shelf life of ammunition

/ shelf life of ammunition #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
I've been reading the posts about ammo shortage and it made me think about what's in my own drawer.
The shot gun shells that came with the 12G pump my FIL gave me were pretty ancient. I replaced them about
8 years ago. I don't use the shotgun, another story. It's there for home defense.

I also have a favorite 22LR with a scope that I love to target shoot with up in the mountains. Even just got some new
"splatter" targets to try out. I don't hunt, this is all the shooting I do.

How long will those 22 Stingers last also? I'm assuming longer than a shot gun shell.
Are there pull dates on this stuff?

I'd also like to add a word of caution on hoarding.
Lots of young people need to learn how to shoot, and they usually do so with 22's.
Leave some ammo for the next generation please. Pretty sad if the NRA teaches a kid how to shoot and he
looks down at an empty magazine...

The price jumps also drastically reduce target shooting. Not a healthy scenario.

/ shelf life of ammunition #2  
Leave some ammo for the next generation ? What makes you believe it will last this generation ? better buy a machete they'll be controlled next !:2cents: Shells kept in good conditions should last very long I have shot some .22 shells that were over 25 years old and they worked fine .

/ shelf life of ammunition
now let's not be extra grumpy...:)
Ok, will it "last" for the next gen"?

/ shelf life of ammunition #4  
Amma stored in a dry environment should last basically forever. Some surplus stuff still fires reliably and was stored in questionable ways sometimes. I also have some surplus chezc stuff that has about a 15-20% FTF or hang fire rate?? Reloads its more questionable for their life is not stored in a dry box as thier not as moisture resistant as factory stuff, unless you seal your primer pocket with that stuff they make and your crimps are not tight on the projectile.

.22 shells that were over 25 years old and they worked fine .

thanks, not like i'm going to throw old stuff away, that's for target practice, but I don't use the shotgun,
and frankly, which will raise the hair on your necks, not sure I'm confident doing so. Which means I need to take it up the mountains
and practice, use up the old stuff, and get wide eyed when I have to replace the ammo.

Hmm, with NY being as restrictive as it is, can I transport my guns to NY from PA and not be treated as a terrorist?
Ammo in one place, rifle in another, bolt out, etc.

appreciate the input, have little experience here.

/ shelf life of ammunition #6  
Factory ammo, stored in a reasonably dry place, should outlast all of us. Fifty years or more, I would expect. I have some that is probably 30 years old, and wouldn't be afraid at all to use it. Here's something from the Ruger forum:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=120105

/ shelf life of ammunition #7  
.22 shells that were over 25 years old and they worked fine .

thanks, not like i'm going to throw old stuff away, that's for target practice, but I don't use the shotgun,
and frankly, which will raise the hair on your necks, not sure I'm confident doing so. Which means I need to take it up the mountains
and practice, use up the old stuff, and get wide eyed when I have to replace the ammo.

Hmm, with NY being as restrictive as it is, can I transport my guns to NY from PA and not be treated as a terrorist?
Ammo in one place, rifle in another, bolt out, etc.

appreciate the input, have little experience here.

1 more reason to live in Tn, You still see many trucks with full gun racks and the Governor has already said they won't enforce new gun rules !

/ shelf life of ammunition #8  
i use and collect old guns. I fire ww1 and ww2 surplus ammo :)

ever see those 'spam' cans that are leaded shut and packed with no=ic epaper wrapped bundles of cartridges tied with jute twine.. some of that stuff is 30-40's production and it goes bang every time if kept dry.

old shotgun shells same way. only difference is if you find old paper hulled ones.. check to see if they have swolen.. if they have.. you likely can't get them to chamber.. otherwise any ammo that does not look damaged or coroded is likey fine to fire.

/ shelf life of ammunition #9  
As long as you transport any "long gun" unloaded you will be fine state to state.I would leave cased in trunk.Ammo should last for decades as long as it is keep dry.Old paper shot-gun shells would be suspect if any of those were laying around.

P1030365.JPGP1030366.JPG
As long as you transport any "long gun" unloaded you will be fine state to state.I would leave cased in trunk.Ammo should last for decades as long as it is keep dry.Old paper shot-gun shells would be suspect if any of those were laying around.

thanks. The shotgun shells I have are Italian, and plastic. Birdshot for home defense. Do I need to up my shotgun game here?