Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn?

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
In my 40 x 60 pole barn with a gravel floor I have been trapping mice since fall and seem to be able to catch an unlimited supply. I don't get it. I'm easily over 100 and can catch them nearly as soon as I set the trap. I seem to be catching them at the same rate I did last fall when I started. So I ask, is there a limit to this or am I just sending out vibes for all the local mice to head over to my barns for the peanut butter?

I have a couple non-farm neighbors starting at 500 feet away and the nearest farm maybe 1/8 th of a mile. Just corn and bean fields surround me and I keep them clean with tillage and all the grass around them mowed. The farm ground goes for miles around me.

I also have a 40 x 60 pole barn with a concrete floor but have only caught a few in there. Apparently harder to get into.

Will I eventually run out of mice or are they coming from great distances for the shelter of my barn? Is trapping doing more harm than good by expanding the overall supply to replentish the victims? Is nature filling the void? Any ideas or advice here? Anyone else trap infinite numbers of mice?

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #2  
Sounds like they have a good established community centered around a good food source...I'd try some poison...Or talk to their leader:laughing:...sorry...lol

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #3  
I use the 5 gallon bucket method with ramp , suspended pop can over a pool of rv antifreeze. I caught 3 dozen the first week and a half i put it out

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #4  
I think the limit would be set by how far, the furthest mouse away from your barn would be willing to travel to enter your barn. I think the upper limit would be something like,,,,,, huge,,, if the weather and food supply were right to support the population.

If you trap mice without using poisons, try placing the dead ones on top of the fence posts to attract red tails. Can't have enough of those around to suite me.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn?
Sounds like they have a good established community centered around a good food source...I'd try some poison...Or talk to their leader:laughing:...sorry...lol

Can't use poison because of the dogs plus I don't like the smell. More that that, my wife won't let me.
Their leader won't return my calls.

.... try placing the dead ones on top of the fence posts to attract red tails. Can't have enough of those around to suite me.

Wow, that's a great idea. I thought they only liked live mice and wouldn't eat dead things?

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #6  
Can't use poison because of the dogs plus I don't like the smell. More that that, my wife won't let me.
Their leader won't return my calls.

Wow, that's a great idea. I thought they only liked live mice and wouldn't eat dead things?

I'll try and take a picture of my trap the rv antifreeze is non toxic should the dogs get into, the mice also dont smell after they flunk the swimming test

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #7  
Well, I am no expert, I would think that if they saw one on top of a post they would at least come down to take a peek. But the crows will take care of any you put out for sure.

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #8  
Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn?

Let's see.... guesstimating the volume of your pole barn - 40'x60'x10' = 24,000 ft^3 plus say another half that for the loft, so 36,000 ft^3. I couldn't find a source for the volume of a field mouse, so we'll approximate with a cylinder of 4" length and 1" diameter, which is roughly 6.3 in^3. Ignoring the open spaces between the mice, as they can be squished closer together.... That comes out to roughly 9,874,285 mice can be trapped inside a barn. I'm guessing it'd take a long time to get that many mice and stuff them into the barn though, so the ones on the bottom will probably start decomposing giving you room for more. But if you've only put 100 in your barn so far, you have a long way to go before you run out of room.

Keith

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn?
Darn math majors and Descartes loyalists. :laughing:

/ Is there a limit to the number of mice you can trap in a barn? #10  
I wonder if there are any high spots--dead trees, poles, etc.--on which hawks can perch and watch for mice?

What you need are some good predators. Do a little research and create appropriate habitat. In your case, unlike on another thread, don't shoot the coyotes!

Beyond that, the bucket trap works well and will accumulate several mice at a time. Mice travel along the edges of buildings, so place your traps there.