Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn?

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #101  
Maybe this is the right thread to ask this question, since it is about barns and mice.....

I'm thinking of getting a barn cat or two to keep the mice down in our horse barn. Do you leave a small door open so the cats have access to get in/out of the barn? If so, how do you keep other critters, ie woodchucks, raccoons, skunks, out of the barn. I was thinking about a little cat door somewhere, but maybe a fox or coyote would figure that put too?

Suggestions?

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #102  
Maybe this is the right thread to ask this question, since it is about barns and mice.....

I'm thinking of getting a barn cat or two to keep the mice down in our horse barn. Do you leave a small door open so the cats have access to get in/out of the barn? If so, how do you keep other critters, ie woodchucks, raccoons, skunks, out of the barn. I was thinking about a little cat door somewhere, but maybe a fox or coyote would figure that put too?

Suggestions?

Same problem I have... I keep thinking I would put a cat door in, but don't want the other critters to get in..

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #103  
The Secret of Nihm

Ow, gawd!. I have probably watched "the mouse movie" 50 times (with the kids of course) It has been a good long while, but we darn near wore the old VHS tape out.!

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #104  

Suggestions?

Cats are agile. Put the cat door up high so that the cat has to climb a ramp or go across/through an obstacle. That should keep out most critters, maybe not raccoons though.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #105  

Suggestions?

With the right working dog around, it ends up being kind of a tag-team with the cats. Cats will filter in and out of the barn, and keep the smaller rodents under control in/near the barn. A good farm dog that is allowed to roam the yard won't stand for the larger nuisances around much.

That was the old school setup that worked well on my Grandma's (very) old bank barn. Actually, it worked well enough that until I read your post, I didn't think about it much.... and I was a young 'un that paid a lot of attention.

But we're talking old school farm.... other than as a tiny pup, or sick, the working dog was never in the farmhouse. As a youngster, I tried leading an adult farm dog into the house - it just looked at me like I was nuts. These dogs had the run of the big farmyard 24hr/day, and protected it well.

Lacking a dog, the trap door tricks suggested might work.

Rgds, D.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #106  

Suggestions?

Same problem I have... I keep thinking I would put a cat door in, but don't want the other critters to get in..

Cats are agile. Put the cat door up high so that the cat has to climb a ramp or go across/through an obstacle. That should keep out most critters, maybe not raccoons though.

Put the cat door up about 4' off the ground. Put a small shelf near it on the inside and outside. The cat can jump that high easily up to the shelf and use the door. Also, get the cat spayed or neutered and vaccinated if you're going to let it outside. There's plenty of strays that need a good home. We don't need more and if its hunting and outside it'll be more exposed to diseases.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #107  
Thanks Moss Road, that sounds like it would work. I will definitely get it spayed or neutered and shots, etc.....I always take care of my pets, even the barn cats.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn?
People I know with a cat or cats have no mice. Wife has enough with all the dogs for now. Is two cats better than one in that they will keep each other company?

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #109  
The two barn cats I have fight when they cross paths, and they are not even the same gender.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #110  

Go down to PetSmart or Petco. They have cat/dog doors that come with a collar transmitter. The door senses the collar and unlocks for only the animal wearing one

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet