Nearly burned house down

/ Nearly burned house down #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Grilled steaks last night on my Weber gas grill. Turned it off and let it sit outside while we ate. About an hour later I ran outside in a hurry, barefoot, put the top down and put it in the garage. Walked by it this morning and felt heat. The middle burner knob was slightly on and enough gas was leaking thru to keep it burning. The temp gauge only showed about 150 degrees so it wasn't getting much gas.

Just so nobody else does something this dumb.

/ Nearly burned house down #2  
I always turn off the tank valve, I had a hose leak once.

/ Nearly burned house down #5  
That was close!

/ Nearly burned house down #6  
Key word being "almost". Wheeew, glad that one was a non-starter, pun intended.

/ Nearly burned house down #7  
I don't like gas and this is one reason why.

We bought a seven in one grill a few years ago and it has a propane tank which I seldom use. When grilling or smoking I burn wood not gas. We do use the propane if we are frying something like a turkey or oysters. The propane tank and assembly to the grill is kept in a shed barn well away from the house. The grill we bought is stainless steel and it sits outside under an oak tree. When I am done with the grill, there is very little wood left burning, and I close down the vents so the fire goes out. Even if I left the vents open there is not enough wood to burn long and the grill is sitting on gravel. So many fires are started by grills on wood decks!

My wifey's uncle is a big pig cooker. He has a detached garage full of different BBQ and pig cookers. We were at his house one year for a pig cooking and I noticed he had red legs, arms and face. The red was below the current length of shorts and shirt. His eye brows were missing...

He had gone out to grill and struck a match. One of his propane tanks was open or leaking and the gas went boom, giving him red legs, arms, face and no eye brows. :shocked:

This guy is either the worlds luckiest or unluckiest man. I can figure out which but he really should be dead at this point. He was a medivac pilot in Nam and was shot down 2-3 times. One shoot down put him in the hospital for months. He had a couple of car accidents with deer that should have killed him but did not. Then he fell off the roof when nobody was home. He had compound fractures in one arm and one leg. He had to crawl up some steps, then down steps, and then up some more steps to even get into the house. He had to crawl across the floor to get to the phone mounted on the wall. Not sure how he dialed the phone...

Like I said, the guy should be dead and he is either the worlds luckiest man or the most unluckiest. Can decide which. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

But I don't like gas and Uncle being blown up in his garage is another reason. :D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ Nearly burned house down #8  
WOW, sure avoided a catastrophe!! Good lesson for everyone, grills can be dangerous while in use and after, never get in a hurry that's for sure!!

Glad it worked out for the good..this time. I also turn off the main valve.

/ Nearly burned house down #9  
Wow glad it was "Nearly". Also keep grills away from walls I have replaced siding on several houses where that was not done and it melted and sagged.

/ Nearly burned house down #10  
I agree with those that turn off the Tank Valve: no point in wasting a tank full of gas to a leaky grill or hose. easy to do and makes the grill safer than just the burner valves.

Mark