Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23
  1. #11
    Silver Member Gordo 56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    199
    Location
    Park Forest, IL
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000 DT

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by Singalo View Post
    What are they like to heat? Being a pole barn, are the difficult to insulate like you would a more conventional house? How are you planing to heat it? Wood? Boiler?
    Most stick built homes uses much more lumber and takes much longer to erect which brings up your labor and material cost of a regular built home. Most are built with 2x4 walls but can be more efficient if built with 2x6 walls but that makes the house cost even more.

    Pole barn homes are very easy to insulate just like a regular home. Instead of the wall studs going vertical you put 2x6's horizontal like a book shelve from pole to pole. They are put every 24" and you can use regular rolled insulation or spray foam insulation. Pole barn homes usually don't have a basement but is built with a slab that is usually poured after the building is built. If you insulate under the slab and insulate the 6" walls the pole barn house can be very energy efficient.

    I plan to use radiant floor heating that uses pex tubing that will be in the slab foundation that uses a regular hot water heater to heat water that flows through pex to heat the floor. It is a much more comfortable heat and if done right can be very energy efficient.
    To see more posts and photos of my farm, Milligan's Gander Hill Farm, A Beginning Farmer link to my farm blog at http://milligansganderhillfarm.wordpress.com/

  2. #12
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo 56 View Post
    Most stick built homes uses much more lumber and takes much longer to erect which brings up your labor and material cost of a regular built home. Most are built with 2x4 walls but can be more efficient if built with 2x6 walls but that makes the house cost even more.

    Pole barn homes are very easy to insulate just like a regular home. Instead of the wall studs going vertical you put 2x6's horizontal like a book shelve from pole to pole. They are put every 24" and you can use regular rolled insulation or spray foam insulation. Pole barn homes usually don't have a basement but is built with a slab that is usually poured after the building is built. If you insulate under the slab and insulate the 6" walls the pole barn house can be very energy efficient.

    I plan to use radiant floor heating that uses pex tubing that will be in the slab foundation that uses a regular hot water heater to heat water that flows through pex to heat the floor. It is a much more comfortable heat and if done right can be very energy efficient.
    That is very interesting. I have something to new to read up on now. Can't wait to see pictures

  3. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    7
    Location
    Lowell, Arkansas
    Tractor
    Kubota L39

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    Here is something you may be interested in. Wood Horse Barn Kits | Prefab Barns with Apartment | Garage and House Kit | Barn Pros

    They use true pole barn construction. I plan on building a pole barn home/shop later this year.

  4. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Tractor
    None

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    You can also bookshelf using 2x8 girts to achieve more air gap for your insulation, install them with 1 1/2" protruding past the post and you don't have to notch the truss carriers into the posts which saves some time. Just be sure to use ring shank nails for truss to post and truss carrier to post connections.

    Best of Luck,
    Robert Turner

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo 56 View Post
    Most stick built homes uses much more lumber and takes much longer to erect which brings up your labor and material cost of a regular built home. Most are built with 2x4 walls but can be more efficient if built with 2x6 walls but that makes the house cost even more.

    Pole barn homes are very easy to insulate just like a regular home. Instead of the wall studs going vertical you put 2x6's horizontal like a book shelve from pole to pole. They are put every 24" and you can use regular rolled insulation or spray foam insulation. Pole barn homes usually don't have a basement but is built with a slab that is usually poured after the building is built. If you insulate under the slab and insulate the 6" walls the pole barn house can be very energy efficient.

    I plan to use radiant floor heating that uses pex tubing that will be in the slab foundation that uses a regular hot water heater to heat water that flows through pex to heat the floor. It is a much more comfortable heat and if done right can be very energy efficient.
    -------
    Robert Turner
    OptiKits! by APB Pole Barns

  5. #15
    Silver Member Gordo 56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    199
    Location
    Park Forest, IL
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000 DT

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by rturner View Post
    You can also bookshelf using 2x8 girts to achieve more air gap for your insulation, install them with 1 1/2" protruding past the post and you don't have to notch the truss carriers into the posts which saves some time. Just be sure to use ring shank nails for truss to post and truss carrier to post connections.

