What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat?

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #11  
What brand of pellet stove did install?

Pelpro Pellet Stove — 50,000 BTU, Model# HHPP2BDD-M | Corn, Pellet Multi-Fuel| Northern Tool + Equipment

I don't know what the guy in the review is complaining about. I put 3 bags of pellets in my stove the moment I started it up. He claims his only holds 50lbs, well mine holds 3 40lb bags(120lbs) without a problem. The one thing I did notice was Northern advertised it as heating up to 2500sq ft but the owners manual that came with the stove says 2000sq ft.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #12  
100% wood heat. Well, 99%. We do use electric space heaters selectively in the basement, which is seldom occupied and which is poorly heated by the stove. We have an electric heat pump and nothing else, so it runs full-on in Aux Heat mode in the cold months. The one month we did this (not realizing, because we had never had a heat pump before), the electric bill was something like $400. I've made sure that we have never run out of firewood since. Come spring, when everyone is having trees taken out, or after a bad storm, I troll Craigslist like a madman scrounging free wood, then I spend all summer splitting and stacking it. There's also a local tree service that keeps a list of homeowners, and if they take out a tree near your house, they'll call and drop it off if you want. I got from him a couple of trunk sections that were probably 4.5' to 5' in diameter, no lie, and 6' to 8' long. I had to pay somebody else from a tree service to come over and buck them with his big saw, then I split them myself, but I still came out way ahead on the proposition. The wood was so hard that it totally stalled my neighbor's 30-ton splitter. Instead, I had to go at it with sledge and wedges. It was impossible to split down the middle, so I used the wedges to peel 6"-12" wide strips off the outside first until it was down to maybe 3' in diameter, then split it down the middle. It was a ridiculous amount of labor, but I really loved it, and it was an incredible sense of accomplishment when it was done.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #13  
I went geothermal 2 years ago. Took out a wood furnace and put it in my barn. I don't miss keeping the stove loaded or the mess that came with it.

Jeff

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #14  
we have a squirrel chasing a nut on a treadmill powering a fan to push hot air heated by an outdoor furnace fueled by methane from the cows ! keeps the house nice and warm and we don't have to clean the chimney much ! :drink:

The methane from your cows is depleting the ozone layer and no doubt that the animal police are coming after you for inhumane overworking of the poor squirrel. :laughing:

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #15  
I went geothermal 2 years ago. Took out a wood furnace and put it in my barn. I don't miss keeping the stove loaded or the mess that came with it.

Jeff

How much is the initial cost of installing geothermal in an existing home?

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #16  
Pelpro Pellet Stove — 50,000 BTU, Model# HHPP2BDD-M | Corn, Pellet Multi-Fuel| Northern Tool + Equipment

I don't know what the guy in the review is complaining about. I put 3 bags of pellets in my stove the moment I started it up. He claims his only holds 50lbs, well mine holds 3 40lb bags(120lbs) without a problem. The one thing I did notice was Northern advertised it as heating up to 2500sq ft but the owners manual that came with the stove says 2000sq ft.

Looks like a very nice unit to me. Ours is a 44,000 BTU. It only holds about 60 pounds of pellets. We love our pellet stove. For backup heat its hard to beat for us.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #17  
Coal here also have a van wert stoker in the house and a Harman stoker in my shop area use buckwheat coal in both

if you burn coal here is the best place for info ..

Anthracite Coal Forum - NEPA Crossroads

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #18  
Looks like a very nice unit to me. Ours is a 44,000 BTU. It only holds about 60 pounds of pellets. We love our pellet stove. For backup heat its hard to beat for us.

PelPro has another model that looks identical but it holds 300lbs of pellets. That thing will burn for a week before reloading..

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #19  
PelPro has another model that looks identical but it holds 300lbs of pellets. That thing will burn for a week before reloading..

That sounds about right. Ours burns 40 pounds of pellets in 24 hours running wide open as main heat when the power goes out.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #20  
The methane from your cows is depleting the ozone layer and no doubt that the animal police are coming after you for inhumane overworking of the poor squirrel. :laughing:

this is east Tn the squirrel is on meth ! so's the dog 399772_338480052848121_205344452828349_1269138_1074011610_n.jpg