridges?...or was that a myth?

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,179  
I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat. All I am saying is that at pre-production capacity we should be seeing more 22LR but we are not. I don't know the answer and I am not leaning towards a conspiracy theory. All I am saying is that all other ammo has pretty much re-bounded except the 22LR. 1.8 billion rounds is a heck of alot of hoarding, especially at today's inflated .22LR prices...retail or gouged.

I ask y'all this, can you name one person that you know personally that has bought more than a total brick of .22LR(retail) in the past year? I can't. Birds of a feather right, gun guys know gun guys.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #1,180  
I bought one brick and one 100 round box in the last year. And 4 handguns (one was a 22LR gift for SIL). SIL scored a brick at the same time I did from Cabelas.

Status
Not open for further replies.