Horse meat

/ Horse meat #21  
We ate horse meat, from a butcher shop in Seattle in the early 1950's. My mother would buy it as is was cheaper than beef. I don't recall it tasting any different than grass feed beef at the time. But I would be eating it again if it would be offered at the local butcher shop.

/ Horse meat #22  
Dad told me several times that they were fed horse meat while he was in training at Fort Bliss TX during WWII. They were told that the Army was having problems getting enough beef and what they were getting was going overseas to feed the combat troops. According to him, it had a stronger flavor and was tougher than beef, so most of the Airmen started eating meatless meals whenever they served horse.
I've eaten dog, cat and monkey, but if I've ever eaten horse, I never knew it.

/ Horse meat #23  
I personally wouldn't eat it, but then I do eat cute little lambs so I'm probably a hypocrite.

/ Horse meat #24  
Im not crazy about the idea of eating companion animals.

I think this is it. Most people probably have an issue eating something that has been named. And most peoples' experience with horses is on TV. Think about the Clydesdale superbowl commercials from Budweiser.

Keith

/ Horse meat #25  
I believe there is a religious prohibition in the book of Leviticus; horses are considered "unclean" or have unclean traits.

/ Horse meat #27  
When the slaughter houses closed we would see so many old and injured horses at the local auctions go unsold or tied to a post and left there ,also you would see poor families come out of the hills and buy these 7-900 pound animals for $40.00 and take them home for slaughter , I would rather see them used than left to suffer or starve .There was a rumor that 100's had been set loose in an area of Kentucky so many that they were starving and had little water and dieing a hard death because people couldn't afford to feed them a few years ago when hay prices were high .I have also heard that some of the slaughter houses have quietly reopened to deal with the unwanted horse problem ?

/ Horse meat #28  
I think it would be the perfect to mix into fast food burgers. Id perfer to have 50% horse meat in my Taco Bell than the seaweed and TVP they currently use.

We would finnally have a good use/market for all the old horses going to waste around the country.

Has that ever been proven?

It isn't on their ingredients list.
Taco Bell; | Ingredient Statement

/ Horse meat #29  
I'm not aware of ever having eaten horse meat, But who knows! It could be served mixed in with other meats just like hot dogs have pork beef turkey and chicken mixed, I will say that I'm not sure if horse meat would have enough fat in it to provide flavor to the steak, Horses look trim & muscular built, With a beef steak the flavor is in the fat, Any butcher who knows what he's talking about will encourage you to buy your steaks with nice marbleized fat grain in them, ...
If I could see a raw horse steak I could better judge whether or not I might eat it, I would be tempted to try a bit to find out if it is tender and has flavor, But then again thats what steak sauces are for, right!;)

/ Horse meat #30  
I'm not aware of ever having eaten horse meat, But who knows! It could be served mixed in with other meats just like hot dogs have pork beef turkey and chicken mixed, I will say that I'm not sure if horse meat would have enough fat in it to provide flavor to the steak, Horses look trim & muscular built, With a beef steak the flavor is in the fat, Any butcher who knows what he's talking about will encourage you to buy your steaks with nice marbleized fat grain in them, ...
If I could see a raw horse steak I could better judge whether or not I might eat it, I would be tempted to try a bit to find out if it is tender and has flavor, But then again thats what steak sauces are for, right!;)

This years steer produced these strip steaks ! The best beef comes from cattle you raised yourself At least you know what it ate and how it was cared for ,Happy cows make GREAT STEAKS ! 1 1/2 thick and taste perfect ! 005.JPG