What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat?

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #71  
That's one efficient home you must have. It's difficult for me to get an exact measurement of the electrical useage account of a hot tub and stock tank heaters. I estimate my yearly heating/AC cost at $520 and my house is 1500 sq ft. This spring I'm going to rewire my furnace to a sub panel with an in line meter

Yes, I'm very pleased with the efficiency of our home. I stick built the house myself and i made sure all the nooks, cracks and crannies were sealed/insulated. My GEO is on a separate meter which makes it easy to keep track of my costs; and I too have the hot water auxilary heater.
I don't remember the exact cost back in 1994 but it seems like after all the rebates the system ended up costing about $7800. I know they have went up considerably since 1994.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #72  
After 20 years of heating a 19th century granite house with electric heaters in each room, I finally had a boiler-room built and a pellet furnace installed in 2011 for heating and hot water. Divided my electric bills by 5, which is quite important with present prices. The cost of pellets for the year is about what I paid in electricity for 3 weeks winter heating. Not to speak of the added comfort. Pellets are stored in a silo and taken to the furnace by a screw when needed. The whole system is run by a couple of computers that have never malfunctionned so far.

Attachments

• DSCF1352 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1352 (Copier).JPG
    198.3 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF1555 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1555 (Copier).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF1569 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1569 (Copier).JPG
    107 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCF1558 (Copier).JPG
    DSCF1558 (Copier).JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 88
  • P1000120 (Copier).JPG
    P1000120 (Copier).JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 65
   / What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #73  
99% wood, burned in a wood furnace. Electric baseboard backup. I did turn the circuit breakers back on over Christmas as we were gone for a few days.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #74  
After 20 years of heating a 19th century granite house with electric heaters in each room, I finally had a boiler-room built and a pellet furnace installed in 2011 for heating and hot water. Divided my electric bills by 5, which is quite important with present prices. The cost of pellets for the year is about what I paid in electricity for 3 weeks winter heating. Not to speak of the added comfort. Pellets are stored in a silo and taken to the furnace by a screw when needed. The whole system is run by a couple of computers that have never malfunctionned so far.

I wish we had the bulk pellet delivery that's common in europe! Great system.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #75  
I have a 1500 Sq Ft house on main level with full finished and insulated basement. 5 1/2" walls with fiberglass and 1" blue board over that for the main level. The block basement is with 3 1/2" studs inside with fiberglass and drywall. I have an airtight 24" fireplace upstairs on one end.

We use about 4.5 to 5 cords of mostly oak, hickory with about 25% soft wood. I turn the LP forced air on last week for about 10 minutes to make sure it works. We use about 150-200 gallons of LP for cooking and heating water.

I have about 33 cords stored in a couple buildings cut and split and dry.

I plan on moving to Tennessee next year; what a kick in the teeth. :confused3::confused3:

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #76  
Electric wall heater, wood backup, kerosene backup to the backup, Lots of NG and propane here, no coal or fuel oil in my area.