Watcha eating?

/ Watcha eating? #261  
I had oven roasted prime rib, parsley potatoes, stir fired veggies, and red wine (a chanti I believe) for dinner last night.
:licking:
David

Lucky you...special occasion? Last prime rib I priced was $95. I do love prime rib, though, especially the way my wife fixes it. I'm itching to cook a rib roast on the Big Green Egg.

/ Watcha eating? #262  
Dan here is another fact about meat, not yours, the other kind of "factory" meat. (The source is the meat companies.)

Meat Mythcrushers | NutritionFacts.org

One thing to keep in mind whenever it is mentioned about the Inuit people (who eat mostly whale blubber and no veggies/fiber) and their lack of dying from cardio vascular disease is their lifespan. It is considerable shorter than other people in Canada. in 2001 the lifespan for Inuit men was 63, for other Canadian men it was 77. So what do they die of?;)

There was a story in the WSJ over the weekend about chicken nuggets and how they are made. Not real pleasant. The scary thing was the reports was talking about a couple of the better brands of chicken nuggets.

So what do they die of?

Drug abuse, suicide and the cold? Suicide is the leading cause of death of Inuit under the age of 44 and their young people kill themselves at a rate 5-6 times higher than the non native population. That level of suicide is going to lower the Inuit's average life span. At this point in time, I would wonder how much of the Inuit diet has been westernized.

Later,
Dan

/ Watcha eating? #263  
I was a Quality Assurance Supervisor for Perdue Farms further prosessing poultry plant for six years. You would not believe what goes into chicken nuggets. Won't touch one with a ten foot pole!

mark

/ Watcha eating? #264  
Lucky you...special occasion? Last prime rib I priced was $95. I do love prime rib, though, especially the way my wife fixes it. I'm itching to cook a rib roast on the Big Green Egg.

At Christmas we bought 2 on sale at Wegmans and froze one. Yes, they are very expenisve... Even on sale...

I was going to fix it for my wifes birthday in Jan, but we ended up fixing it yesterday for her Mom's birthday.

Be well,
David

/ Watcha eating? #265  
Speaking of Special Occasions, On Valentines Day the young woman in front of me (with a small child) at the grocery checkout had two lobsters ($40 - $20each) and her total grocery bill was $60.00. She started putting back the other food she bought because she did not have enough money. Eventually she had to return all of the other groceries she had bought except for the Lobsters which she paid for with food stamps. I hope she will be able to land a productive husband with the state provided lobsters.

/ Watcha eating? #266  
Very interesting and important study on diet and risk of heart disease and stroke was published today in the New England Journal of Medicine. A large prospective well controlled study showed that the "Mediterranean" diet, but NOT the low fat diet, could prevent a significant number of heart attacks and strokes. I think it was about 30% reduction which is good. From my perspective this is great news as 1) it is solid prospectively done clinical trial with good controls and 2) the Mediterranean diet is VERY much easier to live with than the low fat diets (which did not compare favorably mostly due to predictable poor compliance).

So, red wine, olive oil, walnuts, fish, chicken, fruit and veggies are on the menu. I can live with that very happily.

/ Watcha eating? #267  
Speaking of Special Occasions, On Valentines Day the young woman in front of me (with a small child) at the grocery checkout had two lobsters ($40 - $20each) and her total grocery bill was $60.00. She started putting back the other food she bought because she did not have enough money. Eventually she had to return all of the other groceries she had bought except for the Lobsters which she paid for with food stamps. I hope she will be able to land a productive husband with the state provided lobsters.

Reminds me of when I was fresh out of high school, and took a job checking groceries at the local Humpty Dumpty super market. A couple with a small baby came to my checkstand with a small order of groceries. They had a six pack of beer and four cans of baby formula. I checked them out, and they didn't have enough money to pay for the whole order....so what did they put back? You guessed it...they kept the beer and put the baby forumla back. This has always been one of the "wake up" moments in my life, because I never would have envisioned anyone doing such a thing.

/ Watcha eating? #268  
Very interesting and important study on diet and risk of heart disease and stroke was published today in the New England Journal of Medicine. A large prospective well controlled study showed that the "Mediterranean" diet, but NOT the low fat diet, could prevent a significant number of heart attacks and strokes. I think it was about 30% reduction which is good. From my perspective this is great news as 1) it is solid prospectively done clinical trial with good controls and 2) the Mediterranean diet is VERY much easier to live with than the low fat diets (which did not compare favorably mostly due to predictable poor compliance).

So, red wine, olive oil, walnuts, fish, chicken, fruit and veggies are on the menu. I can live with that very happily.

When it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

"An article just published in the New England Journal of Medicine claims that a Mediterranean diet is much more effective than a "low-fat diet" in preventing cardiovascular disease. A careful reading of the study reveals that this is simply not true.

In the "low-fat" group, total fat consumption decreased insignificantly, from 39 percent to 37 percent (Table S7, appendix). This doesn't even come close to the American Heart Association guidelines of a low-fat diet (<30 percent fat) or ours for reversing heart disease (<10 percent fat)."

- Dr. Dean Ornish: Does a Mediterranean Diet Really Beat Low-Fat for Heart Health?

And since I had my heart attack when eating the foods on the Mediterranean diet I will tend to believe the deficiencies that Ornish found in the study.

Last edited:
   / Watcha eating? #269  
When it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

"An article just published in the New England Journal of Medicine claims that a Mediterranean diet is much more effective than a "low-fat diet" in preventing cardiovascular disease. A careful reading of the study reveals that this is simply not true.

In the "low-fat" group, total fat consumption decreased insignificantly, from 39 percent to 37 percent (Table S7, appendix). This doesn't even come close to the American Heart Association guidelines of a low-fat diet (<30 percent fat) or ours for reversing heart disease (<10 percent fat)."

- Dr. Dean Ornish: Does a Mediterranean Diet Really Beat Low-Fat for Heart Health?

And since I had my heart attack when eating the foods on the Mediterranean diet I will tend to believe the deficiencies that Ornish found in the study.

The point of the study is that in the real world, real people can adhere to the Mediterranean diet but cannot adhere to the low fat diet. I made that point earlier. The Ornish diet works but isn't well accepted. The low fat diet advocated by Ornish is very difficult to stick with and is an incredibly boring diet. On top of that, the benefits of the Mediterranean diet have been demonstrated in a very large well controlled study (7000plus persons in the study). If I recall correctly the Ornish diet has been studied in a few hundred (?more). I don't believe the claimed benefits of the Ornish diet are any greater than the Mediterranean diet benefits shown in this study.

The key point is that the Mediterranean diet is probably a better choice for most people. If you like the Ornish diet and have the discipline to maintain it, more power to you.

/ Watcha eating? #270  
It's not about power, it's about miss-information and the way it is presented and readily accepted by people who are looking for the path of least resistance. Look at how doctors on TV used to advertise cigarettes as healthy. Why in world would any study claim that a diet 39 to 37% was low fat - that is just plain wrong and misleading and is giving a false sense of security to people with heart disease.