Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I started a thread back in December about long driveways and appraisals in connections with our plans to build a home.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/266209-long-driveway-home-appraisals.html

Its taken a little longer than I thought but we are finally able to start the build. The biggest problem I ran into was getting approval to be my own general contractor. The biggest issue was contractor lien coverage. The bank wanted a GC with a payment bond to cover the build. It took over a month but we finally received the final approval from the bank last week. I ended up having to use equity from our current assets to secure the project during the lien period.

I thought I would start this thread to document my experience building our home. As mentioned, we are building this as owner builders so I will be my own general contractor on the project. More info to come shortly including pics of the current plans, timber frame design, etc.

Jeremy

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #2  
Jeremy, sounds like an great project and look forward to see the progress both written and in pictures. Banks are really up tight about owner built project, guess they made so many bad loans in the past that now they have to blame someone for it. Take it out on home owners.

We built our own home (2400 sqft addition and the bank was really concerned from the very start, unlike most we were also doing most of the work ourselves which had some good times and many bad ones. We put in for financing and the bank dragged their feet on it so when it came time to do the bulldozer work we decided to go ahead with it. Shortly after bulldozing a portion of the old home and digging the cellar we got a call from the bank telling us they had to do a site evaluation before approving the loan.

Told me they would have an inspector at our place in the morning. I did not sleep too much that night. He should up early and couldn’t believe we had gone ahead without approval. My only comment was “well, we have to get things closed in while the weather is nice and couldn’t wait on the bank” He saw what we were doing and took pictures and left. The next day the bank called and wanted us to come in so we did. The VP said he was nervous about what we had started, but said we could have our load. It was a long process, nearly two years in construction mode with a temp kitchen, shower in the barn, and a wife that I learned could put up with anything.

I really think it helped keep our marriage together.

Keep positive thoughts!

Wayne

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder
Thanks Wayne,

the start to your project sounds a lot like ours - lol. We initial had the pre-approval done back in late Dec. as an owner build, just had to get our plans and estimates together for the appraisal and sign the construction loan. Since we had the pre-approval, I went ahead and purchased appliances at a great year in discount, got the building permit (very easy process in the county outside of city limits), septic perc test done, and drive graded and graveled. About a week before meeting to turn in our plans and estimates we received a call from the bank letting us know that the title companies are now requiring a payment bond and we couldn't owner build. Needless to say this would have blown our budget up. After a lot of leg work we were able to get it approved using equity to cover the payment bond requirement. It's a big relief to finally have this portion of the project behind us so we can now focus on the build instead of the approvals.

Jeremy

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #4  
Jk96 - cant wait to see pictures. I built a full timberframe home 6 years ago and it is quite an experience. I was my own GC. My first project anywhere near this size. There are a lot of mistakes made as it differs from stick frame construction in the order things are done. A GC who has a few timberframes under his belt would be a huge help. It even gets more tricky when you merge timberframe with stick frame. I did it with the garage and bonus room opting for stick frame. Feel free to ask any questions. Maybe I ran into it with my house. We basically built a cape with a bump out living room.

Are you using SIP panels? What brand?

Jk96 - cant wait to see pictures. I built a full timberframe home 6 years ago and it is quite an experience. I was my own GC. My first project anywhere near this size. There are a lot of mistakes made as it differs from stick frame construction in the order things are done. A GC who has a few timberframes under his belt would be a huge help. It even gets more tricky when you merge timberframe with stick frame. I did it with the garage and bonus room opting for stick frame. Feel free to ask any questions. Maybe I ran into it with my house. We basically built a cape with a bump out living room.

Are you using SIP panels? What brand?

We are actually going to stick frame and spray foam around the timber frame instead of using SIP panels. This is not normally the traditional way to do a timber frame since SIPS are almost always used. The original plan was full timber and SIPS but budget didn't allow it. Our framer just finished framing a timber hybrid using this method. The timber frame was from the same timber company we are using so he at least has some experience. The main central portion of the house (living room/entry) will be a full timber frame. The left wing of the home (dining/kitchen) will have the lower level only in timbers. There will be no timber frame for the right wing. I'll try to get some pictures and line drawings up tonight which will make things much clearer than my descriptions. Our timber frame company and framer also use the same design program which is nice as they can share files which will help with the the construction drawings. The other benefit of not using SIPS is a lot more flexibility to change electrical, windows, etc if we need to during the build.

Jeremy

Attached are the floor plans and line drawings that should help make sense of what our plans are for the build. I've also attached the timber profile from our timber framer. As mentioned earlier we will have a full timber frame in the center of the home and timber for the first floor of the left wing for the dining room and kitchen. There is no timber frame for the right wing. We will stick frame around everything and spray foam instead of using sips.

We decided not to hire an architect and designed the homes floor plan and exterior ourselves. It took countless hours of changes and revisions but we finally have something we are very happy with. With that said I'm open to input and suggestions. The timber frame has been put into design, however we have about a week before the timber company starts on the construction and foundation drawings. We still need to sit down and figure out windows. The placement of the laundry room is located where it is because we plan to add a breezeway and garage sometime in the future. The breezeway and garage was scrapped and garage moved to the walkout portion of the basement when we found we were way over budget.

More to come as we progress.

View attachment Floor PlansTBN.pdf
View attachment Timber ProfileTBN.pdf

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #7  
Outstanding design, I really like the layout. I'll be following your trials.
Is the furniture in the floor plan scaled. The master bed takes up 3/4 of a 16' room. That would be close to a 12' bed. LOL

Outstanding design, I really like the layout. I'll be following your trials.
Is the furniture in the floor plan scaled. The master bed takes up 3/4 of a 16' room. That would be close to a 12' bed. LOL

Thanks. A lot of time was spent on the design before I ended up with something we were happy with. The dotted lines are a vaulted ceiling that extend past the bed making it look like part of the bed. I originally added these as a notation for a vaulted ceiling. The room has since been enlarged and the vaulted ceiling was never moved or re-scaled.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #9  
OK, now I see it. I thought that was one big bed. :D

OK, now I see it. I thought that was one big bed. :D

Lol. I like your tag line by the way. Glad we are in the county and not city. Our building permit involved the time it took to write the check. In the door and out in about 5 minutes.

Jeremy