Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Maple Syrup

It was zero F here this AM. Tubs and tanks are about a third full of ice. I haven't filled the rig yet and it doesn't look good before next weekend.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MASSEY, CASE , FARMALL

It looks like the real season will start this Friday. I have had enough of these short little runs, I want some big runs... enough to fire up the evaporator.

Tractor
    International Hydro 84

We've collected three times now, first couple were small runs (averaged around 200 gallons each) but this last one was pretty decent (450 gallons). The weather forecast (haha) for the upcoming weekend looks promising but I'm not holding my breath anymore. Our forecast over the past couple of weeks hasn't been very accurate. I'm really hoping that we don't have an abrupt temperature change all of a sudden like we did last year.

I remain hopeful but admit to being a bit nervous. How many taps do you have in, wawajake?

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE HST Cab, Mechron 2200

Last year was our first year, we had 38 taps out and got just over 5 gal. Our problem was filtering the niter. What's the secret? We tried hot, cold, warm, cool, didn't seem to matter. This year we tapped on 9 March and got a gallon that weekend, nothing til this weekend where we had ice. Boiled down the ice and got 2 quarts (and 1/2" of niter). Grandkids had a ball, climbing hills and emptying pails.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rmorey View Post
    Last year was our first year, we had 38 taps out and got just over 5 gal. Our problem was filtering the niter. What's the secret? We tried hot, cold, warm, cool, didn't seem to matter. This year we tapped on 9 March and got a gallon that weekend, nothing til this weekend where we had ice. Boiled down the ice and got 2 quarts (and 1/2" of niter). Grandkids had a ball, climbing hills and emptying pails.
    You need a felt filter to get the niter out. Here is a supplier I buy stuff from but you can probably get it locally from where you bought taps etc.
    https://www.bascommaple.com/category..._cone/filters/

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    You need a felt filter to get the niter out. Here is a supplier I buy stuff from but you can probably get it locally from where you bought taps etc.
    https://www.bascommaple.com/category..._cone/filters/
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, I have a felt filter, I just have a hard time getting the syrup thru it.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rmorey View Post
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, I have a felt filter, I just have a hard time getting the syrup thru it.
    Your probably getting it a bit too thick. You could try running it through when it isn't quite done then bring it back to a boil to finish.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    Your probably getting it a bit too thick. You could try running it through when it isn't quite done then bring it back to a boil to finish.
    I'll try that thanks.
    Rick

Tractor
    Kubota BX2660

David P you asked how many taps I have............I use the formulae of 12 taps per grandchild, I only have one grandchild , but one is on the way ! So doubling my operation next year .
    Just a hobby set up ! If I get to fill my 45 gallon rain barrel with raw , then I will get a few quarts of syrup for the family.
    jake
    BX2660, plus weight box, middle buster and toothbar, and now Agri 40" rototiller, Brotek Wheel spacers ! oh and some home made forks too, and a Wallenstein BX42 Chipper and now a tow behind woodsplitter.and a TMI 48 Rotary Cutter..and 51 inch Agri Ease Snowblower...

Quote Originally Posted by wawajake View Post
    David P you asked how many taps I have............I use the formulae of 12 taps per grandchild, I only have one grandchild , but one is on the way ! So doubling my operation next year .
    Just a hobby set up ! If I get to fill my 45 gallon rain barrel with raw , then I will get a few quarts of syrup for the family.
    I like your formulae. It wouldn't work for me as yet but it sounds like some very memorable and happy days.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast