Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #171  
... when some suburban commando talks about being ready for anything with a High point 9mm and a box of shells

lol thats great!!!!

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #172  
Every time there is a news story about a guy with a "virtual arsenal" I cringe. He had a rifle a shotgun, two pistols and hundreds of rounds of ammo!

What would they say about someone with eight rifles, six shotguns, twenty pistols and several thousands of rounds of ammo. Oh and the reloading supplies; thousands of empty cartridges, primers, projectiles and pounds of powder.

This should be a lesson, call me a 70's survivalist, a 21st Century Prepper or plain old hoarder, I'm buying it for myself and my kids!

I know..I have those same thoughts.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #173  
I know..I have those same thoughts.

James, what kind of thoughts?? do we need to come up for a little "intervention":D:laughing:

Got my 1000.5.56 rnds from grace ammo yesterday, sure is "purdy" looking at all that shiny brass in that box!! Paid $429 not to bad at todays prices.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #174  
Glad to hear you have a "starter kit" assembled .I have to laugh when some suburban commando talks about being ready for anything with a High point 9mm and a box of shells ! :laughing:

Make fun of high point, its the only pistol i have not had jam in my hand (except on some of my reloads that had to long OAL). Look up "hi point destruction" on youtube i think its posted by like Moss gun and pawn or something. It will give you new respect for it after watching thier vids of it.

In summery of the video, they put a primed case in the gun no projectile, fill the bore up with blk powder and create a barrel obstruction by HAMMERING a bolt into the barrel about 2 inches, then they use hose clamps to lock the slide in position then remotely pull the trigger, bid not explode it took 2 times to buldge the barrel enough that the slide did not work. They then took it apart sanded the barrel back so the slide would operate, replace the bent fireing pin and it still shot, now accuracy was all over the place and had keyholes but it still fired!!

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #175  
Thats more 22 ammo than i have seen at a gun show and in academy, a local gun store, and walmart combined in more than i have seen in 2 months!! and its all in your store!

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #176  
stopped at 2 local walmarts this morning first one got in some 12 gauge and it was gone in an hour 00 buck and slugs ,the second store had a case of 555 .22lr and in the 20 minutes it took to drive there the last box was sold to the guy in front of me :eek:I talked to at least 15 guys who were doing the same as I looking early friday morning for shells (they restock on thursday nights around here i'm told ) and it's the same story from everyone around here ,Good luck ! Both stores had plenty of 30.06 and not much else ,No pistol rounds and few bird shot and skeet rounds .:thumbdown:

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #177  
I have heard Walmart here you need to be there @7am MWF to see what comes in.

My brother in law got some Fiocchi .223 at Academy yesterday 50rounds for $25.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #178  
Umm I have been buying .243 for 10 years or more and .30 06 for maybe 8+ years I never remember those prices. I even buy the cheapest shelf ammo when I did buy it. either rem Corlokt or Winchester powerpoints. I think the cheapest I remember was maybe $13-15 which is still over $0.50/round.

Not too many years ago, Remington Core-Lokt was $8 for a 20 round box. That's $0.40 a round. I stocked up a 5 year supply of .30-06, .308 and .45/70 at those prices, then bought reloader and dies, plus a bullet mold and sizer for the .45/70, and stocked up on primers.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #179  
i hear ya.

My buddy and I used to hit the range every sunday and shoot 2-3 sets of 25 for clay pigeons in 12g.. untill our shoulders started getting older.. then we went to 20g. same at the rifle stand. we used to shoot 3006/3030/35rem all day.. now we both bring 22lr pistols and rifles. me, a marlin tube feed long gun, and a couple revolvers and a ruger SA pistol. he has a 10-22 long gun and some SA pistol.

we can go thru 50 rnds each just by loading up all our mags and not even fire a shot. his 10-22 has 3 10 rnd mags, a 25 and a 30, plus he has a couple mags for his sa.. i have a couple mags for my sa and my revolvers are like 8 shot..e tc... so it takes us ( doing math ) 136 rounds to fully load our magazines and firearms, before pulling a trigger.

1k round brick goes REAL fast.. a little over 7 volleys and it's not even lunch time and 1k rounds are gone.

52 weeks in a year.. even if we only hit 3 of them... back in the day we were probably burning up 30-40k 22lr per year...

I love my 28 gauge Browning BPS. Shells are expensive and reloading 28 ga is dirt cheap, so I've been reloading for years. Easy on the shoulder, and shoots like a dream.

/ Never thought I see the day 22 lr. ammo. #180  
I just got a call from my grandson who found some .22 of brand for $9+ per box, I passed. I am down to less than fifty rounds I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.