Feeding wild birds

/ Feeding wild birds #21  
Its funny we feed the birds with black seed sunflower seeds (the other mixes I found would often add invasive plants from the seeds that dropped). The birds that are seed eaters will be all over them, the falcons will sit on the top of our a-frame and just wait. Its really neat to watch.

/ Feeding wild birds #22  
Yeah, all the birds around here seem to love the black oil sunflower seeds as well. We feed all year long, maybe 40lbs every 4-6 weeks. We have a ton of cardinals, titmice, goldfinches (they get thistle too, but love the sunflower seeds) doves, chickadees, woodpeckers, etc. Tons of fun to watch.

I'm definitely going to pick up some cracked corn, as I see it's about $12 for a 50lb. at TSC, so thanks for the mentions of that. :thumbsup:

/ Feeding wild birds #25  
We feed cracked corn to most of the birds. Thistle for the gold finches...hung in socks....sometimes there are 20 birds hanging off the sock. My wife also has 4 blue jays that expect peanuts every morning. They wait for her in the trees and land on the railings until they get their peanuts.:dove:

/ Feeding wild birds #26  
Can't afford to feed them all! :D

HPIM2604 (Custom).JPG

/ Feeding wild birds #27  
I feed my ducks cracked corn and the finches ect will eat that but they definitely prefer the black oil sunflower seeds. When we had our cold snap this winter of 10-20 degrees F below average I fed them twice a day.

I had also had saved my overripe sweet corn, let it dry on the stalk and then picked it and saved it in a bin. I threw it out for quail this winter, just peel off the husk and chuck the cob on the ground. During the cold snap I had a covey of about 50 quail showing up at my shop every day like clock work. Once the weather warmed up they stopped coming around. It was kind of interesting though as I would throw it down in an open area so I could see them from the house but they would drag the cobs under a trailer I had parked nearby. I guess they don't like being out in the open if they can help it.

/ Feeding wild birds #28  
Anyone have an idea what my Mocking bird actually is???

Crash:

It might be a Gray Catbird. They are mimics, although not as good as mockingbirds. They often make a sound like a cat meow at the end of a series of imitated calls.

/ Feeding wild birds #29  
Crash:

It might be a Gray Catbird. They are mimics, although not as good as mockingbirds. They often make a sound like a cat meow at the end of a series of imitated calls.

Don't think so but possible. That guy / girl was a very good imitator or maybe originator as it had songs that I have never heard any of my normal birds sing.

When I was feeding black sunflower seeds out the wood peckers & / or sapsuckers would stuff them into cracks or splits in the tree. They have also cut holes in both ends of the house. Now the sparrows & finches have built nests in them. Tried covering or plugging them up. they just made new holes.

/ Feeding wild birds #30  
i mix sunflower and wild bird feed mix then everyone is happy.