Watcha eating?

/ Watcha eating? #131  
Those BOTH look pretty good, I don't care for sugar in my rub or sauce. I may need to experiment with those.

Thanks for sharing.

I most often start with some hungarian Szeged Rib Rub, and I add garlic powder and black pepper.
I need to try the olive oil first trick too...

:licking:
I LOVE to eat ribs...
David

I do not want my ribs to taste sweet either, and I was hesitant when I added the sugar...but I have found that about 2/3 of rib eaters do like a bit of sweetness although this recipe does not end up sweetening the ribs, at least to my personal taste. I think it's good, and everyone else seems to prefer it over #1, especially the kids.

/ Watcha eating? #132  
Cruzer, thank you very much for taking the time to share those recipes. I have clipped them and added it to my recipe file to try this summer. I'm gonna have to do some math to make smaller quantities of your rubs so I can try both. Looking at the ingredients I don't see why #1 is so much hotter than #2.

I have a nice charcoal grill/smoker but I only use it in fair weather. Winter grilling is for me limited to a gas Weber and that won't do for ribs. Our local BBQ store sells the Egg and various flavoring woods so I'll go have a look. I am aware that people love the Egg but I haven't gotten to that level yet. My Texan barbecue buddy seems happy with the old kettle Weber but I keep hearing about the Egg so I'll do a little more investigating.

My pleasure. #2 is simply #1, but diluted down with sugar, ginger and some lemon pepper...and it does make a difference how much you use. #2 can get a bit hot if you get too generous with it. Here again, since you mix your own, you can adjust the ingredients to your own personal taste. This particular recipe is concocted such that it (for my personal taste) is not too salty or too hot...a complaint I have with some commercial rubs. I have no problem with adding a tad of salt when I'm preparing the ribs, and I regularly add an extra sprinkling of garlic.

The Egg is a step up from some of the other smokers, but I say use what ever you are comfortable with. I have used the old Cajun Cooker and it works fine; I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker, and it is an excellent smoker, every bit as good as the Egg for ribs...and it can be bought for somewhere in the range of $250 to $500, and the Egg will run you anywhere from $700 to $1500 depending on what size and what accessories you get. The only drawback with the Weber is the water pan; it mediates the heat, and with the vents you can control the heat, but the water pan is a pain to clean up. That's why I don't use it much unless I am cooking for a lot of people...and I like the Weber for chickens even better than the Egg, they seem to come out really moist. I have even used my Weber charcoal grill as a smoker, but it is a PITA to do so. I say any smoker that has a modicum of heat control would work fine.

Good luck; let us know how you make out. If you decide to get an Egg, plan on a bit of a learning curve, but not a big deal. I made a BBQ table/nest for my Egg and it works fine. Made it out of Cedar with a Granite insert for the bottom of the Egg to sit on. A bit heavy, but very handy. I have pics if anyone is interested.
Oh, BTW, The Big Green Egg folks have numerous "Eggfests" in different locations through out the country, in the Springtime, and you can visit, ask questions and sample different things that were cooked on the Egg. The fare is almost limitless; from smoked briskit to pizza to fruits, fish and veggies. Check their website or google "Eggfest". P.S. I do not own stock nor am I or any of my family employees of the BGE. :)

/ Watcha eating? #133  
All of you stop it...I'm getting hungry.
I have been on a near zero fat and very low sodium menu for a while and have vegetables, baked fish, rarely chicken and that's it. The closest I have come to beef is to point the correct finger at them when I drive by. You want pancakes and butter? So do I but not on the menu. How about spagetti and meat sauce? Me too but no dice. Maybe a slice of pizza? Well, maybe if homemade on no fat, low salt dough, no salt or fat sauce and only a thimble full of hard cheese. Go figure.

OK, how about cream of wheat and egg-beaters that are egg whites only? For sure you don't but that's on tap for this AM.
Yum, yum grandpa, what's for supper? I can only guess.

Sixdogs, Alright, finally someone that speaks my language. Have you tried nutritional yeast on pizza instead of cheese? you can put on as much as you like has a cheesy flavor and it's "on the menu". I'm right at two years on this diet - long enough to say it's no longer a diet - just the way I must eat to fight the fires of heart disease raging inside. Seems like it just might be working, all is good. (Warning to others: do not do our diet if you do not have to, - you will fail - you need the motivation of death to succeed.):heart:

/ Watcha eating? #134  
(Warning to others: do not do our diet if you do not have to, - you will fail - you need the motivation of death to succeed.):heart:

I've said many many many times that I would never ever give up beef (in any form) no matter my health. However I've never been told I will die if I don't do "X". In the end I think we will all do what is necessary to continue living. I sympathise with you guys. Cholesterol runs in my family so I may eventually be in the same boat. At 36, metabolism and exercise is bailing me out right now. Hopefully there are some nutrition chefs/cookbooks around that make healthy taste good.

