Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #132  
Great work with a keen eye on quality! My wife and I are currently working with an architect on an ICF design.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder
   / Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #134  
Did they do that at the garage doors? I'm a big believer in overkill and not a big fan of nails or screws into concrete instead of anchor bolts. But I grew up in earthquake country and tend to worry more about that then most.

Eddie

Did they do that at the garage doors? I'm a big believer in overkill and not a big fan of nails or screws into concrete instead of anchor bolts. But I grew up in earthquake country and tend to worry more about that then most.

Eddie

Yes. Nails at the garage doors as well, although that's pretty common in this area. Sill plates on the foundation will be anchored.

Day two of framing is over and the basement is basically done. I'm expecting to see some floor joists up tomorrow. We only have 3 work days left to get the sub-floor in and solid wood bracing ready for the frame on Monday. Now that the walls are going up the kids are getting excited as well.

Pictures 108-111

I keep looking at all the timber framing from your barn and think of all the decorative work you could do with those joints if incorporated as architectural features or maybe even furnishings like tables, lamps, desks.

Also, I had Silestone countertops installed in my kitchen back in 2002 when the company was not well known. I've been thrilled with the performance of that material and its seal is far superior to granite. One of the new features they've added is that they can mold in a kitchen sink of the same material right into the countertop. Their colors range from traditional that looks like granite to marble and even metallic patterns. The countertops come with a 15 year guarantee.

Jim,

awhile back you suggested sillstone countertops. Just thought I'd drop an update to let you know sillstone is what we plan to use. After looking into them we found a color we liked almost as much as the granite we picked out. We took a sample of each home and found that the sillstone also didn't show smudges, dirt, or fingers like the granite did. We saved some money as well. Thanks.

Jeremy

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #138  
Agreed. My biggest concern with that option was consistancy of mix, water content, delays between mixes, etc.

Eddie I would typically agree with your comments about the schedule however on this issue delaying the timberframe is not really an option. Framers have our build in the time slot and are already on site. Also delaying means possibly having to re-fit the entire structure if it sits too long. If we stand the frame and not the outdoor overhangs then we have to pay a crew and crane operator to come back out later for that portion.

I ended up doing some brainstorming last night and we have come up with a solution. Instead of forming the concrete right now we are getting some steel supports fabricated to run from the footings to the bottom of the timbers. After the timbers and supports are set we can come in later and box around the supports for stone veneer.

This actually will work out much better as the concrete pier placement is no longer critical. Footings are 36" and I poured them today up to grade. This shortens the length of the supports and gives us plenty of leeway for where the posts land.

Framers showed up today and started framing the basement. Here's a few pics of the framing along with a few post footings.

I have to admit I am not a engineer or sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

You could have use stronger concrete (5000 psi mix or greater) and it would be as hard as you need (2500 psi) in 7 days.
At a plant I worked at we got behind on some concrete work because of weather and we did this to get 2500 psi in 7 days IRRC It was one of the many tricks our structural engineer pulled out of his hat when we needed some magic.

tom

I have to admit I am not a engineer or sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

You could have use stronger concrete (5000 psi mix or greater) and it would be as hard as you need (2500 psi) in 7 days.
At a plant I worked at we got behind on some concrete work because of weather and we did this to get 2500 psi in 7 days IRRC It was one of the many tricks our structural engineer pulled out of his hat when we needed some magic.

tom

Hi Tom,

good to know for future reference. The steel supports will be ready tomorrow. All of the I-joists are in and decking has started along with adding the solid blocking to carry the point loads of the timbers from the subfloor to the basement. I picked up a fitting to take my 2" water line down to 1" copper. I ran it through the foundation and made up a fitting on the inside so that we can pressurize the line. The water company is supposed to set the meter on Tuesday.

I also confirmed with the timber frame company that everything is a go for next week. They plan to arrive and unload mid-day Monday and start around 6:30 Tuesday. If all goes as planned they said they would be finished by 3-4pm Tuesday. I'll try to get a few pics tomorrow.

Jeremy

Here's the subfloor as of this morning. By the time they wrapped up this afternoon almost all of the 4x8 plywood was down and ready for the frame. They just have a few interior posts for support to get in Monday morning.

Some of the solid blocking required for the timbers.

Here are the outside timber supports we had fabricated to take the place of the concrete support posts.

The water meter should be set on Tuesday.