Water Well Pump Monitor???

/ Water Well Pump Monitor???
You really need to get out there and introduce yourself to your well system.

Haven't needed to until my wife left the water on, filling the horse water tank.

I did check it out today. The pressure tank is in the 6" casing, the pressure switch is about 3' down from the top. I didn't see a rope or anything to pull the pump with. Can't see anything below the pressure switch, except the pvc pipe it is on.

P2170001.JPGP2170002.JPGP2170003.JPGP2170004.JPG

Just an appropriate fitting probably to mate with one in an existing joint at washing machine, sink, toilet, ice maker, etc.

Thanks, I did think of that after I answered your post. The water heater would be the best place.

I did find something that would do what I to do. It is an AC current sensor relay. I can wire the light to it or a wireless transmitter to a light in the house, or both.

Thanks to everyone for your ideas.

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #23  
The pressure tank is in the 6" casing,

Not saying it ain't for sure, but just doesn't sound right.

A pressure tank would be of some considerable size. Just don't see how you could fit one in a 6" pipe.

Not saying it ain't for sure, but just doesn't sound right.

A pressure tank would be of some considerable size. Just don't see how you could fit one in a 6" pipe.

Here is one: In-Well Technologies - Who We Are

Do a search online for "pressure tank in the casing", and learn like I did, since I had never heard of it before also.

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #25  
Interesting, with draw down sizes being so small I'm guessing the pump runs more like a demand type system ?

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #26  
I need a way to know when the 240 volt water well pump is running.

Is there some wireless device that would turn on a light in the house when the pump is drawing current? There is no well house, We were told the pressure tank is in the casing, so I don't know if I can get to the pressure switch.

The pump is on a breaker box about 50 feet from the house. The power to that box runs underground from the meter at the transformer box that is fed by an underground line from the power pole. That breaker box feeds two other buildings.

Thanks

I will guarantee you one thing:
A few months after you install an indicator light, you will forget about looking at it.
I know, I put a monitor light on our pump when I built our house, the only time it got noticed is when a guest would occasionally ask what "that light" was for.

If you want a more practical monitor light, install a pressure switch on the water line where it enters the house, then set it slightly below your pump's cut-in pressure.
When the light comes on you'll know you have a problem because it is something you haven't become accustomed to ignoring..

Interesting, with draw down sizes being so small I'm guessing the pump runs more like a demand type system ?

I have no idea how big the tank is, but the pump just happened to come on while I was looking down the casing, it ran longer than I expected. I need to put the pressure gauge on the faucet there and check the run time.

I will guarantee you one thing:
A few months after you install an indicator light, you will forget about looking at it.
I know, I put a monitor light on our pump when I built our house, the only time it got noticed is when a guest would occasionally ask what "that light" was for.

If you want a more practical monitor light, install a pressure switch on the water line where it enters the house, then set it slightly below your pump's cut-in pressure.
When the light comes on you'll know you have a problem because it is something you haven't become accustomed to ignoring..

Yep, good advice.

A light wired that way would tell me that the pump wasn't running when it should be running. I would find that out without a light the next time I opened a faucet and saw low or no flow.

If there is a leak or a hydrant left open, I think this pump will keep the pressure above the cut-in pressure. I need to do more research after the snow melts!

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #29  
More info from a pressure gauge.

More info from a pressure gauge.

The info that I need is, Pump on pressure, pump off pressure and will it cycle while the hydrant is open, or what the pressure is, as long as the valve is open. I need to know if the running pressure drops below the turn on pressure.