Horse meat

/ Horse meat #1  

J_J

Super Star Member
Tractor
Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST
How many people have eaten horse meat on purpose, and how many eat meat not knowing horse meat is mixed in with other meats?

Would you even know, and if it was good tasting would you continue to eat it.

Is it forbidden by the FDA?

Why can one not eat horse meat? Is it taboo or for religious reasons, or does it not taste good, or what is wrong with eating horse meat.

Just curious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat

Excerpt.

American horse meat is considered a delicacy in Europe and Japan, and its cost is in line with veal.

It is kind of odd that you can feed some people some meat and not tell them what it is , and they like it, but when you tell them exactly what it is , they get sick or puke. Go figure.

/ Horse meat #2  
Nothing wrong with eating horse meat. It's just like dog meat. Problem in these united states are the sanctimonious busy bodies that think because they don't eat horse, no one else should. They destroyed the equine slaughter industry. That's the main of the reason for the huge increase in malnourished horses left in various fields. Slaughter would have insured the horses would have some value to be fed instead of nothing.

/ Horse meat #4  
But Wiiiillllberrrr!

/ Horse meat #5  
My dad and his buddies ate horse, mule and whatever turned up dead across France and Germany, he said it beat the h3ll out of C-rations!

/ Horse meat #7  
I think it would be the perfect to mix into fast food burgers. Id perfer to have 50% horse meat in my Taco Bell than the seaweed and TVP they currently use.

We would finnally have a good use/market for all the old horses going to waste around the country.

/ Horse meat #8  
I have often wondered the same thing myself. Not a lot of difference between a horse and a cow when it comes to meat.
I have never tasted it but I suspect it has a stronger flavor than beef.
Some people find the idea of consuming a horse very disurbing and I'm sure we will be hearing from them shortly.

/ Horse meat #9  
Heck if you are over 45 and lived out in country & grew up eating hamburgers there is pretty good chance you might have had some back then :p I know we ate it in 70's growing up as kids as an adder in butcher made burger and often as adders in hotdogs kielbasi and other prepared meat goods.

probably why I cant stand the new hotdogs and hamburger that has no taste or flavors worth eating without wood fired BBQ and lots of condiments.

mark

/ Horse meat #10  
I've never eaten any, to the best of my knowledge. A friend who retired from the U.S. Army married a French girl many years ago, and said he was surprised to learn he was eating horse meat in Europe. I'd have no objection to eating it.