Getting a Donkey for guard duty

/ Getting a Donkey for guard duty #1  

Pete Judd

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186d, JD 314
I have been thinking about getting a donkey or two to do guard duty against the racoons, possums, and coyotes that are around as we are putting chickens on the property this year. I will have to put in additional electric fencing, but the two places next door have put in new fence for cattle and horses, so I would only have to fence two sides.

Any one done this?

/ Getting a Donkey for guard duty #3  
I have heard of folks putting donkeys in with sheep or cattle, to help with protecting against coyotes and dogs and such. A caveat: donkeys are notorious escape artists. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

/ Getting a Donkey for guard duty #4  
I have heard of folks putting donkeys in with sheep or cattle, to help with protecting against coyotes and dogs and such. A caveat: donkeys are notorious escape artists. It may be more trouble than it's worth.

I have two neighbors in the area with Donkeys, and can vouch for being escape artists. We will stop and give one neighbor's Donkeys some Carrots occasionally and have had their small herd ( 5 Donkey's) come and "visit" several times. The other neighbor's Donkey- Murray - is in love with one of my mini-horses and comes calling whenever he can break out. At least they are easy to take home by dangling a carrot in front of them :thumbsup:

/ Getting a Donkey for guard duty #5  
We have used guard donkeys with our goats for 12 years or more. They are good guard animals and eat the same things the goats eat.
Do not put two donkeys in the same pasture because they will bond with each other rather than the animals they are supposed to guard. We have two, but one is in a pasture with the males and the other with the females in a different pasture. Apparently, since they cannot get close enough to make physical contact they just ignore one another and stay with their charges.
By the way, fencing for horses and cattle will not hold goats.
We have never had a donkey even try to escape. It is like any other animal, if they feel safe where they are, have adequate food and water, they will not stray or try to escape.
One more thing, a jack is not a good guard animal, even a gelding. Find a jenny, preferably one that has been bred and foaled. They tend to be the best for guard duty.
Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

/ Getting a Donkey for guard duty #6  
If they are anything like the mules my Granddad's neighbor had, they also make good alarm clocks!

/ Getting a Donkey for guard duty #7  
I might also look into getting a Llama or two. We have several to guard our goats/chickens and they are nice to be around (as long as you are "part of the herd").

Aaron Z

/ Getting a Donkey for guard duty #8  
One more thing, a jack is not a good guard animal, even a gelding. Find a jenny, preferably one that has been bred and foaled. They tend to be the best for guard duty.
Good luck and let us know how things turn out.

I cannot tell you how important it is follow those instructions. We had a Jack named Jonathon that I nicknamed John-Nothin' because he was worthless as a guard donkey. He would bite and attack our goats. He also took a hunk out of one of our dog's back. He was just a neurotic poop producer and noise maker. We couldn't give him away, so he stayed with the place when we sold it.

Llamas are also supposed to be good guard animals, but they are probably more rare and much more expensive.

/ Getting a Donkey for guard duty #9  
Llamas are also supposed to be good guard animals, but they are probably more rare and much more expensive.
Around here, unregistered Llamas run $50-300 and registered Llamas run $300 and up.

Aaron Z

/ Getting a Donkey for guard duty #10  
I run Great Pyreneese dogs with my goats. I have heard that they do well guarding chickens. My female likes to dig out of her pasture so I had to install a low hot wire. They will not go over a 4' fence even though they are big and athletic. They do like to bark at night. I'm sure it helps to keep critters away. If I yell they'll quiet down for a while.