Water Well Pump Monitor???

/ Water Well Pump Monitor???
Pump on, pressure drops immediately to 24 psi and stays there.
View attachment 307254 View attachment 307255

When you shut the faucet, pressure rises as the pressure tank fills to 50 psi, then the pump shuts off.

I just realized that 24 psi is not the system pressure, the gauge is on a Y connector at the faucet, with a short garden hose on the other leg. If I would put a longer hose on, the pressure would go up, take the hose off and the pressure would drop to near zero. The valve I was using is in the Y connector for the hose. With that valve closed, it shows system pressure. I need to open a valve somewhere else to watch the system pressure.

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #43  
The pressure tank is in the 6" casing along with a Cycle Stop Valve that runs 10 gallons a minute at 24 psi.
The pressure switch is on a flexible line, so it can be pulled up if need be.
The pressure switch cut in is 40 psi, off at 50 psi. The pump does not cycle off while using water.

Pump off.
View attachment 307253

Pump on, pressure drops immediately to 24 psi and stays there.
View attachment 307254 View attachment 307255

When you shut the faucet, pressure rises as the pressure tank fills to 50 psi, then the pump shuts off.

Yep, "consstant pressure" set up. that tank is nothing but a small "surge tank"

Harry K

Update on the well pump monitor.

The AC Current switch is working well on the well! :) My wife noticed the light on when we weren't using any water. I found a toilet fill valve stuck open.

With the constant pressure valve and pressure tank in the well casing, the pump turns on at cut in pressure and runs at whatever RPM is necessary to match the flow required. If a second faucet is opened, the RPM's increase, there is no drop in pressure. You don't get scalded in the shower, if the toilet is flushed, since the cold water pressure doesn't drop. When water flow stops, the pressure tank fills to the cut off pressure, pump stops, light goes off.

What surprised me is the AC current draw of the pump motor is directly proportional to the water flow. Low gallons per minute = low current, high gpm = high current.

We can see the light in bright sunlight, so for now I won't put one in the house.

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #45  
<What surprised me is the AC current draw of the pump motor is directly proportional to the water flow. Low gallons per minute = low current, high gpm = high current.>

It's all about work being done.:)

Make some notes on the amp. Draw. They could be used to determine a failing pump.:)

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #46  
Kind of late into this thread, but was searching for some info on well monitoring and found this thread. Probaby going to get the current switch for my own system.

As far as the tank, it is possible it is buried as shown in the attached install diagram from Well-X-Trol, rather than in the casing which would be really odd. I also find it strange for the pressure switch to be inaccessible. My own pressure switch has a low pressure cutout feature which trips the pump off-line if the pressure gets below a certain point.

Well-X-Trol tank install manual for what it's worth.....
http://www.aquascience.net/resource/literature/WX-Installation.pdf

Attachments

• Tank Install Underground.jpg
    Tank Install Underground.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 234
Kind of late into this thread, but was searching for some info on well monitoring and found this thread. Probaby going to get the current switch for my own system.

As far as the tank, it is possible it is buried as shown in the attached install diagram from Well-X-Trol, rather than in the casing which would be really odd. I also find it strange for the pressure switch to be inaccessible. My own pressure switch has a low pressure cutout feature which trips the pump off-line if the pressure gets below a certain point.

Well-X-Trol tank install manual for what it's worth.....
http://www.aquascience.net/resource/literature/WX-Installation.pdf

The current switch is working good, it lets me know the pump is running and not just that the pressure switch closed. I put an 11 watt sign light bulb out there and can see it fine from the house.

The pressure tank is in the casing, the cycle stop valve is the key to the operation. I talked to the guy that installed the well, he said the pressure switch is on a flexible line and I can grab it and pull it up for access.

Info on pressure tank in the casing

I sure am glad that I rigged up the "pump on" light, last year. I got in the habit of looking at it every time that I washed my hands in the bathroom sink. Last night I noticed a problem, the pump would run for 2 seconds, off 4 seconds, on 2 seconds, off 4 seconds, and do that until I turned off the faucet.

Without the light, I never would have known there was a problem until the pump would have died.

The guy that installed the system many years ago came out and pulled the pressure tank. It had lost pressure down to 12 pounds. Raised it back to 42 pounds and everything is working right again! When the light is on the pump is running. :thumbsup:

For the non-believers, here is the in the casing pressure tank.

Attachments

• P8070001.JPG
    P8070001.JPG
    293.2 KB · Views: 161
  • P8070003.JPG
    P8070003.JPG
    285.8 KB · Views: 180
   / Water Well Pump Monitor??? #49  
Wow! You need an above ground way of keeping the pre charge on the accumulator/tank.

Wow! You need an above ground way of keeping the pre charge on the accumulator/tank.

Yep, that would have saved us $140. This is the first time in nine years, so we will see how long it lasts now.