Water Well Pump Monitor???

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #31  
Watch a gauge while you run water slowly. That gives you pump ON/OFF pressure and an idea of makup time. Run water variously. Note if you can stall or reverse pressure rise. After that when you glance at the gauge you will see whether it is w/i pressure and whether rising/falling/static. Rising may or may not be during water usage. Static could be pump OFF no usage or pump ON at full capacity usage. Not likely to see it balance so close that you dont see a pressure creep. A bit of experimentation and you will be able to know a lot about the state of the system and know how to check it when in doubt by observing pressure while using water or not to get it to go on or to favor it going off.

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #32  
I control my tractor block heater with a wireless remote switch that has a light bulb indicator to confirm operation.
I would think you could use this device to advantage in your situation.
That or simply wire in a monitor light or other device to the switched side of your pressure switch.
The pressure switch (grey box about 2 x 2 x 3") has 4 terminals, 2 always live (line side) and other 2 are pump side. Wire your indicator to the pump side and the monitor will be on whenever the pump runs.

/ Water Well Pump Monitor???
Thanks for every ones ideas. Several have mentioned the pressure switch, it is in the casing, but I think I can pull it up to where I can get to it. But if I wire to the switch, it doesn't tell me the the pump is running, only that it should be running. That would still work for what I need.

However for me, the AC current sensing switch will be easier to wire in, and the contacts only close when the pump is running. Now I have to get the parts, and do it to it!

Here is the current sensing switch: http://www.premieroneproducts.com/PremierOne_Products,_Inc./Accessories.html

Last edited:
   / Water Well Pump Monitor??? #34  
you have a good start so far.
All i could add is to look into a timer relay. Works like a normal relay, but after a preset delay. Wire the lamp to the relay output, and set the delay to longer than the usual pump run time.
Hose left on = lamp on.

you have a good start so far.
All i could add is to look into a timer relay. Works like a normal relay, but after a preset delay. Wire the lamp to the relay output, and set the delay to longer than the usual pump run time.
Hose left on = lamp on.

Good idea! If she does it again, I will add a siren.:laughing:

Just an update, found the AC current sensing switch on eBay, hooked it up to a light today to test it.

It works :thumbsup: Light on = pump running, light off = pump off.

I plan on putting a pressure gauge on the inlet at the water heater, thanks to Spyderlk for the idea.

Got it permanently wired, works great. Red wire, one leg, 240VAC from pump breaker through the hole in the switch.
P3070012.JPG

40 watt appliance light.
P3070015.JPG

24psi valve wide open with garden hose.
P3070016.JPG

View from house. :thumbsup:
P8030002.JPG

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #38  
I need a way to know when the 240 volt water well pump is running.

Is there some wireless device that would turn on a light in the house when the pump is drawing current? There is no well house, We were told the pressure tank is in the casing, so I don't know if I can get to the pressure switch.

The pump is on a breaker box about 50 feet from the house. The power to that box runs underground from the meter at the transformer box that is fed by an underground line from the power pole. That breaker box feeds two other buildings.

Thanks

Can't help with the monitor but...

I have never heard of a pressure tank "in the casing". It wouild have to be one HUGE sized casing, more than 24" diameter. Pressure tanks are never installed where they can't be easily maintained.

As you are one a well, you need to find all the components...at least know where they are and learn pump/tank operation and maintenance if you don't already. You will be doin some maintenance. I don't have a link to a good tutorial though.

I see that there _is_ such a thing. Real smart putting a pressure switch and tank in such an inaccesable location. Not gonna be fun at 0 dark 30 on a cold night when you need to replace it...and yes you will eventually have to do it.

From the size of the tank, it doesn't ahve much more capacity than a 'surge tank" and the pump will, unless it is a constant pressure set-up be going thorugh a lot of start/stop - that portion of its cycle is what puts most of the wear on the pump and pressure switch

Harry K

Last edited:
   / Water Well Pump Monitor??? #39  
Or just a small diameter tank that looks like the casing.:)

Can't help with the monitor but...

I have never heard of a pressure tank "in the casing". It wouild have to be one HUGE sized casing, more than 24" diameter. Pressure tanks are never installed where they can't be easily maintained.

As you are one a well, you need to find all the components...at least know where they are and learn pump/tank operation and maintenance if you don't already. You will be doin some maintenance. I don't have a link to a good tutorial though.

I see that there _is_ such a thing. Real smart putting a pressure switch and tank in such an inaccesable location. Not gonna be fun at 0 dark 30 on a cold night when you need to replace it...and yes you will eventually have to do it.

From the size of the tank, it doesn't ahve much more capacity than a 'surge tank" and the pump will, unless it is a constant pressure set-up be going thorugh a lot of start/stop - that portion of its cycle is what puts most of the wear on the pump and pressure switch

Harry K

The pressure tank is in the 6" casing along with a Cycle Stop Valve that runs 10 gallons a minute at 24 psi.
The pressure switch is on a flexible line, so it can be pulled up if need be.
The pressure switch cut in is 40 psi, off at 50 psi. The pump does not cycle off while using water.

Pump off.
P3070013.JPG

Pump on, pressure drops immediately to 24 psi and stays there.
P3070015.JPG P3070017.JPG

When you shut the faucet, pressure rises as the pressure tank fills to 50 psi, then the pump shuts off.