Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder
Here are some pics of the stone veneer that arrived yesterday. We got a great price on this. It's real stone, not manufactured stone and was able to buy it for $3.30 sq/ft for flats and $7.50 linear foot for corners. I think we ended up paying less than $5 sq/ft after shipping. We did a lot of shopping around locally and most places wanted $7 sq/ft for mfg stone and $11+ for real stone. We ordered enough to do the lower part of the front of the house, columns for all of the post supports on the outside of the house, the fireplace, as well as enough extra to do a garage and breezeway if we every add one in the future.

The pallets were tagged for weight. Most of the pallets were between 1700 and 1900 lbs. They were supposed to keep them at a max of 1,600 but were consolidated to save space. I had to use the forks of the tractor and tilt the pallets back quite a bit to shift the center of gravity back toward the tractor. Even then I was barely able to lift a few of the pallets to get them off the truck.

Had a little bit of extra help.

First load moved to the trailer and ready to go to storage for a few months.

Here's a pic of the stone palletized.

And one more after I cleaned it up a bit and laid out a random sample. The base color of the stone is almost a grey slate color and has a lot of gold overtones. The gold overtone is the dominant color but also has variations of brown to reddish brown, black and solid grey.

Pallet or stone corners

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #32  
Really nice looking plan!!!!

Couple of things that jump out at me is the stove in the corner. I really like a stove to have counter space on either side of it. I'm not sure what that bump out is next to the stove, but changing it into more counter space for the other side of the stove might be a simple way to change that.

I like the look of French Doors, but hate having them. I've had quite a few clients have me remove them because of how much air leaks through them. Brand new, they are just alright, but once they get used a little bit, they become a problem. Price isn't going to fix the problem, they are just a very bad type of door for energy efficiency. Sliders are just as bad. A single exterior door with sidelights gives a similar look without all the built in problems.

Corner showers are also something I would avoid. That upstairs bathroom to the right seems king of slaped together without a good plan. What is that thing behind the door? Could you put the shower on that wall and move the toilet to the wall where the shower is? Maybe put in a tub/shower?

Office door should slide over as close to the wall as possible to eliminate wasted space.

Bedroom #3 door is just weird. If you put the bed somewhere else, you could put the door in the corner and not have it in the way like it is.

Congrats on the rock, that's a heck of a price!!!!

Eddie

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #33  
The stone looks good, I would relocate the stove also ,ours is like that and we hate it.

Dave

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #34  
Great pics jk. :thumbsup:

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #35  
Great looking plan! How many square feet on the two main floors? I love the look of timber frame! You have some great plans with hickory and stone. I look forward to your future posts.

Really nice looking plan!!!!

Couple of things that jump out at me is the stove in the corner. I really like a stove to have counter space on either side of it. I'm not sure what that bump out is next to the stove, but changing it into more counter space for the other side of the stove might be a simple way to change that.

I like the look of French Doors, but hate having them. I've had quite a few clients have me remove them because of how much air leaks through them. Brand new, they are just alright, but once they get used a little bit, they become a problem. Price isn't going to fix the problem, they are just a very bad type of door for energy efficiency. Sliders are just as bad. A single exterior door with sidelights gives a similar look without all the built in problems.

Corner showers are also something I would avoid. That upstairs bathroom to the right seems king of slaped together without a good plan. What is that thing behind the door? Could you put the shower on that wall and move the toilet to the wall where the shower is? Maybe put in a tub/shower?

Office door should slide over as close to the wall as possible to eliminate wasted space.

Bedroom #3 door is just weird. If you put the bed somewhere else, you could put the door in the corner and not have it in the way like it is.

Congrats on the rock, that's a heck of a price!!!!

Eddie

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the suggestions. Great feedback and one of the reasons I wanted to post the build on TBN. Here's a list of changes I've made, some based on your suggestions including the double entry doors. I originally planned on a single entry but my wife really wanted double doors. We still have french doors off of the dining room. I'm not sure I can get her to give up both.

1st Floor
1. 1/2 bath in laundry room - removed corner shower and replaced with vanity. Moved bathroom door to hallway.
2. Kitchen - removed doors to pantry next to stove and replaced with counter space.
3. Front Entry Door - remove double entry door and replace with single entry door with sidelights.
4. 1/2 bath next to entry - moved toilet to the same wall the door is on. Toilet will be hidden behind the door when the door is opened up. This frees up the back wall for a larger vanity.

2nd Floor
1. Bedroom #3 - redesigned layout and door location.
2. Bathroom #2 - need to add shower.
3. Bathroom #2 - add laundry chute.
4. Unfinished attic space - Removed small access door out of bathroom#2 and moved to office.
5. Bathroom #1 - moved toilet and vanity and replaced corner shower with tub/shower combo if room permits.
6. Moved office door closer to the wall as suggested.

I'll post updated plans after the changes are made.

Great looking plan! How many square feet on the two main floors? I love the look of timber frame! You have some great plans with hickory and stone. I look forward to your future posts.

First and second floor combined is about 3,350 sq/ft.

Great pics jk. :thumbsup:

Thanks Jay,
Jeremy

Eddie,

I played with bedroom #3 a bit on your suggestion. Here's what I've came up with. The dotted lines coming off of the wall with the window are low overhangs. The wall height on the overhang starts at 4' and goes to 6'8". I left the door where it is to line up with the door opposite of the hallway. This leaves a small void behind the door when open but may be a place to hide a trash can or fan. Let me know what you or anyone else thinks or any suggestions. I'll start numbering pictures from here out as well for easier reference later on.

Jeremy

Picture 24

Here's another version that may make more sense than the first.

Picture 25

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #39  
Both versions work. Which one does your daughter like? Did you already say why you're putting a sink in her room?

Eddie

Both versions work. Which one does your daughter like? Did you already say why you're putting a sink in her room?

Eddie

She only 7 and doesn't seem to care. The only thing she is excited about is the fact that her room is at the opposite end of her two brothers. She says the further away the better, lol. My wife likes the 2nd version better as do I. The sink doesn't stand out in the middle of the room in version 2.

With two boys and a girl ages 4-8 I thought having her own private vanity in her room would be something she would really like, especially as a teenager. After a shower she can get ready, do makeup, etc in her room without tying up one of the bathrooms and no one telling her to hurry up. Growing up my sister had her own vanity in her room and really liked it. I'll re-post the plans after the changes are made. My wife has agreed on changing the entry door. Still working on the french doors in the dining room but don't think it's going to happen.

Jeremy