Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default Re: Tactical Shotgun recommendations

What's the consensus on older vs newer models? I have heard that quality has gone down in recent years.

Tractor
    Kubota L3540HSTC

I have a synthetic Remington 870 18" barrel with extended magazine tube. Police edition. I have shot tons of Remington 870s and seen thousands of rounds go through these guns. Flawless. I have seen them treated rough and they function as smooth as a Rolex ( ok, maybe not a Rolex).

I am definitely no expert on guns. This is just my experience.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

If you have a rem870 dont buy the Winchester cheap bulk pack ammo from walmart. They have close to a 50% jamb rate after fireing in my new 870. The cheap bulk federals in the same packs right beside them same price, not a jamb in the last 100 rounds i shot??? The others would jamb the action at least one time in the 3 shot cycle when dove hunting.

As far as recoil, if your at a range shooting yea shot low recoil stuff to not be all beat up, but load that thing with the real deal. If your ever going to use it you wont notice the extra kick, even if you unload all 5 in four seconds you wont notice the kick till the next day!! Your adrenaline will be running so fast it wont matter. In a case like that i want that shot to have as much velocity as it can, to tear through what it has to. So what if i shoot holes in my windows doors and ruin my drywall on 2 sides, thats the least of your worries!!! You can always claim insurance at that point from theft i guess?? Its like when i target practice with my 30 06 after a few shots you can sure feel it, but in the woods even after 3 shots close togeather you dont even notice it.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

In my youth I was an avid duck hunter. If you hunt ducks long enough you will have tried at least one model from every make on the market. In the end I found the Benelli Super Black eagle was the best. For home defense I would opt for any other Benelli semi auto since the SBE shoots 3 1/2" shells. Trust me you do not want to enter my house at night, as I keep one of the two SBEs I own close by with 3 12" turkey loads just in case. Of course I also keep it close by just in case a Coyote or fisher cat comes in range. I've crawled through mud trying to get a shot off at a flock of Canada geese covering the gun in mud and it didn't miss a beat. I've had a buddy drop his in the nastiest swamp water and after a few shakes and some new shells it fired (with a cloud of vapor) not problem. The Benelli is a military grade gun designed to work in almost anything, kind of like the AK47.

I think you'll like the Mossberg. My first shotgun was a Stevens 22 mag/ 20 gauge over under that was heavy. Once I got a job I replaced it with a used Mossy Model 500 from a neighbor. That was my first real shotgun. The sound of the pump would put a smile on my face. It just fit me right. I bet I shot at thousands of skeet with it. But it didn't have a steel shot capable barrel so I gave it to my nephew when the feds forced duck hunters to switch to non toxic shot. Now I have semis I'm not sure if I would remember to pump the gun.
    Kubota L4240,Case 580K backhoe, Case 450 Dozer

Tractor
    '10 3320 cab

Hiya,

Thankfully I haven't had to use either in a "tactical situation" however, I consider my Mossberg 590 Military and Remington 1100 Slug to be more than able to handle such an event. I have thousands of rounds through each (mainly steel plate matches) with the only failures being from my own reloads, neither has ever gagged on factory shells. I keep the 590 bedside as the sound of a slide action going hot will hopefully end any situation before I have to engage.

Tom
    Big and little Green tractors, Orange tractors and one awesome brown dog.

"Congelo nos opus, quantum punitor ingravesco"

"Behold, like the wild azz in the desert, go I forth to my work"

Veteran Member

I have a Mossberg 500 Bullpup I am thinking about selling. Still has some sort of inspection sticker on it from the factory. I bought it from a friend who had too many guns already who got it when his uncle passed who also had too many guns (if there is such a thing) so to my friend, it was just another gun. I might of put a dozen 00 shots through it at the range one day just for fun. Rather crude weapon at best, just the sound of the slide would stop even the stupedist lowlife in their tracks. Giving my friends first crack then I will probably list it on gunbroker.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

I second the Benelli M$...but its pricy..

Then again, i have been trying to get ahold of a Saiga 12G for a few months.

Saiga-12 Fully Automatic Shotgun! | Military.com
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 1920 4x4 (traded in on Kubota). Case 480F TLB w/4 in 1 bucket, 4x4. Gehl CTL60 tracked loader, Kubota L4330 GST

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post

Thanks for posting that. Pretty impressive. What was that "special ammo" he used on the fridge?

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by jmc View Post
    Thanks for posting that. Pretty impressive. What was that "special ammo" he used on the fridge?
    About a pound of Tannerite in the fridge, and probably just a normal buckshot round in the shotgun.. Tannerite is a legal to use explosive, that only explodes when hit by something with a lot of energy.

Tannerite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast