Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn?

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn?
Five more caught and a new theory on this. I didn't pay much attention at first but realize all I have been catching is male mice. I cannot recall catching a female in the last 40 to 50 or so mice. So while maybe females, or even mice in general stay within a small radius but maybe the males strike outgreat distances in search of females during the onset of the spring breeding season? Could happen.

On the other hand it's a little disappointing knowing I am involved in a sustainable mouse management program by only catching males.

Five more caught and a new theory on this. I didn't pay much attention at first but realize all I have been catching is male mice. I cannot recall catching a female in the last 40 to 50 or so mice. So while maybe females, or even mice in general stay within a small radius but maybe the males strike outgreat distances in search of females during the onset of the spring breeding season? Could happen.

On the other hand it's a little disappointing knowing I am involved in a sustainable mouse management program by only catching males.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #83  
That's a lot of mice. It would be interesting to know if mice are entering and leaving the building, and how often. Without snow on the ground, I can't think of a good way to find out. It sounds like one of those situations that once you figure out what exactly is going on, the solution will present itself.

I'm catching the most in a pole barn with a gravel floor and they could easily come in under the three big sliding doors. That looks like what is happening.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #85  
That's a lot of mice. It would be interesting to know if mice are entering and leaving the building, and how often. Without snow on the ground, I can't think of a good way to find out. It sounds like one of those situations that once you figure out what exactly is going on, the solution will present itself.

flour or baby powder on the floor?

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #87  

That is funny. Just catching male mice :laughing::laughing::laughing:
I never considered anyone would check that part out. At least you are whittling down the population and they will run out soon or later. When it gets to the point where you are only catching one or so every week, then it is boring.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #88  
That is funny. Just catching male mice :laughing::laughing::laughing:
I never considered anyone would check that part out. At least you are whittling down the population and they will run out soon or later. When it gets to the point where you are only catching one or so every week, then it is boring.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I've never looked :laughing: Could be the local Gay Barn hangout I guess. (I shouldn't make those kind of jokes.)

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #89  
They're probably coming inside to get your bait. Without bait you may find that they don't come inside... I'd say the number you can catch is infinite if they're coming in from the surrounding areas. I know that i have a ridiculous number of mice around my house and garage, the only way to control them inside is to keep them out. That way the ones I do catch are the very small number that find a way in (which i still haven't figured out, i get about 1 per month). I think your problem is sealing rather than trapping... otherwise you'll have to decimate the entire local mouse population to really make a dent.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #90  
Mice populations boom and crash. Two years ago the deer mice were everywhere, I trapped 6 or 8 in the garage. One chewed its way through the overhead door seal even.

The next year, the population crashed. We had ticks like never before. Supposedly, with the crash in mice population which normally hosts ticks, that left the ticks looking for an alternate blood meal source.

Ya just can't win. :)