Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED!

/ Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED!
I precharged the tank before opening the valve to the house. I had roughly 50 showing on the water pressure guage. I am not sure how to adjust for what you are describing. How can I do this.

Thanks
W

/ Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED! #12  
common pump switch settings are cut-in at 30 or 40 psi and cut out at 50 or 60 psi. (20 psi between cut-in and cut-out).
with pump off, or valve to house closed, relieve pressure in house plumbing by opening a tap.
at this point, tank pressure should be just under cut-in setting.
if you're not sure of your pump cut-in cut-out settings, adjust tank precharge to something just below 30psi, and go from there.

Pete

/ Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED! #13  
I precharged the tank before opening the valve to the house. I had roughly 50 showing on the water pressure guage. I am not sure how to adjust for what you are describing. How can I do this.

Thanks
W

The pre charge of the tank should be a few pounds less than the cut-in pressure of the pump. If cut-in for the pump to turn on is 30 Pre charge should be 28.

/ Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED! #14  
I'm willing to bet you have a hole in your line. It will lose it's prime when everything else works...

/ Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED! #15  
I'm willing to bet you have a hole in your line. It will lose it's prime when everything else works...

He said "Depth of pump to the bottom of the well is roughly 20' "
I don't think it needs to be prime. If a two pipe then it could be. Plus he had a pressure reading on the line.

/ Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED! #16  
Yes the pressure in the tank has to be lower than the cut out. The standard is 2 psi. If the pressure in the tank is too high it will not allow the pump to turn on properly. A 44 psi tank pressure and a 30 lb pressure switch will not get along well. You will just drain all the water from the system and the pressure from the tank will not allow the pump to kick on. I just turn the pump off relieve the pressure in the system and check with a tire gauge. Take pressure off or fill with a pump of some sort. It is always a good idea to check the cut in pressure too, most switches are adjustable and more than a few times I have had a new one be a little off. Just open a faucet and see what pressure the pump kick on.

/ Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED! #17  
   / Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED! #18  
In addition to the cut-in pressure and the cut-out pressure, some switches also include a Low-pressure fail over. (Not sure that's the right name for it) What it does is if the pressure falls to low then the switch turns off the pump until the switch is reset. These are normally used on systems that are not monitored regularly and the purpose is to keep from burning up the pump if there is a leak that depletes the water. This could happen to you if you use water faster than the well & pressure tank can supply it. You may have 50psi when you reset it, and all is fine, but if you use water fast enough that the pump turns on at the cut-in pressure and the pressure keeps falling due to using more water than can be supplied, eventually the pressure will fall below the Low-pressure limit and shut the pump off and you'll end up with zero pressure, but a system that is working correctly. (I.e. check to see what kind of pump controller/pressure switch you have.)

Here's a link to the pressure switch I'm referring to: Parts20 Pressure switch 30/50 with Low Pressure Cutoff-FP217-1140-P2 at The Home Depot

It says:
Includes low-pressure safety cutoff to shut off the pump when the system pressure drops to 10 psi

Last edited:
   / Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED! #19  
so now we just wait for the OP to let us know how close our diagnosis was...

/ Well again! What else can it be? FRUSTRATED!
Thanks guys! No update yet. I had to work late. Right now all is good but from all of you alls comments and advice I think I have the tank and the switch pretty far off from what they should be. I will jump on it first thing in the morning with hopefully some good news to follow.

Wade