Tactical Shotgun recommendations

/ Tactical Shotgun recommendations #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
Not to get into a huge discussion - but I do not know much about shotguns and would like to find a 12 gauge with a 18 inch barrel or so. I know finding one my be a problem, but I tend to do a lot of research and then buy. I am in no hurry so I want to get smart before I buy. this will not be used all that much. For home protection and sending a few hundred rounds through it per year to practice.

So far I have looked at the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 and the benelli nova.

I want something that is quality and reliable and will last forever. I also want something that I can change out the barrel in case I ever want to hunt with it...but that is not a priority - just a want.

So far I have looked at the pumps but is a semi auto worth the extra money? If so...why? And why do you like one model over theother...do you have or had both?

/ Tactical Shotgun recommendations #2  
I use a Police Model 500 with double odd buck for ammo.

/ Tactical Shotgun recommendations #3  
An 870 is a pretty good bet. They are pretty cheap, common, and you can often buy them used. There are also a lot of parts that you can put on them to make them more of a defense shot gun, such as stocks, shorter barrels, magazine extensions etc.

/ Tactical Shotgun recommendations #4  
Dodge man is right. 870 is one of the best guns ever made. Simple, cheap and smooth. Was in law enforcement 35 years. Always had my 870. Also very easy to bread down to clean. I would get a 24 or 26 barrel length. Why get 18 inch barrel? Then u can hunt and use for home protection. .

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Tactical Shotgun recommendations #5  
An 870 is a pretty good bet. They are pretty cheap, common, and you can often buy them used. There are also a lot of parts that you can put on them to make them more of a defense shot gun, such as stocks, shorter barrels, magazine extensions etc.

I agree ... Bought a 870 with a 28 inch barrel for under $300. (you can do better with effort) then a 18 barrel for home protection. price was about $100.

I would have liked an AR-15 but practically ... a 12 gauge can send 9 projectiles faster than the AR. You don't need tac - crap. Keep it simple and reliable.

PS the 28 inch barrel is for fun. Easy to change between the two. Unscrew the magazine cap.

/ Tactical Shotgun recommendations #7  
If you want a pump with the best safety position, get a Browning BPS.

/ Tactical Shotgun recommendations #8  
Pump shotguns are complicated. I have seen more than one person dump a round on the ground by mistake. Having said that, the 870 is used by many a law enforcement agency because they are cheap, reliable, and powerful. Just make sure you learn the manual of arms which takes practice.

A semi auto shotgun is easier to operate and the auto loader can buffer some of the recoil. Semi autos cost more though. There are stocks for the 870 that buffer the recoil as well.

Then there is the Keltec KSG, Kel Tec CNC. I have not shot one but it has nice features. Two magazines, with either six 3 inch rounds or seven 2.75 rounds, that can hold different types of rounds. The shooter flicks a switch to select the magazine. It is a bullpup design, with an 18.5 inch barrel length, so the overall weapon size is small. The MSRP is $1,200! but the quick search I did had them in the $650-900 range. Apparently the KSG is selling well and supply cannot keep up with demand the price is high.

Maybe I need a KSG for a coyote killer. :laughing::laughing::laughing: At least that would be my rationalization to the wifey. :D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ Tactical Shotgun recommendations #9  
I shoot a 887 Nitro Mag Tactical. I love it.

/ Tactical Shotgun recommendations #10  
I have a Mossberg 590 with some additions. I prefer the safety on top, but you cannot go wrong with a 500 action or 870.

Pump actions are simple and will run all ammo, might run into issues with semis and lighter loads.

Last edited: