Ice storm/winter weather prep.

/ Ice storm/winter weather prep. #1  

lutt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota ZG 22, John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew
Evening everyone, just wondering if any one in the Arkansas and the Midwest is prepared for the winter weather there forecasting. I talked to the wife tonight, there giving up to 1/4 to 3/4"s of ice,snow, and sleet by Thursday afternoon. She said they had there stuff gathered up, flashlights, extra batteries, groceries, fire wood in the garage and every thing put up. The house is natural gas with wood furnace in the basement. I am out on the LMR at work right now, so I cant be home with my family when it happens. Just wondering how everyone else prepares. Thought it might be a good thread to start. There is always lots of good info on here. LUTT

/ Ice storm/winter weather prep. #3  
lutt what is LMR?

/ Ice storm/winter weather prep.
Salt is definatly a good thing. Leejohn, you dont live to far from me, guess yall are waiting to see what the weather does also. LUTT

/ Ice storm/winter weather prep. #6  
I think I'm ready. The wife didn't go to work tonight so she well be driving me up the wall my this time tomorrow. I just hope it's not like the last ice strom. How are you guys able to stay in deep water? I have some cousins over your way, Johnston's and Stout's.

I think I'm ready. The wife didn't go to work tonight so she well be driving me up the wall my this time tomorrow. I just hope it's not like the last ice strom. How are you guys able to stay in deep water? I have some cousins over your way, Johnston's and Stout's.

I am on a very large triple screw towboat. A 9000 horse, I am the chief engineer on her right now. I grew up at Biggers, my house there is a rent house now. You could throw a rock at Current River from the front porch. I use to run around Doniphan some, went up to Lone star when they used to open the gym one night a week and play ball up there. LUTT

/ Ice storm/winter weather prep. #8  
I'm ready for it! But we never seem to get anything in southern Indiana.

/ Ice storm/winter weather prep. #9  
I was born in Success and grew up in rockford and rockton and moved back down here in 1997. The taxes and cost of living up there was way out of my range. I'm between Current View and hwy 142 on E hwy. So I haven't heard of the Lone Star. Why a 3 screw I don't think I have heard of that before. If you ever run the upper. after lock 12 going upstrem, just before that 1st hard left tune I had a cabin on the right side high up on the shore for 15 to 16 years. Could watch you guys go by all the time. Sure miss that and being in the back waters.

I believed that is what they used to call that place was Lone Star, I will have to check with a friend of mine to make sure. I used to work on the upper, I really like it up there in the summer. Triple screw have more rearend for handling the big tows we shove. We usaully take 30 loads out of St. Louis, and then 35 from Cairo down to New Orleans.The bigger boats usaully take 42 loads down. We have 3 710 G EMD engines downstairs, they are a marine version of what you see on the railroad. These new ones are 12 cyl., the old ones were 16, the boat I come off of was a 10,500 horse triple screw with the new 16 cyl. EMDs, it used to have 20 cyl. I know several people that have moved back home that used to work for GM, Deere, or the like for the same reasons you did. LUTT