5 Day Work Week

/ 5 Day Work Week #41  
I would not go that far, there still lots of folks that love the mailbox, my now deceased grandmother was one, she loved watching for the mail man and going to the box, even though she almost never got anything it was just in hope that there would be a letter. I could see going to 3-4 days at first them mayber cutting again later if need be.

The USPS lost roughly $16 billion last year.

Cutting out Saturday delivery saves $2 billion per year.

Hypothetically, let's cut out Monday to Friday delivery.
That saves another $10 billion per year.

So with all USPS operations suspended -- the USPS would still be losing 4 billion per year.

I can't see the math adding up either, For them to even report Loosing 16 billion doesn't add up, First of all how do you loose something that was never made in the first place, secondly if they look around within their own agencies they might just find part of what they think they've loss actually spent somewhere else,, ;)

Really, Saturday ONLY mail is the way to go. Cut it back to one day only. Cut costs in a way that will really make a difference. Totally reorganize the whole thing. Get rid of all the deadwood and slackers. If the business is truly there add it back a little at a time. No unions. No gravy trains. Just good business.

Let's do it.

/ 5 Day Work Week #42  
Hey Folks
Do you really think anything the federal govt does will cost less money? They could shut it down all together and it would still lose billions of tax dollars every year.
What did you make last year? Add 10% and send it in.

/ 5 Day Work Week #43  
I’ve been with the USPS for 18 years and prior to that served my country for 12 in the USAF. What I can’t understand is how desensitized our society has become. The Postal service is the cheapest and most reliable mail delivery system in the world and people still ***** about how much it cost to send a letter from Bangor Maine to Aunt Rita in L.A., am I missing something? Try handing that letter to ACME letter delivery service (privatized mail service) and see how much you’ll pay. I live in Vermont and recently an old home was sold to a young couple who decided to do some remolding, as they were demoing the interior wall they came upon this old shoe box. The box was filled with letters written by the previous owner’s grandfather to their grandmother. The box was returned to the elated grandchildren. In their hand they held hand written letters marked with unknown stains, maybe tears, sweat or just time in the box. How awesome is that to hold something in your hand that your now gone loved one held and transferred their feeling onto paper. Years from now little Johnny’s or Jane’s grandchildren will ask about grandma and grandpa, go ahead and show them the text or email that was maybe typed be them. That’s if you haven’t deleted it or had you hard drive crash.

/ 5 Day Work Week #44  
They are only loosing 25 million dollar a day, any business play is better than they have now! Congress is to blame.

mark

Yes Congress runs the Post Office.

Congress absolutely does dictate the broader business model under which the USPS operates. Including the multi-BILLION dollar pre-funding of their retirement system. Initiated during the Bush II era, much of that funding has mysteriously disappeared into the General Fund.
The SOLE reason that package delivery, window service and P.O. Box delivery will continue on Saturday is because the other changes coming constitute service changes the Congress does not have to authorize. Full curtailment of Saturday services has been sought by the Postal Service Board of Governors for years, but Congress refuses to act. Imagine that!

/ 5 Day Work Week #45  
Saturday only delivery would be difficult to achieve due to the lack of storage space for mail in the processing centers as well as the post offices themselves. Subcontractors still have to haul the mail 7 days a week to about 50% of the post offices from the processing centers. A large percentage of mail handled by subcontractors is delivered while the post offices are unstaffed, access is limited to a room typically about the size of most walkin closets. This way the mail is there ready to be sorted by carriers and postal employees for placement into post office boxes. In rural post offices, there is usually only one person to sort the mail, place it the p.o. boxes and work the counter.

/ 5 Day Work Week #46  
I expect it is the non active staff is larger than the active staff of today $$$ wise.

I do not expect the post office to pay its way any more than I expect the Army to pay its own way.

I do expect both to reduce costs as much as the politicians will permit.

I have noticed if it is a local PO or Army base that needs to be truly closed then the locals seldom want to act in the best interest of the rest of the people.

/ 5 Day Work Week #47  
The USPS does final delivery for many UPS packages, they figured out they save by paying PO to deliver them vs going to all the houses that the PO will already go to. The PO can do it cheaper as they already go by each house each day.

Which pisses me off to no end.

My driveway is power gated and the walk in gate is locked. To get to my front door without a phone call would require fence climbing.

Had a pricey package from Midway coming via UPS and I was watching the 'tracking' and made arrangements to have somebody here to receive.

On the day UPS said it was to arrive, guess what happened ?, that's right, UPS handed it off to USPS to arrive god knows when.