    Best of Luck,
    Robert Turner
    Thanks Robert for your reply, I had a pole barn supplier tell me the same thing about using 2x8's in the bookshelf method and then you would have your framing for the inside and your girts all in one board. I wasn't sure what he meant how that works. Does the 1 1/2 that protrudes past the post goes on the inside of the building or does it protrude past the outside and that is what you nail your metal to?
    To see more posts and photos of my farm, Milligan's Gander Hill Farm, A Beginning Farmer link to my farm blog at http://milligansganderhillfarm.wordpress.com/

  6. #16
    Super Member SPIKER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    5,000
    Location
    Ohio, Jeromesville, Ashland County
    Tractor
    Jinma 284

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo 56 View Post
    Thanks Robert for your reply, I had a pole barn supplier tell me the same thing about using 2x8's in the bookshelf method and then you would have your framing for the inside and your girts all in one board. I wasn't sure what he meant how that works. Does the 1 1/2 that protrudes past the post goes on the inside of the building or does it protrude past the outside and that is what you nail your metal to?
    The Metal is normally NAILED to 2x4 girts running horizontal between posts. the 2x8 would be nailed to the top of these 2x4s and the metal would be right against them as well. NORMALLY you would have the pole barn all done as a dry in package then floor goes in and you come back and frame up the inside into walls and insulate and seal it up. I have mine about 2/3's done but went with the 2x6 vertical framing.

    Some pics.






    mark
    I may remember why I went to the other end of the shop, I'm just afraid once I get there I'll forget how to get back!

  7. #17
    Veteran Member MacLawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,232
    Location
    Red Clay Country, GA & Mississippi Prarie
    Tractor
    JD 2210

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    Gordon, what a beautiful spot!! I think you will like pole barn house. My nephew is building one now but his has crawl space instead of slab. That floor heat is great! I'm looking forward to following your build!
    "He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive". Dirt, it's nothing but dirt, I tell ye...
    If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport.
    "I wouldn't want to be within 400 or 500 yards of one of them newfangled nuclear bombs when it went off!" WW1 Vet...

  8. #18
    Silver Member Gordo 56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    199
    Location
    Park Forest, IL
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000 DT

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by MacLawn View Post
    Gordon, what a beautiful spot!! I think you will like pole barn house. My nephew is building one now but his has crawl space instead of slab. That floor heat is great! I'm looking forward to following your build!
    Thanks for commenting MacLawn
    To see more posts and photos of my farm, Milligan's Gander Hill Farm, A Beginning Farmer link to my farm blog at http://milligansganderhillfarm.wordpress.com/

  9. #19
    Silver Member Gordo 56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    199
    Location
    Park Forest, IL
    Tractor
    Kubota L3000 DT

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    Thanks Spiker for sharing this, it looks great. I might end up using the 2x6's vertical like you did.
    To see more posts and photos of my farm, Milligan's Gander Hill Farm, A Beginning Farmer link to my farm blog at http://milligansganderhillfarm.wordpress.com/

  10. #20
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Tractor
    None

    Default Re: Pole Barn House Plans

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordo 56 View Post
    Thanks Robert for your reply, I had a pole barn supplier tell me the same thing about using 2x8's in the bookshelf method and then you would have your framing for the inside and your girts all in one board. I wasn't sure what he meant how that works. Does the 1 1/2 that protrudes past the post goes on the inside of the building or does it protrude past the outside and that is what you nail your metal to?
    On the outside so you don't have to notch the truss carriers and fit the grade board between the posts. The 1 1/2" is simulating nailing the girts on the outside of the post like a typical pole barn.

    RT
    -------
    Robert Turner
    OptiKits! by APB Pole Barns

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Your favorite pole barn plans?
    By vtsnowedin in forum Projects
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM
  2. Pole Barn Kit vs Plans
    By Dougryan in forum Projects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 04:58 PM
  3. Pole barn plans
    By gregfender in forum Projects
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 02:07 AM
  4. Pole Barn plans
    By paulyny in forum Projects
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2008, 11:48 AM
  5. Any good sites for pole barn plans?
    By clovergamecock in forum Projects
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-06-2007, 10:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.