Fixed My Water Softener!

/ Fixed My Water Softener! #1  

Stimw

Elite Member
My 13 year old softener quit using salt about a year and a half ago. I have been putting off dealing with it. I have been considering a new one in the $400. -500. range.
I did take a sample of the media to the dealer and was told it was OK that clorine is what damages the media and I am on a well.
I googled "softener parts" and found a web site ( Watersoftenerparts.com ) with U-tube videos on how to disassemble the valve parts for cleaning or replacement.
The site also said that most Softener Valves and parts are generic no matter the brand name. Mine was listed there.
I watched the videos and found that there was nothing to fly out or break off and it was very simple to take apart and clean!
I put it back together and now it's working again and I know what to do if it acts up again and what parts to replace if needed.
I have no interest in the website but the videos are priceless!

Last edited:
   / Fixed My Water Softener! #2  
Congratulations! Homeowner-1 Softener-0 :laughing: Of course, the winner has to carry the salt.

/ Fixed My Water Softener! #3  
I've got a 12 year old Northstar softener the one that calls its mother or something. But it's always worked well. I learned early how to remove and disassemble the little jet system and clean it. Once every year or so it gets a particle of sand or something in it and the system can't work. I was worried about the catalyst giving out over time so I called Northstar. The recommend just buying a new unit when that happens. But it seems the catalyst is available in bulk... So I'm going to try to replace it when the time comes. Softeners are really pretty simple devices.

The problem is the salt. Hauling and dumping those bags of salt grows more difficult every year. But, with 28 grain hard water, I can't use the new electronic softeners. Some of the new dual-tank systems look very good, but they are awfully expensive. So I guess I'll just stick with the softeners.

/ Fixed My Water Softener! #4  
Check that link and make sure it's the same you used to get help.

/ Fixed My Water Softener! #5  
I have to periodically clean the nozzle on mine.

/ Fixed My Water Softener! #7  
mine has a little plastic piece that breaks. cost more in shipping to get the part than the cost of the part, but an easy fix.

/ Fixed My Water Softener!
Check that link and make sure it's the same you used to get help.

Thanks!! I was going from memory and I'm getting too old for that! I changed the link to the proper one.

/ Fixed My Water Softener! #9  
Thanks!! I was going from memory and I'm getting too old for that! I changed the link to the proper one.
Yea that's what I thought. I have used the same guy/company. Excellent service and excellent knowledge base.
The guys name is Andrew and I would speculate that he is the hardest working person I've never met.

I completely rebuilt my water conditioning system using his service and parts. I would not consider using anyone else for parts or service
I, along with you, would, and have recommended him to anyone needing help with water treatment.
His company is a great asset for me....and you apparently.
I don't give accolades like this very often, but the truth is the truth.

/ Fixed My Water Softener! #10  
I too have used the same company for watersoftener parts. I found the prices very reasonable and delivery excellent and timely. I have recommended this company to several people

Jim