Here's also hoping that a mad scientist will develop a fat free low cholesterol cow in the near future. Also, I think I need to buy a smoker.

Last edited:
   / Watcha eating? #135  
I do not want my ribs to taste sweet either, and I was hesitant when I added the sugar...but I have found that about 2/3 of rib eaters do like a bit of sweetness although this recipe does not end up sweetening the ribs, at least to my personal taste. I think it's good, and everyone else seems to prefer it over #1, especially the kids.

You have paprika as a prominent ingredient. I love paprika but don't know if you cowboys use the sweet or hot paprika in your rub. In US supermarkets there is often only one type which I suspect is on the sweet side. Is a fingertip of your paprika on your tongue flavorful or mostly just hot? I still have a couple of boxes of both sweet and hot paprika I purchased traveling in Hungary and there is a real difference.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paprika

/ Watcha eating? #136  
You have paprika as a prominent ingredient. I love paprika but don't know if you cowboys use the sweet or hot paprika in your rub. In US supermarkets there is often only one type which I suspect is on the sweet side. Is a fingertip of your paprika on your tongue flavorful or mostly just hot? I still have a couple of boxes of both sweet and hot paprika I purchased traveling in Hungary and there is a real difference.

Paprika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never thought about the flavor of paprika until now. Mine isn't sweet nor hot, it has little actual flavor and is mildly astringent. I have always expected it to be hot, and mine is reasonably fresh...only open a few months.

/ Watcha eating? #137  
Never thought about the flavor of paprika until now. Mine isn't sweet nor hot, it has little actual flavor and is mildly astringent. I have always expected it to be hot, and mine is reasonably fresh...only open a few months.
Here is a blub from Cook's Illustrated magazine:

Published November 1, 2008. From Cook's Illustrated.
The best versions of this renowned Hungarian spice pack a punch that goes beyond pigment.
products tested (listed alphabetically)
Bende Hungarian Paprika
McCormick Paprika
Penzeys Hungarian Sweet Kulonleges Paprika
Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika
Spice Islands Paprika
The Spice House Hungarian Sweet Paprika
See Product Comparison Chart

Some cooks think of paprika as merely a coloring agent for soups and stews or a garnish for deviled eggs. But the best versions of this renowned Hungarian spice pack a punch that goes beyond pigment. Sweet paprika is derived from dried sweet red-pepper pods, a different variety than the peppers that are used for either hot or smoky paprika. We sampled six brands葉wo from the supermarket and the others ordered online用rocessing them into a wet paste for our Hungarian Beef Stew and dusting them liberally on deviled eggs. Two specialty paprikas trounced the competition with their full-bodied flavors. Our hands-down favorite boasted a å��ruity, å…Žarthy balance that one taster likened to the complexity of a dried Mexican chile. The rest of the lineup paled in comparisoné*�nd one good whiff of each explained why. In contrast to the rich, slightly toasty aromas of the two top-rated paprikas, the samples from lower rated brands had virtually no scent at all. Not surprisingly, these second-rate spices also tasted é›»ull and ç™»ne-dimensional. Our rule of thumb is to replace ground spices after a year. But for best results, always smell spices before you use them; if the scent is faint, itç—´ time to open a new jar.

/ Watcha eating? #138  

Paprika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used McCormick Paprika in my last batch; it's relatively tasteless and barely a hint of being hot. It provides more in the way of color and bulk than it does in the way of taste...especially since the other added ingredients are so overpowering taste wise. I looked for Hungarian Paprika since it was recommended by others as their prime ingredient, but couldn't find anything local, so I just used the McCormick. If I ever get to the point where I make a lot of this stuff, I will need a source for ginger. It mostly comes in small, expensive bottles.

/ Watcha eating? #139  
I use "Pride of Szeged Hungarian Paprika"

I also use their chicken rub, and their rib rub. Their steak and fish versions have too many fillers (salt and or sugar).

It is EXCELLENT :licking:

David

/ Watcha eating? #140  
I missed breakfast due to an early appt. So I just had the last 4 devil'd eggs from Superbowl party. My wife is making something for Lunch, and I don't know what it is, but I already love it because a prime ingredient is the full package of organic, nitrate free BACON she is cooking right now.

IT'S BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:licking:
Bacon Umm, I was gonna say BACON!

Yum.
David