Trapping mice by launching them

/ Trapping mice by launching them #1  

KestrelMerlin

Tractor
John Deere 2305
When we moved into our new house, the builder left a small gap around the Bilco door entrance. I didn't even notice it until I saw that we had some mice in our poured concrete basement. I sealed it up and used spring traps and glue traps and got rid of them.

Later, we caught a mouse in the kitchen. It may have come in through the garage door when someone came in the house. Got it with a glue trap.

I've had glue traps in the basement and upstairs, and we had no problems for months, but tonight, a young mouse ran across the living room floor and behind the china cupboard. I have NO idea how it got in.

I couldn't get to it, so I set glue traps at both ends of the cupboard, and then decided to set some spring traps elsewhere in case there were siblings. Baited them with peanut butter.

On a whim, I set one of the spring traps about 6 inches away from one glue board. While I was setting the other traps, I heard the first one snap. My wife saw it out of the corner of her eye. The trap threw the mouse in the air, and it landed on the glue board.

I searched this board for other posts about trapping mice, but I didn't find them.

Any words of wisdom about setting different kinds of traps? Somehow, this last mouse evaded my glue boards, and I want to be SURE that there are none of the little varmints left in the house.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #2  
I use raisins on the spring traps. They grab the raisin pull on it and WHAM its squashed mouse for supper. With peanut butter they are able to lick it off without tripping the spring. I have never used the glue traps. I do like the live wind up traps, that you catch them then release them somewhere else, a few extra winds on the spring and it launches them into the trap (trash compactor) with such great force it does them in on impact with the back panel of the box.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #3  
Got a pair of outdoor cats. I will hear a mouse in the walls or attic and a day or two later I find the dead mouse don't even know we're my traps are anymore

/ Trapping mice by launching them #4  
While waiting to build our house we were living in an older house that turned out be infested with mice. It was nightmare as there were just too many holes and gaps in the house to ever get rid of them, so I ended up becoming an expert in killing them. Normally I am as much as an animal lover as possible, but when you find mice poop in your 3 year older bed, things change pretty quickly. I felt bad in the beginning, in the end I was just pissed off.

I must have killed 50 or more in the year or so we were there..

What did I learn?

1.. Peanut butter is best plain and simple.
2.. Live traps were hit and miss and in the end are alot of work. The good part of the larger ones is that once 1 goes in, more will follow.
3.. The best traps were the snap traps with the flat yellow surface that is actually sticky. These were basically were the top dog for me.
4.. Use as little peanut butter as possible, as too much feeds them most times without going off.
5.. Putting them along the wall a half an inch from the wall with the yellow slab facing the wall was key.
6.. See poop, put a trap there.
7.. Change the pb every 2 days. It needs to smell fresh.

The really sad part was that I actually had killed several of them by smacking them with my bare hands. Not a high point in my life but when you wake up hearing them in the room with you, turn on the light and they are runningfor the door. Blam!

Btw, you need to find out how they are getting in.... They did not follow someone through a door as they typically avoid contact. Start with every door and then check the sill plate all the way around the house. I did this but gave up after burning through 4 cans of sprayfoam.

I can say though, this experience made me so conscious when building our new home. A hole the size of some dime can be enough....

/ Trapping mice by launching them #5  
Never tried raisins, I can see how that would work. I've had better luck with cheese than peanut butter in the spring traps.

Steel wool stuffed in cracks is a good deterrent for mice. I guess they don't like to chew that.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #6  
While waiting to build our house we were living in an older house that turned out be infested with mice. It was nightmare as there were just too many holes and gaps in the house to ever get rid of them, so I ended up becoming an expert in killing them. Normally I am as much as an animal lover as possible, but when you find mice poop in your 3 year older bed, things change pretty quickly. I felt bad in the beginning, in the end I was just pissed off.

Like you, I love animals as much as the next person, but when it comes to mice I'm a cold blooded killer. Thankfully, now that we have 4 cats (two indoor and two outdoor) mice don't stand a chance around here.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #7  
glue traps and spring traps here. for what ever reason, the goldfish/koi pellet food, for the downstairs pond, draws mice, compared to anything else in my house, and i end up having to place traps around the jug i keep the food in. heck i got the dryer setup a couple inches away from wall and anything else, and mice still find a way to "jump" about a foot to get onto dryer (even baby mice), to get to the food, and then BAM!, they get a glue or spring trap, perhaps a couple traps on them.

i actually gave up trying to put anything on spring traps, to much trouble. and i just let the smell of the goldfish/koi pellet food draw them up on top of the dryer. no clue why it happens, it just works for me. if i end up catching a female mice, i end up having to put a couple glue traps up against a wall, around a 90 degree corner that sticks out, say a doorway, or corner of a cupboard on the floor. so the babies will more likely run across the glue trap. vs running around it as they hug the sides.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #8  
Get a cat.

/ Trapping mice by launching them #9  
This year I have been determined to inflict as much damage as possible by trapping as many as them as I could. Surely in two barns I'm up to 70 or so and as soon as we get a little warm weather they start to move and I catch more. Peanut butter works for me and it really isn't all that fresh at times.

Some do indeed get launched when they are on the spring part of the traps when they go off. I usually find the carcass about 15 ft away. Mice seem to die pretty easy and it seems you can scare them to death.

Anyway, the body count is climbing and I'm determined to make a real dent in their population.