Trapping mice by launching them

/ Trapping mice by launching them #21  
I have several of buckets with the peanut butter bait, works well most of the time for the outbuildings. Cats are part of our solution too.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #22  
Don't have any experience with other types of traps, but around here a Victor (TSC) spring trap and peanut butter has never failed me. We used at work for a spell cheap spring traps like from $ store and nothing worked as good as Victor brand.

Boone

/ Trapping mice by launching them #23  
Just had to respond to this thread based on the title.

A beloved aunt (RIP) basically made all her pocket money thru high school and part of college using spring traps affixed to wire mesh on the spring and the trap nailed to a coffee can opening such that when the mouse tripped the spring it was thrown into the coffee can. She then sold the mice to a local hospital lab for testing. This was back in the late '1940's. Ah what memories.

For my warehouses I use the Farnam Just One Bite II Bait Chunks

bait%20chunks%204lbs_sm.jpg

The previous owner had used the warehouses for party sheds and junk storage, so I went thru quite a few bait chunks at first. But for the last six months I haven't had to replace one.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #24  
For those that are not a cat person like myself, get a rat terrier. We don't have any mice or rats but she loves to bring me the crazy ones that come across our yard to go to our neighbors.

Her record to date is
6 rats
3 squirrels
2 birds
And she has her eyes set on a big @$$ possum.

You must have a better rat terrier than I do. :)

Mine is certifiably crazy and although very affectionate to me, has to out alpha any dog within 5 miles regardless of their size. I asked my vet about this trait...his response...he is a terrorist (aka terrier).

/ Trapping mice by launching them #25  
Second-generation rodent poisons are being found to cause mortality among pets and livestock, and raptors such as owls that are natural rodent predators:
Merck Veterinary Manual

"Potentially dangerous to all mammals and birds, anticoagulant rodenticides are the most frequent cause of poisoning in pets. Pets and wildlife may be poisoned directly from baits or indirectly by consumption of poisoned rodents. Intoxications in domestic animals have resulted from contamination of feed with anticoagulant concentrate, malicious use of these chemicals, and feed mixed in equipment used to prepare rodent bait.

All anticoagulants have the basic coumarin or indanedione nucleus. The “first-generation” anticoagulants (warfarin, pindone, coumafuryl, coumachlor, isovaleryl indanedione, and others less frequently used) require multiple feedings to result in toxicity. The “intermediate” anticoagulants (chlorophacinone and in particular diphacinone) require fewer feedings than “first-generation” chemicals, and thus are more toxic to nontarget species. The “second-generation” anticoagulants (brodifacoum and bromadiolone) are highly toxic to nontarget species (dogs, cats, and potentially livestock) after a single feeding."

Something to be aware of.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #26  
Second-generation rodent poisons are being found to cause mortality among pets and livestock, and raptors such as owls that are natural rodent predators:
Merck Veterinary Manual

<snip>

Something to be aware of.

Yes, there are warnings all over the labels. I put my baits up on the shelves in containers where mice/rats can get to them but any stray dogs couldn't.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #27  
I trap all kinds of critters around my place. Kill mice and rats, live trap bigger more interesting animals.

One of the best parts of live trapping is live releasing, or getting creative about where you release them.

I'm always taken back when I literally have to through a possum or raccoon out of the trap.

I also have friends that will take possums and raccoons. I just don't eat at their house anymore.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #28  
What I caught by far the most mice with was using a 5 gal. bucket with water about 3/4 full. I set about 2 or 3 of them by the woodpile and near the garden and in the garage. I take a 1x4 and make a ramp to the top of the bucket. I take a couple handfuls of cheapo sunflower seeds and throw them in the bucket and sprinkle them on the board and on the ground near the board to coax them up. They jump right in the bucket. Every few days I have to throw another handful of seeds in the bucket and every few weeks dump them out.

interesting using the seeds . i wonder about the water, during winter, and have heard about using some 50/50 instead
i wonder if just some peanut butter around the inside edge of the bucket, and a ramp will make it happen without the rolling
can. maybe some seeds on the ramp to get them up there to smell the PB

can we reinvent the mousetrap?

/ Trapping mice by launching them
Great help, everyone! I haven't had to deal with mice in the past years, but now that we are having the problem, I knew that members here would have tested, practical advice.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #30  
Does the bucket trick work with Chipmunk?