Maple Syrup

/ Maple Syrup #1  

MIKE R

Elite Member
Tractor
Many
As the 2013 Maple Syrup season is just around the corner, I thought I would start a thread to see how everyone is getting ready for the season and how everyone is doing once boiling gets underway.
I have upgraded all my equipment, I went to a continuous flow evaporator, a vacuum system with 150 taps on line and 25 on buckets. I just need to weld my arch up and I am good to go.Maybe a new filter press if money allows.

This setup will be far better then my old barrel evaporator with 30 taps on buckets. I hope to make about 200litres of syrup this year giving me the chance to sell some.

/ Maple Syrup #2  
Very nice. We have a sugar shak next door to us. Love maple syrup!!

/ Maple Syrup #3  
I'd love to try my hand at maple syruping (that's a word right?)
What would a newbie syruper need for equipment to start? I have a large sugar maple right next to the house and would like to get a small amount of syrup out of it.

I know it is somewhere around a 40-1 ratio right? What time of year does "normal" sugaring start for central MA?

/ Maple Syrup #4  
I admire the vac system and hope it pulls for you as expected. Please keep us up to date with your production levels as I am "thinking" of a vac system.

I cleared my main trails today with a snow blower as we just had a bit of a snow dump last day or so. I use my Polaris Ranger to pull a wagon that holds my collection tank so need to be able to get about to collect my 300 pails. Still have alot to do but is suppose to be sunny tomorrow as well.

/ Maple Syrup
I'd love to try my hand at maple syruping (that's a word right?)
What would a newbie syruper need for equipment to start? I have a large sugar maple right next to the house and would like to get a small amount of syrup out of it.

I know it is somewhere around a 40-1 ratio right? What time of year does "normal" sugaring start for central MA?

You will need something to boil the sap on. A pot over a fire a steam table tray on a bbq, a turkey fryer are all good methods for small production. You will need some spiles and buckets that are available from TSC as well as a few buckets to store the sap. The ratio of sap to syrup is about 40-1.

I would recommend the book from Tap my Trees called MAPLE SUGARING AT HOME.

The sap starts to run when nighttime temperatures drop below freezing and daytime temps go above freezing. Mid 20 F during the night and low 40 F during the day are the best conditions.

The size of tree dictates on how many taps you can put on it. Always tap on the south side for the best amount of sap flow.

Tree Diameter Number of Taps
12-20 inch 1
21-27 inch 2
27 + inch 3

/ Maple Syrup #6  
Thanks Mike.
I'll look for some sort of "beginner kit". I would only be doing one or two trees for the first time. One may be a bit over the 27" DBH and the other is certainly between 21-27".

/ Maple Syrup #7  
Mike,
What was the cost of your vacuum system and what is used to run the pump?

Loren

/ Maple Syrup #8  
As the 2013 Maple Syrup season is just around the corner, I thought I would start a thread to see how everyone is getting ready for the season...

I'm making pancakes :D

/ Maple Syrup #9  
I went to the Highland County Va. maple syrup fest a few years ago. Deep fried pork skins were the best. Bought a tin of maple syrup to take home and once home, looked at the bottom of the tin... made in china!

mark

/ Maple Syrup #10  
Bought a tin of maple syrup to take home and once home, looked at the bottom of the tin... made in china!

mark[/QUOTE]

I am guessing they meant the tin, hopefully not the syrup ??