Cutting down a 'leaner'

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
Anyone have tips on how to take down a leaning tree? I have several trees that started to blow over in recent storms but other trees stopped them from falling to the ground. Most of them are in areas that where I can't bring my tractor.
photo 3.JPG

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #2  
What I do is cut the tree from the bottom up in about 6 ft sections, you really have to watch that you do not dislodge a dead piece that can fall on you. You just continue untill it is free.
Personally I have a very long rope, 3/4 inch.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #3  
The way I've done ones like the one pictured, is to start near the base and make a series of cuts, about 12 inches apart, but not cutting the whole way thru. The idea is to let the trunk come to the ground slowly.

But I have at times cut the treee that the leaner is being held up by. This technique is extemely dangerous, and can kill you in a heartbeat. Cut slowly and have a clear path to run..........and I mean run.

Without equipment it's dangerous no matter what you do.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #5  
Like Johnp33, I cut up from the bottom, but usually I cut in stove lengths or 2x stove lengths. The less you alter the weight and distribution of weight with each cut, the less wild the resulting action is going to be. Once in a while, you get one that will teeter up after you get enough weight out of the lower end, and they can slide down with pretty good force after cutting off a section, so keep your chin and toes out of the way.

With any chainsaw cutting, paying real close attention to the pressures in all directions, side to side, up, down, is important. Watch the saw kerf like an eagle and look up a bit too. If it feels shaky, back off and re-evaluate your plan of action. Dragging out with a long rope or chain is probably always safer.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #6  
I sometimes have to use a chainfall or comealong with a chain or strap or cable to another tree to pull the bottom of the tree out. If you whittle away at it and are cautious you can do it reasonably safely. As others have pointed out be constantly aware of any changing pressures or directions of movement in the tree.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #7  
I have always used a chain and the tractor or a come along to pull the bottom of the tree and just pull it on down...I have found that to be the safest and fastest...no way the tree can fall on you..

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #8  
If you could get something to safely pull it out of the trees, it would be easier to cut. Otherwise, as stated above, I'd probably part way cut thru in lengths you feel comfortable with. Just be aware of limbs falling and as you get toward the top, it will start to get more vertical. Careful about being below any of those pieces you cut and if you cut at an angle from horizontal, those pieces will move, sometimes quickly, pretty much in that direction.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #9  
I take it from the pic that the tree is uncut. I agree with cutting as close to the base as possible but make sure you have an exit route cleared prior to cutting. If the root ball has started to come out of the ground be very careful as now both the stump to be and the tree have forces on them. The stump to be may have tension and the tree of course will have gravity. Gravity is somewhat predictable but tension is not, very dangerous if you are in the wrong position. I have "walked" leaners down by cutting firewood length pieces from the butt end but always watching the tree itself as I cut. The safest way is to make the initial cut and then pull the tree away from the hangup.

/ Cutting down a 'leaner' #10  
This is not the safest thing to work on but fairly common in dense bush. I cut a notch on the top of the fallen log at chest hieght, about 1/4 of the dia through to provide a relief cut. Then cut from beneath towards the notch until I see movement. if done slowly, you can "ease" the tree down. The upper part of fallen log will tend to swing towards the tree holding it up while the bottom part "should" drop if cut through and if not fully will tend to swing with the upper portion towards the holding tree as the cut weakens the fallen tree sufficiently. It may be the case that parts of the leaner will stay snagged in the holding tree. I cut up as high as I can reach and leave it to nature to deal with.

As mentioned, ensure you have your escape route planned in advance.