Horse meat

/ Horse meat #111  
Probalby wasn't cooked correctly. When I had them, it was tastey. I buy squid and octopus in a can at the oriental food store across the street instead of sardines once in a while. Its good, but a little salty. And the little beaks go CRUNCH once in a while.

Definitely wasn't prepared properly.......as for the suction cups somebody mentioned.....think of them as little lips.......ha ha:licking:

/ Horse meat #113  
Here is a NEWS story that hit the market on my FB account this AM.

Horsemeat Found in Nestle Products | FOX8.com

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...10.74758790293&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf

Horse Meat DNA found in some of the store fresh made goodies...

Mark

The scary part is how can this happen? Food manufacturing should be very strictly managed. Case in point the melamine fiasco from China some years ago (disreputable factories added poisonous melamine to pet food and people food to create false protein readings).

So was this fraud regarding the source ingredients or was it sloppy manufacture? It's almost to the point where sworn documents should accompany raw material shipments or even better detailed analysis of raw materials should be conducted upon receipt of same. Now if they mixed up the meats inside the facility, that's just bad plant management. I wonder which it was.

In the horse meat vs beef example who really cares honestly, neither are harmful. But if one mistake can happen????

/ Horse meat #114  
Yea, most fake scallops are ray fin, vey few are actually shark fin or other shark parts. But those shark steaks are some good eating!

This is very puzzling to me. Scallops taste nothing like fish. I don't see how you could fake a scallop, unless it was some other kind of bivalve/clam.

/ Horse meat #116  
This is very puzzling to me. Scallops taste nothing like fish. I don't see how you could fake a scallop, unless it was some other kind of bivalve/clam.

Being raised just off the Outer Banks I can tell you from personal experience, ray fin and sea scallops taste very similar, if they are fried I can tell the difference, but if they are in butter or sauce it's near impossible, texture is near identical as well. But honestly both are delicious! Now bay scallops are harder to fake and frankly far better tasting to me. As for fish and scallops tasting different, fish steaks from Wahoo, tuna, shark, especially Mako taste nothing like traditional fish and far more like meat. And scallops taste far less like oysters and clams than they do steak fish.
One thing to look for, if all the scallops on your plate are exactly the same size, enjoy your ray/shark fin.

/ Horse meat #117  
One thing to look for, if all the scallops on your plate are exactly the same size, enjoy your ray/shark fin.

I first heard this when I read a book a few decades ago and have never forgotten that bit of information.

The name of the book?

Jaws. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Horse meat #118  
I first heard this when I read a book a few decades ago and have never forgotten that bit of information.

The name of the book?

Jaws. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

A friend of the family was a seafood dealer, he told me when I was a teen.

/ Horse meat #119  
My doctor told me yesterday to watch what I was eating so I went out and bought tickets for the Kentucky Derby !

That's funny!!!:laughing:

/ Horse meat #120