Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    2003 NH TC30

Default Re: Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn?

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    The RV antifreeze is not toxic like Ethylene Glycol is.
    I'd think twice before putting mice drowned in this stuff on posts for hawks to eat.
    various items

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by tcreeley View Post
    I'd think twice before putting mice drowned in this stuff on posts for hawks to eat.
    Why? you have eaten plenty of it in foods, drinks, and medications. (propylene glycol) and so Have I. It may be killing us for all I know, but it sure is approved by our government
    James K0UA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner NRA Life Member How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN .

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota b2920

I find that snakes are most helpful with the mouse population (non poisonous of course). I had one move into my garage and suddenly the mice were gone. I can also vouch that the red tails don't seem to eat dead rodents. I've tried to feed mine plenty of times and he ignores anything that's not living. He actually appears to focus on birds and squirrels more than mice for whatever reason, though we've got plenty around. The bucket trap works good with just water, or water and a bit of RV antifreeze if its below freezing, I also use a rat zapper trap, which is decent (but don't get shocked by it)

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Why? you have eaten plenty of it in foods, drinks, and medications. (propylene glycol) and so Have I. It may be killing us for all I know, but it sure is approved by our government
    yep.. toothpaste.. cough syrup.. lots of stuff .. many products PG instead of glycerine due to cost...

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Hanomag

According to Whole Dog Journal:

~90,000 pets are poisoned each year by ingesting antifreeze.
    Antifreeze will soon have a bitter flavoring agent added to mask the sweet taste that attracts pets.
    Older antifreezes are 95% ethylene glycol, an easily absorbed alcohol.
    One teaspoon can kill an average cat.
    The minimum lethal dose in dogs is 2 ml (about 1/2 teaspoon) per pound of body weight.

Some newer antifreezes use 50% or more propylene glycol in place of ethylene glycol, but can still cause alcohol poisoning.
    Doses greater than one teaspoon per pound of body weight are potentially toxic to dogs.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

apparently whole dog journal needs to update it's records.. I think they are still living in the 50's and 60's.

true alcohol based AF is QUITE old.

as for propylene glycol

It is in the 'generally recognized as safe' category by the FDA.

It is also used in many oral and injectable preparations for materials not miscible in water.. like some benzodiazapines.

it's one of the main ingrediants in my mouth wash... a quick check showed it to be in about 20 products in my bathroom tht either go on my skin or are slightly ingestable.. or meant to be ingested.

soundguy

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

Scientists found out what causes pain in the brain for rats and mice.
    They think it may have something to do with the metal bar that hits
    them in the back of the head when they go for the cheese.
    If you say gullible really slowly........it sounds just like oranges.

Invest in America........BUY a Politician!

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Hanomag

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    apparently whole dog journal needs to update it's records.. I think they are still living in the 50's and 60's.

true alcohol based AF is QUITE old.

as for propylene glycol

It is in the 'generally recognized as safe' category by the FDA.

It is also used in many oral and injectable preparations for materials not miscible in water.. like some benzodiazapines.

it's one of the main ingrediants in my mouth wash... a quick check showed it to be in about 20 products in my bathroom tht either go on my skin or are slightly ingestable.. or meant to be ingested.

soundguy
    It is apparently the alcohol poisoning that is lethal to dogs and cats. The risk factor is how does that dose of alcohol affect a dog, and the sweet taste makes it attractive to drink.

Human alcoholics do drink mouthwash.

I'm not up on chemicals like you, but here are some quick google hits:
    According to this in 1999, Prestone contained 80-96 percent ethylene glycol. http://www.nukaresearch.com/projects...tifreezeEG.pdf
    This one, PAR coolant, was 94% ethylene glycol in May 2007. http://www.kmcoinc.com/antifreeze%20MSDS.pdf
    Castrol: 90-95 percent ethylene glycol.http://datasheets.bp.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/0/04226F062D82F07186257307004F931C/$file/014244US-Lubes%20Americas-BP%20(Wayne,%20NJ%20US).pdf

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post
    It is apparently the alcohol poisoning that is lethal to dogs and cats. The risk factor is how does that dose of alcohol affect a dog, and the sweet taste makes it attractive to drink.
    According to this in 1999, Prestone contained 80-96 percent ethylene glycol. http://www.nukaresearch.com/projects...tifreezeEG.pdf
    This one, PAR coolant, was 94% ethylene glycol in May 2007. http://www.kmcoinc.com/antifreeze%20MSDS.pdf
    Castrol: 90-95 percent ethylene glycol.http://datasheets.bp.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/0/04226F062D82F07186257307004F931C/$file/014244US-Lubes%20Americas-BP%20(Wayne,%20NJ%20US).pdf
    But the antifreeze being referred to here (for use in a mouse trap) is RV antifreeze, it is intended for use in RV waterlines to keep them from freezing and as such, non-toxic (or not very toxic at least) to living beings. Here is the MSDS for some RV antifreeze made by Prestone: MSDS PRESTONE RV ANTIFREEZE showing Propylene Glycol as the active ingredient.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor

Why do you KEEP referencing Ethylene glycol ( toxic ) antifreeze, when we are discussing propylene glycol antifreeze.

citing studies that are using data on toxic antifreeze in an argument about different materials is befuddleing????

rv antifreeze is PG.. NOT EG. your dog people apparently are 4 decades behind the times.. or are otherwise intentional obfuscating the issue for some reason???

Quote Originally Posted by dave1949 View Post

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast