Watcha eating?

/ Watcha eating? #121  
YA but it is REAL HIGH in FIBER (according to the white sheets) so it makes up for it by getting you running to the other room REAL FAST to! So you get LOTS of exercise lol

then you also get to do MORE White Paper work (ok it dont stay WHITE PAPER for long heheheh :D )

We are witty tonight. :D

White paper is a thing of the past. (except for the end use)

"The system has successfully printed skin patches 10 cm square on a pig."

The skin and body parts printer is the wave of the future. Yum Yum!

http://phys.org/news/2011-02-3d-bio-printers-skin-body.html

/ Watcha eating? #122  
Hey David....FAKE SUGAR? Ex-wife of mine was borderline diabetic and she experimented with numerous sweeteners. As for the half-and-half you drink, switch to sugarfree liquid creamer. Much healthier for you.

Bill,

I always thought you were a CRACK Pot, Now I hear you are a Crock of...

I buy half-n-half from an Amish dairy with grass fed cows, WAY healthier than man-made plastic cream... Your ex-wife can have it!

I have no blood sugar issues, no cholesterol issues, no blood pressure issues (unless you pizz me off).

I switched to fake sweetener way back first time I tried the Atkins diet (and it works well for me). I also drink diet coke & diet mt dew...

Thanks for thinking about me, but I'l pass...
David

/ Watcha eating? #123  
I've been eating baby backs for the last 3 days that I cooked on the Big Green Egg. ... Bragging a bit, but I like my ribs better than almost anything you can buy from a BBQ place...

"I cook ribs, but my recipe is nothing special..." Said NO MAN, EVER!

If I meet a man who says something like that, I'll pinch myself hard because I'm asleep and having a nightmare...

I challenge all-oy'all to a duel!

Smoked/grilled/bbq'd Ribs at 3 paces!

(Sounds like an AWESOME TBN party to me)

Be well,
David

/ Watcha eating? #124  
I skipped brekkers but I had Lunch with customers at a swanky place and had a yummy chopped salad with chicken breast and unsweet iced tea.

Dinner was very late, got home late and had to feed horses in the dark. I made myself a leftover burrito thing with an assortment of stuff from the fridge, and warmed it in the oven while I was feeding horses.

I'm finishing with a small smackerel of amish dairy ice cream, the last of the NY Blueberry Cheesecake flavor... :licking:

Be well,
David

/ Watcha eating? #125  
Small amount of homemade stir fried rice. Doesn't sound like much but was a feast for me. I've eaten almost nothing in past 3 days. That nasty stomach flu came to visit the strife and I. 3 days. I've never had it more than one in my life. Whew.

/ Watcha eating? #126  
I much appreciate the thought. I think they'd be a little dry by the time you got here. How about you just post how you prepare your ribs and what sort of rub and cooking parameters you use.[/
QUOTE]

Here you go!

Baby back ribs on the Big Green Egg or your own brand of smoker

INGREDIENTS

2 Slabs nice meaty baby back ribs, thawed, rinsed and patted dry
olive oil or Pam; spray can works best
Rib Rub
Turkey bake-in bag
chunk charcoal
CURED wood chunks for smoking; I prefer about 1/3 Mesquite, 1/3 blackjack oak and 1/3 pecan. Blackjack isn't available everywhere, so regular oak is OK. Hickory is good also. I never use green wood nor do I soak mine.

Lay the ribs in a cookie sheet, bony side up. Spray a fine coat of olive oil on the ribs and add a generous coating of your rubb. I use the #2 almost exclusively.

Turn the ribs over, spray the other side with the olive oil and generously coat the meaty side with the rub. Place into the bake-in bag overnight in the frige. I like to prepare them the day before if I can, but I don't always have that luxury.

I usually add a few chunks of wood to the smoker before I add the burning charcoal on top. I use the chunk charcoal in the Egg, and I start it using the chimney device so I don't have to use charcoal lighter. Add the hot charcoal to the smoker and place the rest of the smoking wood on top. I usually use about 2 or 3 medium size chunks of each on top of the coals. Mesquite is a great smoking wood, but it doesn't take a lot to make the meat bitter, so go easy with it until you learn how much to use.

When the coals are ready, I place the ribs on the grill bony side down. If I cook more than 2 slabs, I use a rib rack but prefer they lie flat. I also cook directly over the coals instead of indirect because I like them to brown a bit. If you insist on a brush on sauce, I recommend Woody's Cooking Sauce.

I set the smoker to cook at about 250 degrees Farenheit or a bit below. It takes about 2 and 1/2 to 3 hours usually for baby backs; much more and they will just fall apart. I start checking them after about 2 hours. The hardest part is deciding when they are done; when a toothpick penetrates the meat easily they are done; look for the ribs to starting pulling away from the ends of the bones.

I like to let them sit for a few minutes until they cool before slicing them up. If you are transporting them say to Grandma's house, wrap them in aluminum foil, and then in a beach towel or two and put them in your small beer cooler. They will stay warm for a couple hours.

Enjoy.

A few comments on rubs...There are a couple commercial rubs I like very much. The first is Bad Byron's Butt Rubb. It is an excellent rub, but it is too spicy for most folks, especially the kids. I also like Cain's BBQ Rub; it is milder and has a great flavor, but it does contain MSG. I have formulated my own rubs; the recipes are below. The # 1 is as close to Bad Byron's Butt Rubb as I could get, but here again, it's fairly spicy hot. The #2 is what I use almost exclusively any more; not too hot for the kids and everyone seems to like it really well.

Sorry, these recipes make a pretty good size batch, but I use a lot of the #2. If you want less, you'll have to go to the conversion charts and cut it down some. When I'm cooking just for myself and Sharn Jean, I usually add a little extra garlic directly to the ribs during the prep phase. There are a lot of prep variations I have used; I often will spread a couple tablespoons of yellow mustard on the ribs, gives them just a hint of vinegar, but here again, you can get too much if you aren't careful.

D.G.'s #1 Rib Rub

1 Cup Paprika
2/3 Cup Black pepper ( mix of regular and coarse ground)
1/2 Cup Granulated Garlic
3 TBSP Salt (fine sea salt; no Iodine added)
3 TBSP Granulated Onion
3 TBSP Chipotle Powder

D.G.'s #2 Rib Rub

1 Cup Paprika
2/3 Cup Black Pepper (mix of regular and coarse ground)
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar (light)
1/3 Cup white Sugar
1/3 Cup Ginger
3 TBSP Granulated Onion
3 TBSP Chipotle Powder
1 TBSP Lemon Pepper

Last edited:
   / Watcha eating? #127  
Oh, kwitcher griping, I have been consuming Meatball Chili with Rotini Pasta for five days straight, lunch and dinner both. I would LOVE to have sloppy joe's and chips for a change...:laughing:

All of you stop it...I'm getting hungry.
I have been on a near zero fat and very low sodium menu for a while and have vegetables, baked fish, rarely chicken and that's it. The closest I have come to beef is to point the correct finger at them when I drive by. You want pancakes and butter? So do I but not on the menu. How about spagetti and meat sauce? Me too but no dice. Maybe a slice of pizza? Well, maybe if homemade on no fat, low salt dough, no salt or fat sauce and only a thimble full of hard cheese. Go figure.

OK, how about cream of wheat and egg-beaters that are egg whites only? For sure you don't but that's on tap for this AM.
Yum, yum grandpa, what's for supper? I can only guess.

/ Watcha eating? #128  
D.G.'s #1 Rib Rub

1 Cup Paprika
2/3 Cup Black pepper ( mix of regular and coarse ground)
3 TBSP Granulated Onion
3 TBSP Chipotle Powder

D.G.'s #2 Rib Rub

1 Cup Paprika
2/3 Cup Black Pepper (mix of regular and coarse ground)
1/3 Cup Brown Sugar (light)
1/3 Cup white Sugar
1/3 Cup Ginger
3 TBSP Granulated Onion
3 TBSP Chipotle Powder
1 TBSP Lemon Pepper

Those BOTH look pretty good, I don't care for sugar in my rub or sauce. I may need to experiment with those.

Thanks for sharing.

I most often start with some hungarian Szeged Rib Rub, and I add garlic powder and black pepper.
I need to try the olive oil first trick too...

:licking:
I LOVE to eat ribs...
David

/ Watcha eating? #129  

Cruzer, thank you very much for taking the time to share those recipes. I have clipped them and added it to my recipe file to try this summer. I'm gonna have to do some math to make smaller quantities of your rubs so I can try both. Looking at the ingredients I don't see why #1 is so much hotter than #2.

I have a nice charcoal grill/smoker but I only use it in fair weather. Winter grilling is for me limited to a gas Weber and that won't do for ribs. Our local BBQ store sells the Egg and various flavoring woods so I'll go have a look. I am aware that people love the Egg but I haven't gotten to that level yet. My Texan barbecue buddy seems happy with the old kettle Weber but I keep hearing about the Egg so I'll do a little more investigating.

/ Watcha eating? #130  
All of you stop it...I'm getting hungry.
I have been on a near zero fat and very low sodium menu for a while and have vegetables, baked fish, rarely chicken and that's it. The closest I have come to beef is to point the correct finger at them when I drive by. You want pancakes and butter? So do I but not on the menu. How about spagetti and meat sauce? Me too but no dice. Maybe a slice of pizza? Well, maybe if homemade on no fat, low salt dough, no salt or fat sauce and only a thimble full of hard cheese. Go figure.

OK, how about cream of wheat and egg-beaters that are egg whites only? For sure you don't but that's on tap for this AM.
Yum, yum grandpa, what's for supper? I can only guess.

Man, do I feel real sympathy for you and those others who have to consume such a restricted diet. I wouldn't be able to resist the temptations of REAL food for long. The past few evenings I have been reading a book authored by Molly Birnbaum, "Season to Taste" her story about losing her sense of smell after being struck by a car. To complicate her sensory loss, she was in the midst of learning to become a professional chef at the time of her accident. Since reading her story, I have begun to appreciate my sense of smell much more, because what you taste is quite dependent upon your sense of smell.

As for me, breakfast was Bob Evans sausage links, scrambled eggs, and a blueberry bagel. Lunch will be the final leftover bowl of Meatball chili and a grilled cheese sandwich on rye, and dinner is cooking now: Crock Pot lasgna made with Italian sausage and homemade sour cream bread, both washed down with strawberry moscato. I know I am being really mean here, sorry....