Ugly Americans - What to Do

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #81  
If you go out thinking you're going to run into "ugly Americans" that's exactly what you'll find. There have always been a few rude people in every circumstance and always will be. Once you start thinking they are in the majority and you start globalizing, i.e. all the handicap spaces are always taken up by people without placards - then the world becomes as you perceive it, not necessarily the world as it really is.

I shop in Walmart all the time. Folks in there seem mostly normal to me. With that in mind - most of the population in this country lives in urban areas. What sort of stereotypical thinking do you suppose they would be guilty of if someone asked them to formulate an opinion about a bunch of country folk who sit around on their computers and jabber on about their tractors? Do you think you would be viewed as intellectual or forward-thinking? Or more likely as just a bunch of hicks who ride around on their tractors in their pajamas? :p

I'm thinkin they would think we shop at Walmart........but for the record......I don't own any pajamas and you don't want to know what I wear when on the tractor.....lets just say....it ain't pretty!:laughing:

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #82  
[/B]

I'm thinkin they would think we shop at Walmart........but for the record......I don't own any pajamas and you don't want to know what I wear when on the tractor.....lets just say....it ain't pretty!:laughing:
Or sitting here typing at my computer:laughing:

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #83  
I try to represent my country in a positive way (harder and harder to do with our government). Was back in the Philippines about two years ago, riding a Victory Liner bus for the hour long trip back to Olongapoe. All seats were full, I had one. At another stop, a young man got on with a young child he was holding on his hip. I stood up and gave him my seat. I standed for the next 30 minutes... I'm still young enough to do that. Bet that guy will never forget me next time I ride a Victory Liner bus.

"aim high Olongapoe"

mark

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #84  
Try finding a "Handicapped Parking Space". Most of them are occupied by people with no decals, licenses, and are perfectly healthy. Sometimes the people back into the spaces to conceal their plates. In the Food Lion shopping center here, people will park in the Handicapped spaces when they get their nails done or eat in the restaurants.

I was at the grocery and while putting bags into my truck a healthy blond bimbo pulled into the handcapped space - "Oh look a space right next to the door".
I finished up and headed in and found her in the produce section.
"You parked in the handicapped zone. They're towing your car."
Startled expression, headed right out.
Yup, rude, self centered and dumb as a doorknob.
I just smiled and left.

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #85  
I use to knock on windows of cars parked in fire zones and rant... not anymore, good way to get shot. Don't want to post in the "every been shot" thread.

mark

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #86  
I was at the grocery and while putting bags into my truck a healthy blond bimbo pulled into the handcapped space - "Oh look a space right next to the door".
I finished up and headed in and found her in the produce section.
"You parked in the handicapped zone. They're towing your car."
Startled expression, headed right out.
Yup, rude, self centered and dumb as a doorknob.
I just smiled and left.

Sometimes, the problem can be the other way around....

My sister was traveling in Ireland, as a single Canadian tourist. On a bus, she finally relented when she could see that the older gentleman was starting to get upset.

He (with a cane) was insisting that she take his seat, which at first she would not accept. She was young, in good shape, not pregnant, and no kids with her so at first she refused since she was capable of standing for hours.

Sometimes (unfortunately) hospitality and manners are so far above what you are used to, that it can confuse the heck out of you !

What I don't understand are the jurisdictions that don't enforce Handicapped Parking violations, including near me. Most gubmints around here are more than happy to issue tickets for any/no reason (other than revenue generation), I can't see why Handicapped violations would be hard to enforce. Write a ticket, snap a picture of the plate and/or empty dash with no sticker, done.

The gubmints would get their revenue, the "beautiful" people might start to learn something if they get a $300 ticket for parking in the wrong spot that somebody else with a serious problem needs....... I'd sooner see that enforced than people getting ticketed for cutting down a weed tree on their own property.

(Don't get me wrong, I like trees, that was just an example of Gubmint Gone Wild ! chasing revenue, not spring-break action...... altho I might be wrong about that last bit :rolleyes:

Rgds, D.

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #87  
I use to knock on windows of cars parked in fire zones and rant... not anymore, good way to get shot. Don't want to post in the "every been shot" thread.

mark

Add this to your What to Do with a Big Lottery Win list...... I plan to buy Car Boots (wheel immobilizers) by the skid load, to be used to address the space wasters we've been discussing.

(not to block a fire route, but to help educate the other parkers as to what a real Handicap is).

Rgds, D.

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #88  
Funny, I was just in Wal-mart a couple days ago I had a cart full of garage cabinets at the check-out and the guy in front of me pays then empties his cart and throws the one bag of dog food over his shoulder looks at me and walks away leaving the cart in front of mine. I looked at him and say so you expect me to move your cart for you do you. He didn't reply so I made the comment that the world is full of idiots and you are one of them, he still didn't reply so the cashier ran from behind the counter and moved the cart.

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #89  
Add this to your What to Do with a Big Lottery Win list...... I plan to buy Car Boots (wheel immobilizers) by the skid load, to be used to address the space wasters we've been discussing.

(not to block a fire route, but to help educate the other parkers as to what a real Handicap is).

Rgds, D.
You promise to post picts and remember your good friends on TBN :laughing:

/ Ugly Americans - What to Do #90  
[/B]

I'd never operate my tractor nude, i'd be afraid of Ralphy getting caught in something, but maybe I can find some jammies with tractors on them?

Crap!! I found tractor jammies, but they are that horrible green color.......