Water Well Pump Monitor???

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #1  

Xfaxman

Super Star Member
Tractor
Toolcat 5610 G - Bobcat V417 - TORO+Loader
I need a way to know when the 240 volt water well pump is running.

Is there some wireless device that would turn on a light in the house when the pump is drawing current? There is no well house, We were told the pressure tank is in the casing, so I don't know if I can get to the pressure switch.

The pump is on a breaker box about 50 feet from the house. The power to that box runs underground from the meter at the transformer box that is fed by an underground line from the power pole. That breaker box feeds two other buildings.

Thanks

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #2  
The short answer is "yes, but how much is it going to cost you." There are all sorts of home-automation monitoring devices out there. I can do a little research and try to point you towards specific links, but the first question is, if it costs you a few hundred dollars is that okay?

/ Water Well Pump Monitor???
Yes, knowing I don't have a leak, or the hydrant didn't get shut off at the horse water tank (this morning), is priceless!

Any info will be muchly appreciated.

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #6  
I sent you a PM

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #7  
Yes, knowing I don't have a leak, or the hydrant didn't get shut off at the horse water tank (this morning), is priceless!

Well, so here is a whole-house system that may be more than you are looking for, but I believe it will show what you want: eMonitor Electricity Monitor Service | Circuit-by-Circuit Energy Monitor | Energy Circle

This is not an off-the-shelf system, but it seems to do what you are looking for: Stick-on Wireless Circuit Breaker Current Monitoring - YouTube

This white paper describes several companies (Powerzoa, EnergyHub, and TalkingPlug) that make equipment to do what you're looking for--although I'm not certain that any of the equipment works on 240v, but it may get you started in the right direction. http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2012/EECS-2012-152.pdf

As you can see, the off-the-shelf solutions tend to be whole-house monitoring systems, although I'm sure they'll work just as well with one circuit as they would with twenty. If you have a little ability to hack things together, something based on an Arduino board may be within reach, and would probably be a lot cheaper, although require a lot more work to build.

/ Water Well Pump Monitor???
Well, so here is a whole-house system that may be more than you are looking for, but I believe it will show what you want: eMonitor Electricity Monitor Service | Circuit-by-Circuit Energy Monitor | Energy Circle

This is not an off-the-shelf system, but it seems to do what you are looking for: Stick-on Wireless Circuit Breaker Current Monitoring - YouTube

This white paper describes several companies (Powerzoa, EnergyHub, and TalkingPlug) that make equipment to do what you're looking for--although I'm not certain that any of the equipment works on 240v, but it may get you started in the right direction. http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/Pubs/TechRpts/2012/EECS-2012-152.pdf

As you can see, the off-the-shelf solutions tend to be whole-house monitoring systems, although I'm sure they'll work just as well with one circuit as they would with twenty. If you have a little ability to hack things together, something based on an Arduino board may be within reach, and would probably be a lot cheaper, although require a lot more work to build.

Thanks, I will check these out.

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #9  
I hooked up a light bulb (keyless fixture) only came off one side of the switch (110V)...when the pump is running the light is on...
If you don't have 3 insulated conductors you can still run the light with a ground line that will act as a neutral...

/ Water Well Pump Monitor??? #10  

I have a 120 volt clorinator on my well system that only runs when the pump does so i could just plug in a light there if needed. Could you not just run light off one leg of the 240v pump line?