Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100 (50 Hp, 42.5 pto) Kubota BX25D Gravely 2 wheel tractor

Default Subaru Crosstrek

This is not the normal 4x4 truck question but..
    Anyone own a Subaru Crosstrek? If so do you like it, any problems or thoughts on buying one.
    I am looking to replace my wife's RAV4 and when we were out looking at everything made in all wheel drive she really liked the Crosstrek so it is now at the top of the list. We really want something with excellent traction, great visibility for the driver, good gas mileage, decent insurance costs and a reasonable price. She drives around 35000+ miles a year and I would like to have at least 4 trouble free years. We won't be towing with it (got a truck for that), mostly her and the 2 kids in it, and a LOT of highway miles. For reference: We looked at the new RAV4, CRV, the Nissans, and Hyundi's and she was not fond of the rear visibility through those small rear most side windows. Checked out the the Equinox but didn't have a lot of pep for the price (nice inside however), and neither of us liked the Ford Escape (just not for us)
    The Crosstrek is an odd looking car SUV thing but I found it pretty cool looking and the wife really likes it so that is most important so I was looking for others thoughts?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Code54; 02-11-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Typo
    Kubota MX5100
    Kubota BX25D
    Gravely 2 wheel tractor
    Camo RZR4 800LE

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Default Re: Subaru Crosstrek

Well, why isnt it at the top of the list? Subarus have been great cars for me. They are virtually unwreckable, unstoppable in snow, tuf in a collision, and last well. My current one has 314K and everything works. No repair except front end drive parts and timing belt. They seem to lose value fast. The best deal in the world is a used Subaru.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Silver Member
    Tractor
    kubota bx2200

I don't know much about the crosstek but have owned two subarus and they are great, reliable vehicles.
    Wes
    bx2200
    Taurus PT709 9mm
    01 Honda Shadow

http://doevalley.blogspot.com/
    http://dvministry.blogspot.com/

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Tractors16-600hp Farm & Earthmoving Equip, Trucks etc.

The Crosstrek is sold over here as the XV - a few friends have them & love 'em, unfortunately there isn't enough room in the loadspace for us & the sloping tailgate doesn't help so we bought our 3rd Outback.

For some reason Subaru's don't hold their resale value, which as others have suggested makes them a bargain in the used market a low mileage vehicle - with scheduled (premium) oil changes & regular use of injector cleaner (Subaru's seem suceptible to injector problems without it) any Subaru should easliy do 160,000miles + without problems.

Tractor

First off - sorry I had a typo, it IS at the top of the list (not the best at trying to typo on the iPads digital keyboard.

I never realized they had poor resale, maybe I need to watch for a used one? We seem to get her a new car fairly commonly due to the miles so resale is something I care about.
    Please keep the info coming and thanks for the info
    Kubota MX5100
    Kubota BX25D
    Gravely 2 wheel tractor
    Camo RZR4 800LE

Tractor
    2000 Kubota B2910

We have owned 4 Subarus. Our first one was an XT mid 80's vintage XT wagon. It was turbocharged and had a 5 spd manual with the 4 wheel drive button on the shifter. It was a great car, good on gas as it was front wheel drive until you needed 4 wheel, it was also a pretty quick little car. The newer ones are AWD all the time and you pay a price in gas for that, although they are pretty good. My current 2009 Forester with 5spd manual averages 27 mpg. and has gottern as good as 30 on long highway trips. I had the outback sedan with the 3.0 six in it for a while.... it was very peppy but ate a lot of gas... 18 mpg and you had to feed it super.... Overall, excellent cars, if the form factor fits your needs, I don't think you can go wrong.

Regards,
    Chris

Tractor
    Kubota B-7500

Well, if you likE Subaru’s you might like this ad!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=aKSqIX5rteg

Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

I own a 2001 and a 2010 Subaru's.Both are very good.Don't know where Subaru's don't hold their value,they sure do in the north-east U.S.Don't know about the Crosstex other than what I have read,they are considered a little under -powered.Our 2010 Outback has been great,good milage and all around size.

Tractor

Thanks for all the info! My local dealer said they would sell the car at invoice - now that sounds fair enough but is it normal for Subaru dealers to sell at invoice?
    I was looking at the resale in my area (know it varies a lot) and it seems they hold their value as good as anything else so that's a big plus. I must admit it is a neat looking car and the wife really liked it so I am guessing one is coming in the future. As long as it is safe and decent (sounds even far better than decent for that matter) I want her to get what she likes and the Crosstrek is looking like a winner.
    Kubota MX5100
    Kubota BX25D
    Gravely 2 wheel tractor
    Camo RZR4 800LE

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

I've owned 5 Subarus and all have been excellent cars. I still use a Subaru MasterCard to build up points for our next car purchase, when I know we'll be going back to Subaru. They make a solid car, and they are unstoppable in snow.

Depending on the location, getting the car at invoice is typical for Subies. In fact, you can sometimes go below invoice on some models.

At least in my experience, they hold their value well, especially in snowy areas of the US. In ski-country, they are highly sought after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast