air compressor question

/ air compressor question #1  

snapper

Bronze Member
Do you all think this compressor could stand up to a small engine mechanic using impacts and ratchets?? This would just be light use by a single person and proably a little use every day.. I have one just like it, with an extra five gallon tank, and it works fine for me for a few air tools. So what are your thoughts?? air compressor

Thanks guys!! snapper

/ air compressor question #2  
No personal experience with the DeWalt compressors, but it should do just fine for the uses you asked about. However, if a fellow is a serious small engine mechanic (a professional), I'd recommend a little larger compressor. As with tractors, once you own one you'll find lots of uses for it that you hadn't thought about before you bought it.

/ air compressor question #3  
<font color="blue"> Do you all think this compressor could stand up to a small engine mechanic using impacts and ratchets?? </font>

I assume by small engine you mean lawn tractor/mower engines under 20 hp. If so then this compressor should work ok, though I would opt for a larger unit.

The usual impact wrench normally consumes about 7 scfm and above. As for the air ratchets he may be able to use this compressor as they are usually not air hogs unless you use the larger high speed ones.

As I said before I would go for a larger unit.

/ air compressor question #4  
<font color="blue"> The usual impact wrench normally consumes about 7 scfm and above. </font>
The IR2131 impact wrench, one of the most popular ones around, has an average air consumption of 4.8 cfm. This DeWalt compressor could run the tool, just not get rated torque from it. That being said, I'd opt for a larger compressor as well.

/ air compressor question #5  
I do not think you will have enough C.F.M. for air tools. this compressor looks like it is made for nail guns.

/ air compressor question
well i got one just like it, and with an extra five gallon tank it works quite well. Now you can't get in a hurry or nothin, but is is great for portable use. I have a big 30 gallon campbell hausfeld that i use at home for air tools. Yes the emglo is made for nail guns, but with the 4 gallon and the extra five gallon for a total of 9 galons of air will allow me to take off all the lug nuts on my truck, with my ingersoll 231 impact. and even put them back on after it recharges(which is bout 30 seconds), so if you aint in a hurry it will work fine, but i will steer my friend towards a bigger unit. And besides, kinda hard to throw a big 30 gallon compressor in your truck, or carry it in the house, the little emglos you can, and with an extra tank be able to do what its big brother can do but a whole lot more portable..

Thanks guys!! snapper

/ air compressor question #7  
I've got a Craftsman with a 4 gallon tank, it is rated at 4.5 cfm at 90 psi, which makes it pretty close to the one in the picture. I added a 7 gallon tank and can't run an impact wrench long enough to remove one of the lug nuts from my tractor. If I manage to work fast enough to keep the motor running it will keep up with the bolts on my cultivator, etc. I for one would sure like at least 20 gallons storage for the impact wrench. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ air compressor question #8  
My first question is --- where are you going to put your compressor?

I recently upgraded from an inexpensive 2 gallon tank "1hp" compressor to a 30 gallon tank "6.5 hp" compressor. Every time I use the big baby to fill tires I am oh so tempted to drag out the old unit and put the quick connect back on it.

IT IS LOUD!!!!

So, unless you have an outbuilding 50 ft from where you work, or unless you like wearing hearing protection all the time you work just for when the compressor kicks in ... you might consider either a two stage compressor (they are quieter) or find some place far, FAR away from you to house the compressor /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif