What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat?

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #1  

Jaeger

Silver Member
Tractor
'05 Kubota L5030 HST, '94 Kubota B7100 HST 4WD (sold 2011),
Was wondering what you guys use as supplemental heat in the Winter?

When we built the house oil was cheap, now we use a Harman SF360 coal boiler almost exclusively from Nov-April and it has saved us thousands in heating oils costs.

Interested in what other use? Wood stove, outdoor wood / cola boiler, etc.....

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #2  
I have a wood stove in the basement and burn about 17 face cords a year. Boiler which also heats domestic hot water kicks on at night and when we are not home to load the stove. Burn about 1 tank plus or minus of fuel a year total. Also have a gas fireplace that we burn too usually burn about 75 to 100 gallons in that. So minus the sweat equity for the wood I usually heat the house and domestic hot water for 1k to 1200$ depending on prices. We also keep it cool at about 65 degrees in the winter

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #3  
I'm a heating /cooling contractor. For my home it's NG.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #4  
House I just bought has a fuel oil boiler. Have copies of past 2yrs of fuel usage. Previous owners went through 1400 gallons of fuel a year!! No way in he11 I could afford that. I installed a 50k btu Pellet Stove last month.. So far so good..

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #5  
Wood with gas backup....backwards, but we pay about 450 a Winter with wood(2 cords), whereas gas was about 300 a MONTH!

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #6  
We have ground loop geothermal as our main heat. We also have a pellet stove for back up heat. Our generator can run the pellet stove in a power outage but not the geothermal.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #7  
Have electric heat pump with propane gas emergency heat . this only works if im too lazy to stoke the wood burning fireplace. I have 20 acres of trees and put up enuf wood to heat the house all winter. but there are days when i just dont feel like keeping the fireplace going.

the furnace does a splendid job...but more expensive.

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #8  
Propane with programmable thermostat. Keep most rooms at 68 degrees and use a propane fireplace to bring up the heat in the family room. Have wood heat in the basement in case of power outages. Ken Sweet

Last edited:
   / What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #9  
House I just bought has a fuel oil boiler. Have copies of past 2yrs of fuel usage. Previous owners went through 1400 gallons of fuel a year!! No way in he11 I could afford that. I installed a 50k btu Pellet Stove last month.. So far so good..

What brand of pellet stove did install?

/ What's everyone use as supplemental or main heat? #10  
we have a squirrel chasing a nut on a treadmill powering a fan to push hot air heated by an outdoor furnace fueled by methane from the cows ! keeps the house nice and warm and we don't have to clean the chimney much ! :drink: