Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please

/ Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please #31  
Forget the oven, it doesn't get hot enough to season cast iron properly. Coat that sucker in lard, then fire up the charcoal grill and let it bake. The hotter the better. Assuming that you have a charcoal grill.

I really disagree with this claim, no offense. I have put cast iron in the oven on the self-clean cycle, which tops out around 800 degrees or thereabouts. The pan comes out with absolutely no seasoning on it at all--totally bare metal that begins to rust almost instantly. IMO, there's no need to go higher than perhaps 500-600 degrees, and going too high will burn off the seasoning.

/ Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please #32  
I watched a show with some stuff about Lodge Cast Iron on the History Channel the other night. After they cast the pan, they just have a robotic arm use a spray gun to coat it with "seasoning", then run it through some type of fancy heating system.
I'd wondered before how the Lodge Preseasoned cookware worked, but with that thin of a coating, I can see why they really wouldn't be seasoned. The pans were also suspended by the handle through the process, so it didn't look like the bottom of the pan would get nowhere near as seasoned as it would while laying flat.

I called my old mess sergeant about his method yesterday afternoon. He said that in order for something to be nonstick, it had to be flat, that little spikes and ridges in the casting was what the food was sticking to, they didn't have to be iron, that built up carbon would also do it, which is why he used the grill stone. Said it worked like a whet-rock to 'hone' those ridges and spikes down flat. He said he always thought that the salt worked because the oil stuck to the grains of salt and the stone forced both down into the casting.
I can't repeat every word he used because if I did, I'd be banned from this forum for life, but the gist of it was that anything cast would have food stick to it unless it was seasoned and his way had worked for him for 23 years and he sure as heck wasn't going to try or recommend any other way.

He also said that he loved his wife of 22 years more than anything, but she knew if she ever got caught using soap on one of his cast skillets that he'd slap her naked and steal her clothes!

/ Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please #33  
Just made eggs in one of our cast iron skillets. Cleanup consisted of putting a little warm water into the pan right after I took the eggs out, scrubbing the egg remnants out, rinsing, then setting back on the burner to dry off after which it got some oil rubbed in.

Aaron Z

/ Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please #34  
I'm not having all the problems some have mentioned with Lodge pre-seasoned pans. Actually, I think the little surface bumps allow cooking oil reservoirs to exist under the food. I also think the bumps and their texture are there by design, not just because the pan wasn't ground smooth after casting. I agree that cooking temperature has a lot to do with food not sticking.

With old pans with a heavy "seasoning" layer, you aren't cooking on cast iron, you are cooking on a built-up layer food and oil residues--not that there is anything wrong with that--as anyone with a favorite potato frying pan knows. :D

/ Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please #35  
I belive lodge brand are rough sand cast and not finished.

Yes, they are sand castings...that's how Lodge orders them from the foundry.

/ Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please #36  
Sitting here with a throbbing finger....

I will be making a pot of field peas today and whole grain bread to go with on Sunday. I should have started the dough yesterday but I did not think about it early enough. I needed to clean up the cast iron bread pans and I ended up having to soak them in water to get off the bread that had stuck to the pans. I put the pans back in the oven and blasted them for four minutes with the toaster setting which I think gets over 400 degrees. I let the pans sit in the hot oven and then went to add some oil and try to the salt rub.

I grabbed a towel to pick up the pans but I did not fold it over like I normally would and SHOULD. The pans had been in the oven for 15-30 minutes and my brain obviously was not working...

Hard to believe but the cast iron was still hot! :duh::censored::muttering::hissyfit::irked:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

My dad uses salt to clean up the pans and Gunny's testimonial made me try. Just wished I had folded up the towel a few more times. :shocked::D:D:D

Ice water does help. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please #37  
General Lee, Morning..... the best oil to use to season Cast Iron is an oil that has a high iodine number... Flax seed oil fits that the best.... It has a low smoke point and should not be used for frying.... Put a thin layer on the pan and heat to 400-450 deg F.... It will smoke... the oil polymerizes into a very, very hard coating.... I have a new #10 DO with about 6 coatings on it... Nothing sticks to it now.... beans and hocks rinse right out... spaghetti sauce, tomato base will rinse right out.... It may need an additional coating and baking but the coating is still there... Flax Oil can be found on Amazon or your local health food store.... It is worth the price.... After coating CI for years with other oils that don't really work, I am very happy with the Flax Oil coating.... Dave 7-12 Do.jpeg

/ Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please #38  
General Lee, Morning..... the best oil to use to season Cast Iron is an oil that has a high iodine number... Flax seed oil fits that the best.... It has a low smoke point and should not be used for frying.... Put a thin layer on the pan and heat to 400-450 deg F.... It will smoke... the oil polymerizes into a very, very hard coating.... I have a new #10 DO with about 6 coatings on it... Nothing sticks to it now.... beans and hocks rinse right out... spaghetti sauce, tomato base will rinse right out.... It may need an additional coating and baking but the coating is still there... Flax Oil can be found on Amazon or your local health food store.... It is worth the price.... After coating CI for years with other oils that don't really work, I am very happy with the Flax Oil coating.... DaveView attachment 303631

Good stuff here on flax oil Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To

Just purchased a waffle iron from Amazon, see link its being shipped and on its way .
Amazon.com: Rome's #1100 Old Fashioned Waffle Iron, Cast Iron: Home & Kitchen

/ Seasoning a cast iron skillet....Tips please #40  
If you have old cast iron that looks to be in good condition but has years of caked on crud and you want to clean it down to bare metal the best way I have heard of is electrolysis. I have not tried this yet as I didn't come across the process until I had used the oven's self cleaning cycle on mine.

http://www.wag-society.org/Electrolysis/electros.php

If you use the oven you will end up with bare grey metal that is rusty as mentioned by others. I then wire brush or wire wheel as much rust off as I can. Once I have the pan clean I use vinegar water 50% solution similar to the following

http://www.hobbyfarms.com/crafts-and-nature/cast-iron-refurbish.aspx

I add a step where I neutralize the pan after the acidic vinegar treatment in baking soda water ( a base) before oiling and seasoning in the oven.