Trapping mice by launching them

/ Trapping mice by launching them #51  
Oh, I stopped with the glue traps when the dog came in with one on his A@#. Took a while to cut it off!

I think you can use a cooking oil like canola oil and it will release whatever is on the trap.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #52  
I have a neighbor who used to "live release" mice about a mile from her house. She painted the tail of one red once and caught it again 3 days later. If you don't kill them, they just become someone else's problem. I try and not use poison but IMHO, it is the best way to wipe out a large population quickly and then just use the traps for "maintenance". I do like the bucket idea for outbuildings though.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #53  
I was always afraid with poison that a cat would catch the mouse and eat it and kill the cat.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #54  
We also, had a cat for this. The cat advised us to concentrate on inside mice since the outside mice pose no threat and that mice prefer warm, cozy space. Anyway, the deal we negotiated with that cat was that he would hunt for mice 24/7 if we fed him well (he didn't like the taste of mice), let him sleep at the foot of our bed (when he wasn't hunting mice) and rub his ears (when he was on break from hunting mice). One day, he actually caught a mouse. We figured he fell asleep with his mouth open and a mouse wandered into his mouth, just as he woke up.

That sounds like all 10 of my cats. 5 boarders for the winter and 5 house cats. Darn things couldn't catch a cold.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #55  
Same here. Also built bait boxes with mouse/rat sized holes.

Harry K

/ Trapping mice by launching them
I've had glue traps in the basement and upstairs, and we had no problems for months, but tonight, a young mouse ran across the living room floor and behind the china cupboard. I have NO idea how it got in.

Figured it out!

There is a sun room attached to the house, and the bottom 2x4 at the base of the wall did not butt all the way against the exterior sheathing. They probably moved it out to plumb the studs. They were coming in from outside - going to the corner, climbing up behind the corner channel of the siding, and getting in the gap. It's stuffed with Steel wool now, and We'll be watching!