Squirrel Trouble Again

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #32  
We bought an old farmhouse 30 years ago that had lots of chipmunks and squirrels around and some got in the house. I forget the exact number I killed but i'm thinking 75. I used a pellet rifle with flat tipped pellets and body shots. Then we got a cat problem solved.

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #33  
Squirrel is a traditional ingredient in Brunswick stew in NC and in KY they have Burgoo(sp) that sounds like a similar dish. I think most people just eat the Squirrels fried or sauteed. Squirrel brains in scrambled eggs is a traditional dish in the South. I just read that there are cases linking Squirrel brain consumption to Mad Cow diseases.

Later,
Dan

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #34  
We always, parboiled them, (boiled them until they were mostly done) and then coated them with flour and fried them in lard. I know lard is not good for you but it tastes better than what we use now. When they are done take them out and make gravy with the drippins. GOOOOOD!!!! :squirrel: :drool:

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #35  
Squirrel populations vary from year to year with the feed crop. Poor seed crop, fewer squirrels. Lots of trees that produce large seeds, the seed crop differences may not show much. A few years ago we had them under the house, in the garage, in the barn. Live trapped and drowned them. Next year, no seed crop, no squirrel problem.

When we moved into our house in the woods in Montana we had a lot of them, but after 3 years we hardly saw any more. May have been the seed crop or may have been our cat, or a little of both.

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #36  
We had red squirrels everywhere in 2007-8. My neighbor shot 275 in 07 and 150 in 08. We shot a lot here, but we didn't keep track of them.

We still have winter here, snow everywhere and 8 degrees last night. I managed to get two so far.

I have a weasel living here that likes the free meals he gets when I shoot squirrels.

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #37  
Oh yeah, we eat'em alright! And me hound helps out getting rid of the rascals. One she caught yesterday before he could get up a tree:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    842.2 KB · Views: 114
   / Squirrel Trouble Again #38  
Squirrel is a traditional ingredient in Brunswick stew in NC and in KY they have Burgoo(sp) that sounds like a similar dish. I think most people just eat the Squirrels fried or sauteed. Squirrel brains in scrambled eggs is a traditional dish in the South. I just read that there are cases linking Squirrel brain consumption to Mad Cow diseases.

Later,
Dan

When I was a kid, we killed and ate every squirrel we could find; always fried. And when we skinned them, we skinned the head, too. Thoroughly washed and then fried along with the rest of the squirrel, the head gave you one good bite of meat from each cheek, and then we cracked open the head and ate the brains, too. And I've read some of the stories of the illnesses caused by eating squirrel brains. Maybe I can use that as an excuse for the way I am.:laughing:

I never heard of using squirrel brains in scrambled eggs, but calf brains in scrambled eggs is very good. It seems that the grocery stores used to all have the calf brains, but I don't know of any that do anymore since the mad cow scare. And there used to be one very popular 24 hour a day restaurant in Dallas that had calf brains and scrambled eggs on the menu. And when we butchered hogs, we had hog brains in the scrambled eggs, too. However, I've never seen hog brains in a grocery store or on a café menu.

/ Squirrel Trouble Again #39  
Squirrel is some of the best wild game there is, but the old timers will tell you that it's not right unless you leave the heads on so you can pick the brains out. I cut the head off when I skin em.