Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Platinum Member cmhyland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    636
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Tractor
    2000 Kubota B2910

    Default Planning for Spring.

    Hi guys,

    Years ago we used to have a garden the was 60X100 it was fenced and I used a garden tractor with a 30 in tiller to prepare the soil.
    Well fast forward 12 years and we are going to put a garden back in this year... I just picked up a 60" tiller for my B2910 and I'm looking for input on
    garden planning with regard to fences and gates and layout to accomodate tilling with a much larger machine...

    My thought is a layout that is long and has gates on each end so I don't have to try to turn the machine in the fenced area.

    Ideas and pics of your fenced gardens that you till with a tractor would be very helpful.

    Thanks,
    Chris

  2. #2
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,041
    Location
    Kentucky
    Tractor
    B2920

    Default Re: Planning for Spring.

    Morning,
    My garden is also a long rectangle. Back when I used electric fencing, it was easy to just drop the three lines at the ends on the ground and drive over them to make my turns.
    When the coons got so bad I went to a welded wire fence and for awhile, I just left about 8 feet or so at the ends go untilled and turned in that area but I never really liked doing that way.
    Since I rotate my garden ground every three years or so, the next time I drove heavy posts in at the corners and four "T" posts every 15 feet across the ends. When it's tilling time, I undo the fence at one corner on each end and pull it over to the side out of the way, leaving the "T" posts where they are. It's not that hard to steer around a "T" post if one is directly in your path. Then when finished, I pull the fencing back, secure it and drive in tent stakes to hold the bottom of the fence tight to the ground. This can be a lot of work, but it's the only way I can get my ground tilled like I want it and still be able to keep some of the coons out.

  3. #3
    Platinum Member cmhyland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    636
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Tractor
    2000 Kubota B2910

    Default Re: Planning for Spring.

    Thanks Gunny,
    I had that same issue before of a patch of 8' to 10' at each end untilled in the fenced area... It's a PITA because you have to get the push mower in there to keep the grass and weeds from going to seed... I'm thinking of doing my potatos outside the fence this time.... I don't think the deer will eat the plants...
    We'll do pumpkins outside the fence as well...

    Thanks,
    Chris

  4. #4
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,003
    Location
    Tennessee foothills
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

    Default Re: Planning for Spring.

    Quote Originally Posted by cmhyland View Post
    Hi guys,

    Years ago we used to have a garden the was 60X100 it was fenced and I used a garden tractor with a 30 in tiller to prepare the soil.
    Well fast forward 12 years and we are going to put a garden back in this year... I just picked up a 60" tiller for my B2910 and I'm looking for input on
    garden planning with regard to fences and gates and layout to accomodate tilling with a much larger machine...

    My thought is a layout that is long and has gates on each end so I don't have to try to turn the machine in the fenced area.

    Ideas and pics of your fenced gardens that you till with a tractor would be very helpful.

    Thanks,
    Chris
    Here in Tn I have a yearly garden and it supplies way more than my girl and I eat even with 2 freezers , one of the main things is to determine which way you plant the rows ,We have tried North /south --east /west -- and on the diagnals it does make a huge difference for us , being in Ct you may want to try east west to get max sun exposure here we learned planting north /south works so the plants get some shade from each other ,we also use the black weed control material after tilling and hoeing rows we lay it down and cut thru the material to plant ,makes for little or no weeding all season and helps keep moisture for the plants ,We did'nt use it last year and I fought the weeds all summer talk to your local ag office , we had sweet corn/green beans and carrots last night from last season -029-jpg-027-jpg

  5. #5
    Platinum Member cmhyland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    636
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Tractor
    2000 Kubota B2910

    Default Re: Planning for Spring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Here in Tn I have a yearly garden and it supplies way more than my girl and I eat even with 2 freezers , one of the main things is to determine which way you plant the rows ,We have tried North /south --east /west -- and on the diagnals it does make a huge difference for us , being in Ct you may want to try east west to get max sun exposure here we learned planting north /south works so the plants get some shade from each other ,we also use the black weed control material after tilling and hoeing rows we lay it down and cut thru the material to plant ,makes for little or no weeding all season and helps keep moisture for the plants ,We did'nt use it last year and I fought the weeds all summer talk to your local ag office , we had sweet corn/green beans and carrots last night from last season -029-jpg-027-jpg
    Thanks Grumpy,
    We learned the north/south east/west when we were doing the garden last time... your right that the east/west layout of rows works well.

    Anyone use a Bedder?

    How to Use a Garden Bedder - The Gardening Series - YouTube

    Thanks,
    Chris

  6. #6
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    455

    Default Re: Planning for Spring.

    Quote Originally Posted by cmhyland View Post
    I'm thinking of doing my potatos outside the fence this time.... I don't think the deer will eat the plants...
    We'll do pumpkins outside the fence as well...
    Based on my experience a couple years ago, deer will destroy any hope of a pumpkin harvest.

    Keith

  7. #7
    Platinum Member cmhyland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    636
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Tractor
    2000 Kubota B2910

    Default Re: Planning for Spring.

    Keith,
    I have grown pumpkins outside the fence in years past... The key is to use chicken wire to cover the pumpkin plants when they are small.. Also grow a lot of them... LOL

    Regards,
    Chris

  8. #8
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    455

    Default Re: Planning for Spring.

    Quote Originally Posted by cmhyland View Post
    The key is to use chicken wire to cover the pumpkin plants when they are small.. Also grow a lot of them... LOL
    They didn't bother our plants, but they tore up the pumpkins themselves. Everything was going fine until one night when the deer decided they wanted pumpkin and feasted. I put tomato cages over the ones that survived, but most of them were lost.

    Keith

  9. #9
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    2,240
    Location
    SE Wa

    Default Re: Planning for Spring.

    Quote Originally Posted by cmhyland View Post
    Thanks Gunny,
    I had that same issue before of a patch of 8' to 10' at each end untilled in the fenced area... It's a PITA because you have to get the push mower in there to keep the grass and weeds from going to seed... I'm thinking of doing my potatos outside the fence this time.... I don't think the deer will eat the plants...
    We'll do pumpkins outside the fence as well...

    Thanks,


    Chris
    Think again. If you have a deer problem you will harvest zero potatoes . We tried that one year and the result was a neat series of holes where potatoes 'used to was' and deer tracks galore.

    Harry K

  10. #10
    Platinum Member cmhyland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    636
    Location
    Woodstock Valley, CT
    Tractor
    2000 Kubota B2910

    Default Re: Planning for Spring.

    Harry,
    They pulled the potatos? the potato is from the nightshade family... The tops are poisonous. So I guess we need to fence the potatos area as well...

    or I could just put electric fence around the potatos. On the main garden fence I'll be using 4' wire fince with 2" x 2" or 2" x 4" wire fence , with a top and bottom wire of electric fence. If I fence everything it's going to be about a half acre. That's a lot of fence and posts.

    Regards,
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Planning for spring
    By crowbar032 in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 01:11 PM
  2. Planning for spring
    By cmhyland in forum Attachments
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-29-2012, 08:01 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-14-2010, 11:08 PM
  4. Next spring project planning -- new lawn
    By rus_geek in forum Projects
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-25-2008, 09:54 PM
  5. Trailer Planning
    By The Gardener in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.