What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat?

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #31  
Pelpro Pellet Stove 50,000 BTU, Model# HHPP2BDD-M | Corn, Pellet Multi-Fuel| Northern Tool + Equipment

I don't know what the guy in the review is complaining about. I put 3 bags of pellets in my stove the moment I started it up. He claims his only holds 50lbs, well mine holds 3 40lb bags(120lbs) without a problem. The one thing I did notice was Northern advertised it as heating up to 2500sq ft but the owners manual that came with the stove says 2000sq ft.

Do you have any possibility of creosote build up in the chimney with a pellet stove? Burning wood pellets or corn make a difference? Ken Sweet

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #32  
Our oil fired furnace never comes on, even on the coldest days as long as I'm around to keep our Biasi boiler fired up. Of course if we're out for an extended time the oil kicks in.

Also have more wood around our property than I have the time to cut it which makes the economics of it all a no-brainer. That and the fact that I really enjoy cutting firewood. :)

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #33  
I have two zones of geothermal for heating/cooling. 18 months ago I added 9.2 kw of solar PV, and I have a 10 KW kubota powered diesel genset for outages. The gen can run the geo units along with the rest of the house. All electric and I average $ 80/month electric over the year.

paul

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #34  
95% wood . About 12 full cords but there are 2 electric baseboards which are rareley on .

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #35  
Wood fireplace, ducted to the furnace & master bedroom is primary, geo thermal ground source closed loop heat pump with water coil for additional heat as a back up, passive solar room, ducted to the upstairs, for sunny days and radiant floor heating. Heat for water is propane which also supplies fuel for the stand by generator.

My wife doesn't think it would be possible to sell our house because of the mess I've made in the furnace room, but she'll never be cold!

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #36  
Electric heat pump for the house with propane inserts in the fireplace (for the wife in the evenings). Wood stove in the shop for me. Works for us.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #37  
Heat pump... sucks in bitter cold weather. Harmon MKII coal stove in the basement, haven't fired it up in two years. I like to winter over in the Philippines when I can affort airfare. Never below 90 degrees in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb. South China sea temp is like bath water.

"In God we trust... All others we monitor" VQ-1

mark

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #38  
Heat pump... sucks in bitter cold weather. Harmon MKII coal stove in the basement, haven't fired it up in two years. I like to winter over in the Philippines when I can affort airfare. Never below 90 degrees in Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb. South China sea temp is like bath water.

"In God we trust... All others we monitor" VQ-1

mark

We don't see much bitter cold so the heat pump does just fine. Used to live in So. Calif......you can have that 90 degree stuff.....give me clear skies....55 to 60 degrees.....it don't get much better.:thumbsup:

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #39  
I have a TARM Excel 2000 gassifier oil/wood furnace. Heats 3000 sq ft, domestic hot water and a hot tub. With 1200 gallon thermal storage I go through about 8 cords a year. Will be hooking up 6 HW solar panels this spring to cover DHW in the summer. I burn about 5 gallon of oil per year mostly if I go away for a 3 day weekend in the winter and the wife doesn’t want to load the furnace.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #40  
Mines a different situation 'cause its a (nearly) new log cabin thats used for weekends and hunting season. I have electric heat pump (14 seer) for heat and a/c. We use this heat, set at 47 when we're not there. When there, I have a propane heat stove that looks like a Ben Franklin stove. It easily keeps the temp around 70. And here in southside VA, the a/c is wonderful in the summer months!