well problem i think help

/ well problem i think help #1  

sam5570

Veteran Member
Tractor
new holland tn70
I now have some kinds problem with the water. i have a well 200 ft deep ihave a preasure tank and a switch on the line. my wife noticed that the water just stop's running for about 5 seconds or so and start's running again. i get a spurt of air when the water start's running. im going to check tank blatter to see if got preasure or it's busted. im thinking maby screen cloged on well pump any suggestion's.

/ well problem i think help #2  
You could shut off the water on the house side of the pressure tank, turn off the circuit breaker to the well pump, and then watch your pressure gauge. If it drops, the leak is from the tank to the pump somewhere.

/ well problem i think help
Thank's dave i have a valve on the house side just past the tank. waitin on air compressor to build up so i can fill my air tank so if my preasure is down.

/ well problem i think help #4  
You living in coal country? How big is the pressure tank?

Try holding a match at the tap when you get that burst of air. It may just light up!:D

If it really gets serious you may consider drill a hole in each stage/stator of the pump. Might have to raise the pump a little too? If that is possible.:).

Or??:confused:

You living in coal country? How big is the pressure tank?

Try holding a match at the tap when you get that burst of air. It may just light up!:D

If it really gets serious you may consider drill a hole in each stage/stator of the pump. Might have to raise the pump a little too? If that is possible.:).

Or??:confused:
no i'm alittle south east of coal country. my problem is the pump i have a outside frost free spiket. i turned the house supply off and turned out side and i had same problem. so i got a pump going bad or sand and grit has got it partly stopped up. will know when i pull pump.

/ well problem i think help #6  
Not sure what pump you have but I had problem with water stopping then starting and found it was the starter switch on shallow well pump. Points were dirty so it would not start until all pressure drained off.

/ well problem i think help #7  
Not sure what pump you have but I had problem with water stopping then starting and found it was the starter switch on shallow well pump. Points were dirty so it would not start until all pressure drained off.

Same here but the problem was the little 1/8" (or 1/4") inch riser pipe to the switch - totally clogged with silt and crap. Had to drill it out it was so packed in there.

Harry K

Same here but the problem was the little 1/8" (or 1/4") inch riser pipe to the switch - totally clogged with silt and crap. Had to drill it out it was so packed in there.

Harry K
Thank's for info i have had that problem as well. the preasure switch last about 3 years and i have to replace it. the nipple that the switch goes on i replaced last year when i replaced switch and guage. my problem is it won't do it enough to tell what's going on. so i am not going to make a move to do anything yet till it get's worse or quit's. i thought i had over the year's had all the water problems you could possibly have but guess not.

/ well problem i think help #9  
It might help us to know what the pressure gauge is doing...does it hold when the water is cut off to the house, or does it loose pressure...how long between pump on/off cycles when water running? The spurt of air comment has me wondering where the air is coming from...have you figured that out

It might help us to know what the pressure gauge is doing...does it hold when the water is cut off to the house, or does it loose pressure...how long between pump on/off cycles when water running? The spurt of air comment has me wondering where the air is coming from...have you figured that out
i have the switch set at 45 low side 60 high side i cut the water on the house side off preasure held good. with the water in normal mode everything seems fine preasure good pump only running when i open spicket and preasure goes down.