5 Day Work Week

/ 5 Day Work Week #1  

deepNdirt

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar YM-1700
Many of us work a 5 day work week, I read today where the USPS mail delivery is cutting back to 5 days, excluding Saturday deliveries, Not sure how most feel about the cutback but as for myself 5 days is enough junk mail for me, and if cutting back 1 day helps to save... why Not?
we've all had to cut back in one way or another, I have a relative ( Uncle )who retired from the USPS and he is but a worn out old man health wise, But only into his 70's... He was very committed to his job as a mail deliverer, He prospered from his job in the way of a good life style but in doing so he neglected his personal well being and health, The bottom line is can the usps employs not make it on 5 days of work? Heck some agencies have changed to 10 hour days/4 days week, which IMHO could save $$ all the way around, lessoning gas expense by 1 day in commute to work, which will also save fuel from being used by pulling 2 extra hours a day is no big deal ....
I used to work 10-12 hours 5 to 6 days a week, being self employed I had no incentive other than keeping caught up on work loads, I didn't receive time 1/2 for overtime or any company bonuses, I'm just saying why are the usps workers, ( I respectively ask) so upset about being cut 1 day?
Do they live as My Uncle did? a lifestyle beyond their needs, and will they need to only make adjustments or will they feel like sacrifices to them?

Again I do respect the work they do for us all, But times are tough and we all need to adjust our life styles, at least for the Moment...
All my working life I helped build new homes, I for one have certainly had to make adjustments, But I don't think of it as making sacrifices,

/ 5 Day Work Week #2  
They are only loosing 25 million dollar a day, any business play is better than they have now! Congress is to blame.

mark

/ 5 Day Work Week #3  
Yes Congress runs the Post Office.

/ 5 Day Work Week #4  
they don't work 6 days a week, they deliver 6 days a week. Each person is assigned a route and 1 day off during the week, and then Sunday. They have substitutes that fill in the rotating "off" days. My mom has been working for them for around 10 years, but between a transfer and then a merge with another post office, has not accumulated enough seniority to get a route so is still a substitute. She actually works 6 days a week quite often, but the regulars don't. Basically, this move (which has been under consideration for quite some time) will eliminate a lot of substitutes.

So, for my Mom's sake, I am against it. But also, I think Saturday delivery is kind of nice. Living in the sticks, I order a lot of stuff online and if it is sent USPS it may come on a Saturday vs. having to wait until Monday depending on when I order it- means a lot sometimes. This gives them an edge over UPS and FedEx who charge a large premium for Saturday delivery. If they lose that, it may hurt business more than they think.

/ 5 Day Work Week #5  
I can see where it would effect some jobs, but I wonder would the savings be worth it. In fuel alone it may save a bundle. I could live with out Weekend delivery, fact I never opt for that when given the chance (at a higher rate). 4 days a week would be fine for me, I would just have to manage things I need accordingly. A parts order type business could be effected though.

/ 5 Day Work Week #6  
...Living in the sticks, I order a lot of stuff online and if it is sent USPS it may come on a Saturday vs. having to wait until Monday depending on when I order it- means a lot sometimes. This gives them an edge over UPS and FedEx who charge a large premium for Saturday delivery. If they lose that, it may hurt business more than they think.

The report I read said that packages will still be delivered on Saturday. USPS package deliveries are increasing.

Not getting mail on Saturday likely won't mean much to us anymore.

Later,
Dan

/ 5 Day Work Week #7  
Just going to need bigger mailbox for less delivery.

/ 5 Day Work Week #8  
Word is that USPS packages would still be delivered on Saturdays, as that part of the business still makes money.

My rural postman delivers mainly junk mail, and my city postman says that carriers are being cut with the remainder getting more and more overtime to fill the gaps. Sometimes my mail comes after 6pm because the carrier spent the early part of the day sorting and covering other routes.

Despite having a monopoly on first class mail, USPS seems like a poorly managed business stressed by a shrinking market. I predict it will vanish in a generation or so, like passenger railroads in the US outside big metropolitan areas.

/ 5 Day Work Week #9  
I vote they go to MWF mail delivery.

/ 5 Day Work Week #10  
I could live with M-W-F post delivery. I imagine that would be a real monkey wrench for many businesses though.

A friend on the local VFD works for USPS. He said he gets 8 Saturdays per year off, and I don't think he gets to pick them.

Saturday is junk mail day here, the same 4 or 5 flyers every week that go directly into the recycle bin.