Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

Default Re: Horse meat

We ate horse meat, from a butcher shop in Seattle in the early 1950's. My mother would buy it as is was cheaper than beef. I don't recall it tasting any different than grass feed beef at the time. But I would be eating it again if it would be offered at the local butcher shop.
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2920

Dad told me several times that they were fed horse meat while he was in training at Fort Bliss TX during WWII. They were told that the Army was having problems getting enough beef and what they were getting was going overseas to feed the combat troops. According to him, it had a stronger flavor and was tougher than beef, so most of the Airmen started eating meatless meals whenever they served horse.
    I've eaten dog, cat and monkey, but if I've ever eaten horse, I never knew it.

Tractor
    I did have a pedal John Deere once...

I personally wouldn't eat it, but then I do eat cute little lambs so I'm probably a hypocrite.
    "The darkest time is just one hour before dawn" - Johnny Cash.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by tractchores View Post
    Im not crazy about the idea of eating companion animals.
    I think this is it. Most people probably have an issue eating something that has been named. And most peoples' experience with horses is on TV. Think about the Clydesdale superbowl commercials from Budweiser.

Keith

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

I believe there is a religious prohibition in the book of Leviticus; horses are considered "unclean" or have unclean traits.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 1855

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
    If you make a horse meat sandwich....do you put it on thoroughbread?
    ...and then there's the $5 furlong sub!
    Randy
    Southern boy and proud to tell it!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

When the slaughter houses closed we would see so many old and injured horses at the local auctions go unsold or tied to a post and left there ,also you would see poor families come out of the hills and buy these 7-900 pound animals for $40.00 and take them home for slaughter , I would rather see them used than left to suffer or starve .There was a rumor that 100's had been set loose in an area of Kentucky so many that they were starving and had little water and dieing a hard death because people couldn't afford to feed them a few years ago when hay prices were high .I have also heard that some of the slaughter houses have quietly reopened to deal with the unwanted horse problem ?

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    I think it would be the perfect to mix into fast food burgers. Id perfer to have 50% horse meat in my Taco Bell than the seaweed and TVP they currently use.

We would finnally have a good use/market for all the old horses going to waste around the country.
    Has that ever been proven?

It isn't on their ingredients list.
    Taco Bell; | Ingredient Statement
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    yanmar YM-1700

I'm not aware of ever having eaten horse meat, But who knows! It could be served mixed in with other meats just like hot dogs have pork beef turkey and chicken mixed, I will say that I'm not sure if horse meat would have enough fat in it to provide flavor to the steak, Horses look trim & muscular built, With a beef steak the flavor is in the fat, Any butcher who knows what he's talking about will encourage you to buy your steaks with nice marbleized fat grain in them, ...
    If I could see a raw horse steak I could better judge whether or not I might eat it, I would be tempted to try a bit to find out if it is tender and has flavor, But then again thats what steak sauces are for, right!
    Never judge a man until you've walked a day in his shoes,

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere and Case

Quote Originally Posted by deepNdirt View Post
    I'm not aware of ever having eaten horse meat, But who knows! It could be served mixed in with other meats just like hot dogs have pork beef turkey and chicken mixed, I will say that I'm not sure if horse meat would have enough fat in it to provide flavor to the steak, Horses look trim & muscular built, With a beef steak the flavor is in the fat, Any butcher who knows what he's talking about will encourage you to buy your steaks with nice marbleized fat grain in them, ...
    If I could see a raw horse steak I could better judge whether or not I might eat it, I would be tempted to try a bit to find out if it is tender and has flavor, But then again thats what steak sauces are for, right!
    This years steer produced these strip steaks ! The best beef comes from cattle you raised yourself At least you know what it ate and how it was cared for ,Happy cows make GREAT STEAKS ! 1 1/2 thick and taste perfect ! Horse meat-005.jpg

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast